FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Very High Idle GPU Temperature

weableandbob
So, I installed my GTX 480 today, and SpeedFan says that the GPU temperature stays at a constant 71 Celsius... That seems abnormally high to me since my older card idled at around 45-50. I checked the card to make sure the fan was running, and it was. Is this normal, abnormal, or is SpeedFan just messing up?
Ankhanu
That's high.

I can't really address the reasons, it could be any number of things...
I assume when you checked the card the heatsink was clean?
Is there anything blocking airflow to/around the card?
Is there a fan on the case?
What rate is SpeedFan saying the GPU fan is spinning? The fan could be going on you...
It's possible SpeedFan is giving bad numbers back, and that could be an issue with software compatibility or the card is reporting incorrectly, it's hard to say.
thnn
weableandbob wrote:
So, I installed my GTX 480 today, and SpeedFan says that the GPU temperature stays at a constant 71 Celsius... That seems abnormally high to me since my older card idled at around 45-50. I checked the card to make sure the fan was running, and it was. Is this normal, abnormal, or is SpeedFan just messing up?

Does your card manufacturer provide some kind of card utility. For example my friend who has a GTX580 has a program that allows him to overclock the card, but also see the speed of the fan, temperatures etc. I would recommend seeing what a program like this says, just incase for some reason SpeedFan is reporting it wrong.

And yes 71 is far too hot for idle. My ATI Radeon runs around 40.
weableandbob
I can't find any temperature meter in the nVidia Control Panel like there was for my ATI card, but I downloaded another monitoring program and it says it idles around 45 degrees, which is much more reasonable. My guess is that SpeedFan is just messing up.

Edit: I'm not so sure anymore. both my GPU temperature gadget and CPUID Hardware Monitor are saying it idles around 70 Celsius with the fan at ~1600 RPM. It's also a new card, so I doubt it's a dirty heatsink, and I have plenty of fans in my case (3 Intake, 3 Exhaust).

Edit 2: After several weeks of monitoring the temperatures while playing games, it doesn't seem to be a problem. The GPU never gets above 78 Celsius except in Bad Company 2 when I have HBAO turned on (now turned off because there's not much of a difference).