FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

United States Aid

Asap170
Personally I think that the U.S. is giving out to much aid. It seems that we are more worried for other people then our own country. We give out so much money to anyone in need. But yet you really don't hear about any other countries helping out. Yes, we are the economic powerhouse, but we are trillions in debt! Yet we still give them money. I'm not saying we shouldn't help our fellow humans, but turn down on how much we do because we don't get money back. We give it to them and then years go by and they don't give us anything in return.
deanhills
I'm not so sure that all of the aid is for charitable reasons. Most of it is carefully calculated in terms of global power and preferential opportunities for investment in reconstruction. The more giving to a country, the more power the US has to influence the decision making of that country in one way or another.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I'm not so sure that all of the aid is for charitable reasons. Most of it is carefully calculated in terms of global power and preferential opportunities for investment in reconstruction. The more giving to a country, the more power the US has to influence the decision making of that country in one way or another.

Exactly.
Aid is almost NEVER humanitarian in nature. If humanitarianism was the goal, the US would simply forgive the debts owed to them. Then the nations in need of aid wouldn't have the intense debt loads they already possess, alleviating some of the need for aid!
But, it's oh so useful to have debts owed to maintain power disparity.

EDIT - this isn't a method of the US alone, but the thread is based on US aid/politics. Many other nations, my own included, partake in this sort of power vying, using old national debts to maintain power over others... it's not limited to the US in any way.
Asap170
deanhills wrote:

Well ya, but it's basically money that we don't have. And I'm honestly still wondering how the United States is the economic powerhouse when China gave us money and we basically import everything from China now a days.
Dennise
I agree.

It's time to rethink the entire aid thing ... at least until we are out of the economic 'woods'.[

We must stop trying to be the world's police force.