FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Using Twitter





Tony The Tiger
How can people follow hundreds and thousands of people and not miss the tweets that are important to them. Are these all people who hire social media assistants. I am barely following 50 people and if I miss a half a day, I am almost hopelessly behind. I now only follow people who limit their tweets to a few times a day. Is there anything I can do in order to follow more active tweeters without blowing up my timeline?
Nameless
If you met your friends in real life after working for half the day, would you need to know exactly what they were talking about while you weren't there? No, so don't bother trying to catch up with every single tweet either.

Alternatively, read faster.

/does not actually use Twitter.
cybersa
Use some good Twitter client.
It will help you to read from last tweet where you missed last day.

It is like E-mail reading when you missed two days.
Tony The Tiger
cybersa wrote:
You good Twitter client.
It will help you to read from last tweet where you missed last day.

It is like E-mail reading when you missed two days.

Does "You good Twitter client" mean that I should find a complementary software client to read twitter more efficiently? If so, suggestions are welcome.
chartcentral
Tony, you can use the Lists feature of Twitter. For example, I only follow a limited number of people, those that really matter and I would like to see on my timeline. I use lists for interesting accounts but not necessarily of utmost important to me. So I have a list for music artists, another for celebrities and some more other categories. When I would like to read about their tweets, I visit the list page. This way, my home page wouldn't have too much traffic on it. Smile
cybersa
Sorry.
It is a grammar mistake because i typed from mobile fastly.
I tried to tell "Use some good Twitter client.
It will help you to read from last tweet where you missed last day."
deanhills
I don't see the sense of Twitter. Sending SMS messages to me are much easier than having to get Twitter up for a less than 100 digits message.

I have yet to see a really good reason why Twitter should be a messenger of choice.
flamepjlh
Tony The Tiger wrote:
How can people follow hundreds and thousands of people and not miss the tweets that are important to them. Are these all people who hire social media assistants. I am barely following 50 people and if I miss a half a day, I am almost hopelessly behind. I now only follow people who limit their tweets to a few times a day. Is there anything I can do in order to follow more active tweeters without blowing up my timeline?


You should have some reason to follow a person.                       
                                                
Use these reason to devide them into lists.                       
                                                
Only leave a few that really important to you, by the way, I don't think there is something you can't miss on twitter, unless you live on that.

                            
Laughing Laughing
adri
Although my friends don't get me, I only follow people I find interesting or that post on things that I like, like Web Design. I do not follow my friends that I know in real-life, why would I? If they have something important to say, they can always send me an email or call me. But on Twitter I just follow 'interesting' people. Smile There are some "massive" spammers among them but generally I just scroll down and do a diagonal read until something catches my eye.



adri
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I don't see the sense of Twitter. Sending SMS messages to me are much easier than having to get Twitter up for a less than 100 digits message.

I have yet to see a really good reason why Twitter should be a messenger of choice.


As an IM or SMS service, Twitter is pretty ridiculous. The normal use is to post to a broad audience, rather than to an individual. It's putting something "out there" for the world (or a select audience) to read.

I enjoy following "celebrities" or personalities on Twitter... those with personality anyway. I've followed and unfollowed several whom I thought "Oh, they'll be interesting," only to find that they're not (or else focused on promotion rather than sharing something distinctly "them".

I use it to post ideas of general "interest" to my friends, witticisms and links to my uploaded photography.

It's not an amazing service, but it's another venue through which to keep in touch with people you like

adri wrote:
... I do not follow my friends that I know in real-life, why would I?


Some people are recluses, like me Razz
Due to family, I don't get out too often... Sometimes Twitter and Facebook messages are how I know what's going on with certain groups of my friends. It's slightly impersonal, I suppose, but, it does help to keep in touch.
GoldenEagle
deanhills wrote:
I don't see the sense of Twitter. Sending SMS messages to me are much easier than having to get Twitter up for a less than 100 digits message.

I have yet to see a really good reason why Twitter should be a messenger of choice.



