FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Signatures

truespeed
I don't think there is a way of doing it on phpbb2,but it would be useful if people were only allowed to add sigs after a set number of posts,there seems to be an upsurge in spam on here,with lots of new members making one or two posts,either copy paste or one liners just to add a couple of links to their sigs.

I come across them every time i am here,i report the ones i see and i am sure others do too,but i am sure a lot slip the net.
deanhills
Excellent suggestion Truespeed! I've noticed those too and reported them like you did. Have you noticed however that some posters put spam links at the bottom of their posts? They are not as noticeable. For me they are the equivalent of Spam Light!

Wonder whether your suggestion for a delay in signatures can automatically kick in at the point where the new Frihoster has acquired Free Website space?
mahirh
IMHO believes that the idea of disabling signatures until a point where a user acquires hosting is a good one , some people just don't want hosting but likes to help the society. so they dont request hosting. but still they must be eligible to use signatures
sonam
truespeed wrote:
I don't think there is a way of doing it on phpbb2,but it would be useful if people were only allowed to add sigs after a set number of posts,there seems to be an upsurge in spam on here,with lots of new members making one or two posts,either copy paste or one liners just to add a couple of links to their sigs.

I come across them every time i am here,i report the ones i see and i am sure others do too,but i am sure a lot slip the net.

I don't think this is very important because all links in signature have no follow tag and this prevent search engine to follow posted link. In that case spamming is stopped in the start.

BUT! I have one more idea. If is possible to remove no follow tag for regular posters and in that case give them good quality link.

Sonam
Ankhanu
truespeed wrote:

That would be rather handy on the admin side... would also reduce the number of reports I make too Wink
GoldenEagle
Many sites I'm on don't allow you to have a signature until you have like 25+ posts. I think something like that might have some value here as well.
truespeed
sonam wrote:

I don't think this is very important because all links in signature have no follow tag and this prevent search engine to follow posted link. In that case spamming is stopped in the start.

Spamming isn't stopped though,i see links from spammers on here every day,the only thing that will stop them is the ability to add links.

Its possible they will just add the links to the post i suppose making them look like signatures. (I had to delete a couple of these on my forum today)

sonam wrote:

BUT! I have one more idea. If is possible to remove no follow tag for regular posters and in that case give them good quality link.

Sonam

I think they do this on sitepoint,perhaps another option would be to be able to buy a dofollow sig link with coins.
GoldenEagle
truespeed wrote:

I think they do this on sitepoint,perhaps another option would be to be able to buy a dofollow sig link with coins.

How does one control this sort of thing? Is it an HTML thing?

Thanks.
truespeed
GoldenEagle wrote:
truespeed wrote:

How does one control this sort of thing? Is it an HTML thing?

Thanks.

Just found this on google,it explains how to make links in messages in phpbb3 forums into nofollow,i assume it will be just a code edit to do the same for sigs.

Edit:

Theres actually a phpbb2 mod for sig links here. (nofolow/dofollow based on number of posts)
adri
I would just make a code that enables you to put links in your signature after x number of posts. It's a standard feature in vBulletin, I think...

adri
sonam
truespeed wrote:
sonam wrote:

Spamming isn't stopped though,i see links from spammers on here every day,the only thing that will stop them is the ability to add links.

Its possible they will just add the links to the post i suppose making them look like signatures. (I had to delete a couple of these on my forum today)

sonam wrote:

Sonam

Disabling signature is not good because the new members like to promote their sites or write something personality. And disabling of signature didn't stop spammers to post links in body of message and hide like sign.

In other hand allowing dofollow signature after some post (buying is also OK) will keep members stick with frihost. I am member of few other forums because they have open signature and I like post there because this promote my sites.

Sonam
cybersa
My Idea:
Minimum 10 post to add signature.

It is not large.
So,Peoples not hate this.
Bondings
I agree with sonam on this issue. I don't think any of these measures will stop the spamming significantly and a lot of new members do like/need to post url's and want signatures.

By the way, another downside of this measure would be that the signature spammers would need to spam at least 10 posts to add their spammy signature and it might only get noticed afterwards. Hence it might result in more spam that is harder (later) noticed.

The links are already nofollow for a long time and it didn't deter much spam, it does help us from search engine penalties because of spammy links.

Finally, a lot of the non-bot spam (we rarely if ever get spam by bots by my knowledge) is done by paid employees in low-wage countries. Those don't really care for all these measures, they are mostly paid by post or sometimes by the hour. If a link is not accepted, they will simply make it a plaintext link or even break it in parts just to get the post through.
ocalhoun
Aren't signatures not displayed to non-logged-in users (including search engines)?
So, wouldn't the whole follow/non-follow issue be moot anyway, since the links aren't even visible to search engines at all?
Ghost Rider103
This may be a good opportunity to make good use of the old Frih$ and coins again.

Being able to purchase signature space with the currency of either Coins or Frih$. I realize some users can have a difficult time gaining coins, so even new users would have the option to work for coins and/or frih$ using the Marketplace and/or Contest forums.

Or setting a limit of a certain number of posts before a signature can be used is a great idea as well.

But spam or no spam, this would be kind of cool to have.