FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questionnaires

emanuel2
Hey guys,
I have to make a questionnaire for my master's thesis. Does anyone of you have experience with them?
What software or format should I use? Word, pdf, web-based one?
Bikerman
There are plenty of shareware and open-source packages for surveys.
The important things are:
a) Question design - closed or open? Scale or yes/no.
b) Sample selection - how are you going to choose the interviewees and what group are they supposed to represent. The choice needs to be as random as possible and as large as possible.
c) 'Check' questions. You can include apparently unrelated questions as a check that the respondant is answering honestly.
deanhills
emanuel2 wrote:
Hey guys,
I have to make a questionnaire for my master's thesis. Does anyone of you have experience with them?
What software or format should I use? Word, pdf, web-based one?
Depends on whether you will be going out and interview the guys, or whether it will be enough for them to complete it online. I've seen questionnaires done in Excel and Word. Anyway, here seems to be a good Website for guidelines for developing questionnaires as well as some templates.
http://www.esurveyspro.com/Help.aspx
GoldenEagle
deanhills wrote:
Depends on whether you will be going out and interview the guys, or whether it will be enough for them to complete it online. I've seen questionnaires done in Excel and Word.

You had better do it in person and with a true random method. Doing it online is just asking for the question, "How does your survey methodology avoid a selection bias?"

If you do it online, you are already picking a population: "People who would feel comfortable taking an online survey" or even worse "People who would be comfortable taking an online survey and self-selected to participate".

Good luck! What's your Master's Thesis about?
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Depends on whether you will be going out and interview the guys, or whether it will be enough for them to complete it online. I've seen questionnaires done in Excel and Word.

You had better do it in person and with a true random method. Doing it online is just asking for the question, "How does your survey methodology avoid a selection bias?"

If you do it online, you are already picking a population: "People who would feel comfortable taking an online survey" or even worse "People who would be comfortable taking an online survey and self-selected to participate".

Good luck! What's your Master's Thesis about?
I'm not sure whether you addressed this to me, but it's really emanuel2 doing the Masters. You're right however, it would be interesting to learn what the topic of emanuel2's Masters is as that could possibly also help with advice regarding the questionnaires.