FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Palin E-mails Due for Release .... what next ....?





deanhills
What next? Is it really necessary for the public to see all of Sarah Palin's e-mails? Isn't that going a little above and beyond the need for being informed about Palin? I don't particularly like Palin, but why this heavy duty scrutiny? No wonder there are no worthy candidates available for being nominated for President. Unless she has done something criminal, and there is a suspicion of sorts, I don't see why her e-mails had to be combed through at the expense of tax payers no less in order to make them available to the press and the public. Sort of boggles the mind completely. Evil or Very Mad
Ankhanu
As a public servant here in Canada, all of my work emails are open to public scrutiny, should a request be made through the Access to Information Act. Generally AIA is only invoked when there's a "story" happening, as it is expensive for the person/group making the request.

I'm not certain if the US has a similar law/act, but it would surprise me if they didn't. As much of a pain in the ass that Access to Information is, it's utterly critical for concepts of governmental transparency.

Public figures (governmental) should always be aware that anything they do with official media (computers, papers, etc.) is potentially open to the public. If you don't want something to be part of the public record, or known outside of a couple people: don't write it down, don't email it... at least not with anything belonging to the government Razz
Personal emails are a different story. AIA can get all my work emails, but my gmail account is mine.
Bondings
@deanhills, what and how exactly is this going to happen? It's the first time I hear about this. Do you maybe have a link to a news article about it?

I do think that emails (and other actions) in government functions should be recorded and audited and maybe made public after a significant amount of time (tens of years), depending if there are secrets that still need to be kept or not. And if I'm not mistaken, this is already partially the case in the USA (which I think is a good think) and unfortunately not in a lot of other countries.

But showing them to the public, especially private emails, should not happen. But considering I'm not aware of the exact issue, it's a bit hard to make a specific comment about this case. Wink
Bikerman
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35238034/ns/politics/t/palin-e-mails-reveal-powerful-first-dude/
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
But showing them to the public, especially private emails, should not happen. But considering I'm not aware of the exact issue, it's a bit hard to make a specific comment about this case. Wink
Oops sorry. I usually include links and must have skipped it this time. I think I found it in either BBC or Yahoo!News. Yahoo!News has plenty information on it. Apparently she had an e-mail account with Yahoo as well, and contents of that had to be released for scrutiny as well.

This is the main reason why the media is interested in her e-mails:
Quote:
The episodes of most interest in the emails are likely to be Palin's messages during various ethics inquiries during her first term. That includes the scandal known as "Troopergate," in which Palin was accused of pressuring public safety officials to fire her estranged brother-in-law, an Alaska state trooper who was going through a bitter divorce from her sister.


My main beef was the cost to the State of scrutinizing her e-mails before they were released, as obviously some of the e-mails would have to be withheld due to privacy laws that they may fall under and they would have needed plenty of staff to work through each and every e-mail. But it would seem that there is a nice and hefty cost in obtaining copies of the e-mails. On the other hand, I've just noticed people are copying some of the e-mails along viral lines.
Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) – The state of Alaska on Friday released more than 24,000 pages of former Governor Sarah Palin's emails, shedding some light on how the possible Republican presidential contender conducted business.

The printed emails to and from Palin, who abruptly quit as governor of the oil-rich state nearly two years ago, were made available to those willing to pay $725 for copies and hundreds of dollars more in delivery fees.

Nine hours later, almost one half of the emails had been scanned and posted online by various media websites.

Most of the emails so far reviewed concern fairly dry day-to-day workings of the governor's office, punctuated by the folksy language she has become known for: "You bet!"

Much of the correspondence comes from one of Palin's Yahoo accounts -- gov.sarah@yahoo.com -- which she often used from her BlackBerry.
jmi256
Bondings wrote:
@deanhills, what and how exactly is this going to happen? It's the first time I hear about this. Do you maybe have a link to a news article about it?

I do think that emails (and other actions) in government functions should be recorded and audited and maybe made public after a significant amount of time (tens of years), depending if there are secrets that still need to be kept or not. And if I'm not mistaken, this is already partially the case in the USA (which I think is a good think) and unfortunately not in a lot of other countries.

But showing them to the public, especially private emails, should not happen. But considering I'm not aware of the exact issue, it's a bit hard to make a specific comment about this case. Wink


I have less of a problem with government-related communications being open to the public (I believe it helps to keep politicians somewhat honest if they know someone might audit their communications), but rather the very partisan and vicious way these so-called news organizations targeted Palin’s emails in an attempt to carry water for the Democratic party. I didn’t see any similar “truth digging” from the NYT, etc. when Obama was running. In fact, they basically gave him a pass and acted as his PR organization. That’s fine if they want to do that as a private organization, but at least be transparent about it.

I think by drudging through her emails in such a blatantly partisan way, however, they overplayed their hand and have basically exposed themselves as Obama’s beeotches. That, coupled with the fact that Palin came out looking like a pretty decent governor and none of the hidden scandals they hoped would surface presented themselves, leaves a lot of egg on their faces.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
I think by drudging through her emails in such a blatantly partisan way, however, they overplayed their hand and have basically exposed themselves as Obama’s beeotches. That, coupled with the fact that Palin came out looking like a pretty decent governor and none of the hidden scandals they hoped would surface presented themselves, leaves a lot of egg on their faces.
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but with Palin I believe she brought it upon herself. She's had a ongoing comedy of errors and conflict with the media from the very beginning when she was made Vice President elect. Anyway, I can just imagine all people aspiring to political positions being very careful what they put in their e-mails now. Wonder whether Blackberry texting would count as well? Twisted Evil
Related topics
Australian state to ban workplace e-mail spying
Gates: 'Information overload' is overblown
Bogus Microsoft Security Update Circulates
Google to Release Desktop 2 Beta
Leave yourself a secret note for the year 2025
I keep getting error e-mails
guitartabs.cc has been shut down
[Problema] E-mails năo funcionam
[suporte] Redirecionamento de e-mails
Troopergate: The Palin record of abusing power
Dem's Global Warming Debacle
SCAM E-MAILS
Obama inc. enforces greenhouse gas emissions, exempts GE!
Major Threats Against Doctor who Found the Cure for Obesity
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.