FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Latvija

BarStone
Latvia changed its president

I think that this does not affect the world.
New is the President of Andris Berzins.
I know that he is a old man.
Do not know.
Ankhanu
Cool.
What's the potential impact upon Latvia and the world? Who's the new president? What are his/her outlooks? How much opposition are they likely to face to implement their agendas?

I.e. Why'd you make the thread, what's the perspective here?
coolclay
Interesting, I wasn't aware that Latvia got a new pres. I am curious as well, what is your view on the new pres. good, bad etc. I have to admit I not real up on my Latvia politics but would love to learn more about it!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Interesting, I wasn't aware that Latvia got a new pres. I am curious as well, what is your view on the new pres. good, bad etc. I have to admit I not real up on my Latvia politics but would love to learn more about it!
Perhaps it is an indication of the level of democracy. People don't particularly care, a President's a President? Twisted Evil On the other hand, this YouTube upload from a Latvian does tell the story. They're not too impressed with the new guy:

This is a report about the appointment in the BBC - looks as though Latvia has the same problems as Egypt.
Quote:
Mr Berzins defeated incumbent Valdis Zatlers, winning the support of 53 MPs out of 100 in a parliamentary ballot.

The outgoing president had called for radical reforms to curb the corrupting influence of oligarchs.

Mr Berzins, 66, is a former banker turned politician in the Greens and Farmers' Union.

President Zatlers, 56, had been widely expected to win the vote, until he accused lawmakers last Saturday of being soft on corruption and called a referendum on the dissolution of parliament.
BarStone
coolclay wrote:

I think the pes is going to bee bad because his a farmer
deanhills
BarStone wrote:
I think the pes is going to bee bad because his a farmer
I thought he was a Banker first, and then joined the Farmers' Union? Refer the BBC article above?
weltkarte
I did not even know where Latvia is...... here I found a site with some maps:

http://www.worldofmaps.net/en/europe/map-latvia.htm