FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can you tell if a site is nofollow?

GoldenEagle
I have heard a lot of people talking about this nofollow thing for getting backlinks to your site. How can you tell if a site has a nofollow link setup? Is there a way to make your site not a no follow?
the-guide
GoldenEagle wrote:
I have heard a lot of people talking about this nofollow thing for getting backlinks to your site. How can you tell if a site has a nofollow link setup?

Did you mean how to check if a site has a nofollow or dofollow link setup? If so, you can check nofollow
and dofollow links of any site by view the page source code, and then simply search for “nofollow” tag.

However there are some Firefox Plugins that help you check that easier without viewing the page
source code, only within a simple right click in the page and selecting the plugins, you can check
nofollow or dofollow.

You must install the plugins first. Here's for an example...
Code:
http://ninoholic.com/how-to-check-nofollow-dofollow-links-with-simplest-way.html

With this plugin the links in the page will highlighted to indicate each link no follow or do follow. The
blue highlight are dofollow links while the red highlight are nofollow links.

GoldenEagle wrote:
Is there a way to make your site not a no follow?

You can remove them directly from you source code, manually.

If you use Blogger simply follow this link....
Code:
http://webstractions.blogspot.com/2007/05/removing-nofollow-from-blogger-styled.html

If you use Wordpress, just use the simple Remove-Nofollow plugin removes the "nofollow" attribute.
Code:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/remove-nofollow/

GoldenEagle
Thanks! I've asked this question quite a few times and haven't really had anyone get back to me on it. I'm glad that it's something that's really easy to check and fix.

I'm planning on using my blog with a fairly high PR on some of my categories to help my new site get off the ground. Getting some dofollow linking on my sites would be really helpful!

Thanks again!
the-guide
You're welcome. Very glad that it's useful for you.

GoldenEagle
After looking a little closer, I'm not not sure this is going to do what I want it to.
Quote:

Now do a search for nofollow in your expanded template. You can either use your browser menu by clicking on Edit>Find in page or via the keyboard Ctrl-F. When the dialog box comes up, type in nofollow, and enter.

You should come across a line of code that looks something like this:

Code:
          <dt class='comment-author' expr:id='"comment-" + data:comment.id'>
            <a expr:name='"comment-" + data:comment.id'/>
            <b:if cond='data:comment.authorUrl'>
              <a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl'  rel='nofollow'><data:comment.author/></a>
            <b:else/>
              <data:comment.author/>
            </b:if>
            <data:commentPostedByMsg/>
          </dt>

Delete the portion of the code that says rel='nofollow' and Save Your Template.

I just want to make a single link (or 2) into a dofollow link for my own site. I guess that can built into the <a> tag as a modifier?

Thanks for your additional help.
the-guide
Just remove rel='nofollow' from the code and the link will be dofollow link by default (no need to add rel='dofollow' or anything else into the code).

For Blogger Template in this case it should be...

Code:
          <dt class='comment-author' expr:id='"comment-" + data:comment.id'>
            <a expr:name='"comment-" + data:comment.id'/>
            <b:if cond='data:comment.authorUrl'>
              <a expr:href='data:comment.authorUrl'><data:comment.author/></a>
            <b:else/>
              <data:comment.author/>
            </b:if>
            <data:commentPostedByMsg/>
          </dt>

... and the commentator's links in your blog comment will be dofollow links.

lovelyviki
you can view it page source, search your link, check your link .
you can find whether there is "no follow ".
nepalstar
What's the meaning of NO FOLLOW? and what's the benefit of no follow..?
GoldenEagle
Ok, so I checked the HTML code for the links on my blog and there was no value for REL= . I'm not concerned about the comments. I'm concerned about the links I post in my actual blog bodies.
sonam
nepalstar wrote:
What's the meaning of NO FOLLOW? and what's the benefit of no follow..?

No follow links stop search engine to follow some link. For example if you have on you site some link to second site with rel="nofollow" the search engines will never go from your site to this second site. Benefit is on blogs and forums where is lot of out going links (e.g. sigs) and very less number of in coming links. In that case this blogs and forums don't loose link exchange balance and position in search engine.

Sonam
prcys
Right Ms. sonam that if we find rel="nofollow" then we can consider it as nofollow link. And nofollow link helps to search engine by indicating that the link has no any effect on ranking and indexing. And thus search engine not consider that link and ignore it and give the best result to user.
Derekmoore
You can simply download the NoDoFollow add-on provided by microsoft. and while going through the forum right-click and select NoDoFollow and if the links turn red that means the site is NO FOLLOW.. Wink

----------------------
Online stores