I'm not sure why Twitter is popular either. It's literally a strictly worse version of facebook with the tiniest bit of features. Why do people do this again?
Ankhanu
I actually prefer the lack of features.
Facebook, for example, was better before applications arrived on the scene... now it's too cluttered with BS.
kacsababa
GoldenEagle wrote:
I'm not sure why Twitter is popular either. It's literally a strictly worse version of facebook with the tiniest bit of features. Why do people do this again?
Facebook is social networking, twitter is microblogging. Ofcourse there is some common ground (you can blog with facebook or talk with your friends on twitter), but basicly different purposes.

Although you could use your twitter account the way a usual social networking one, because there is an option to require permission for follow your tweets (only your friends can see them) and only using it for communication (only a choosen friend of yours can see that one tweet).

But the majority of users have an open twitter account so anyone can see all their tweets (except direct ofcourse) and they leave small "status messages", which makes it kind of a blog with extremely small posts. You can follow anyone and anyone can follow you. Its the mix of blogging and social networking.
Why is it popular? Because its simple and doesn't require much time at once.

In case of myself I don't follow any of my actual real life friends on twitter, only some net-friends (one or two), the others are people who doing something I'm interested in and they usually reporting about it on twitter (for example some translators), or someone whos work I admire (artists mostly), some website's twitter feed. Webdev sites mostly, but some others whom sometimes reporting more news on twitter then their actual website. And ofcourse I follow a few celebs too, not much. Smile

Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does "You good Twitter client" mean that I should find a complementary software client to read twitter more efficiently? If so, suggestions are welcome.
I'm using TweetDeck right now, before that I used Digsby's twitter feature. I don't really like this column layout in TweetDeck, maybe I get too used to tabs. Smile I still try to get used to it, but if anyone has any more suggestions for a desktop application as a client, preferably with a tabbed interface (custom lists, searches, directs, mentions, etc as tabs) then don't hold yourself back! Smile If nothing else I will go back to Digsby. Smile
GoldenEagle
Quote:
Facebook is social networking, twitter is microblogging. Ofcourse there is some common ground (you can blog with facebook or talk with your friends on twitter), but basicly different purposes.


Well all I know is that you can get Twitter to your phone and you can get Facebook status messages to your phone. I'm pretty sure Facebook status messages allow you to type a bit more into the message. Seems like they are at least even here.

But then Facebook has all of those other features you can participate in if you so choose. It seems to be that it's a miracle that Twitter every really took off. It literally has no features at all and the one feature it has Facebook had going on years earlier.

Of course the success of Twitter is probably based on Facebook going to crap now with stupid apps, so the simplicity of Twitter might be the overall difference.

So in essence : Early Facebook >>>>>>> Twitter > Modern Facebook
adri
@GoldenEagle: Facebook is different from Twitter and you (the "you"-person is a person that has both) think differently according to being on Facebook or Twitter. For example: If someone wants to be your friend on Facebook and you don't know him or her, you will probably decline his or her friend request whilst on Twitter, you don't care who follows you or watches your tweets.

It just has its own thing, the main point is that you can really follow people that you like and see what they post whether on Facebook you just like a page about a person and which is most of the time not even updated or made by the person himself. (For example: I like a politician on Facebook <-> Following the politician on Twitter)

There is also a lot of less crap on Twitter than on Facebook (groups, pages, likes, apps,...)



adri
Tony The Tiger
chartcentral wrote:
Tony, you can use the Lists feature of Twitter. For example, I only follow a limited number of people, those that really matter and I would like to see on my timeline. I use lists for interesting accounts but not necessarily of utmost important to me. So I have a list for music artists, another for celebrities and some more other categories. When I would like to read about their tweets, I visit the list page. This way, my home page wouldn't have too much traffic on it. Smile


That is the type of advice that I need. Thank you. Are the names of my lists publicly available?
Ankhanu
I think lists can be set to private if you like.
SultanMA
Using lists, u can follow 1000 and read their tweets regularly.
Tony The Tiger
Ankhanu wrote:
I think lists can be set to private if you like.

I think so. I just made regular (public) ones.
Related topics
Twitter Clients
An interesting idea
Facebook posting...
Which social networking website do you use?
Content that generates high paying clicks
what do you think about Google Gmail Buzz???
Help on Tweet - Twitter
Twitter plugins
From Where your are tweeting?
Anyone not on facebook?
Whats the point of microblogging?
How may things can you do with Twitter
Twitter lingo
More Twitter lingo
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.