FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cure for HIV?

deanhills
Looks as though medical science has discovered a "cure" for HIV. Doctors did a very high-risk bone marrow transplant taking cells from a donor with a very rare genetic mutation that had been proven to be resistant to HIV. Not only has the patient been cured, but he won't be able to contract HIV again.

Quote:
Timothy Ray Brown was living in Berlin when besides being HIV-positive, he had a relapse of leukemia. He was dying. In 2007, his doctor, Gero Huetter, made a radical suggestion: a bone marrow transplant using cells from a donor with a rare genetic mutation, known as CCR5 delta 32. Scientists had known for a few years that people with this gene mutation had proved resistant to HIV.

"We really didn't know when we started this project what would happen," Huetter, an oncologist and haematologist who now works at the University of Heidelberg in southern Germany, told Reuters. The treatment could well have finished Brown off. Instead he remains the only human ever to be cured of AIDS. "He has no replicating virus and he isn't taking any medication. And he will now probably never have any problems with HIV," says Huetter. Brown has since moved to San Francisco.
Source: Reuters

lyeandro2587
Do you have some information as to how he got this mutation? I think that's good news. Smile
badai
lyeandro2587 wrote:
Do you have some information as to how he got this mutation? I think that's good news. Smile

he didn't "get" that mutation. (you can't really say you get something if you become something, like you can get HIV, but you don't turn into HIV, or Peter Parker don't get Spiderman, he turned into Spiderman).

that mutation is on the donor. it happen by natural selection: when his father's dna mix up with his mother's dna during conception, the dna randomly (i'm not sure if it's really random, but that's what my biology teacher told me) mix up and the resulting cell will have traits depend on how mixed up the dna are with million of possiblities, and one of the trait happened to be CCR5-Δ32.

some people just got lucky, while others, not so lucky.

ok, i might be wrong on the course of mutation. it might not be natural selection at all.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deletion_mutation

Causes include the following:
Losses from translocation
Chromosomal crossovers within a chromosomal inversion
Unequal crossing over
Breaking without rejoining

and how could these happen, you can read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation
airh3ad
Food is best natural treatment. With a carefully designed diet for HIV AIDS, there is no need for vitamin and mineral supplements. Some supplements can seriously aggravate HIV AIDS when taken randomly. Vitamin C & iron can have severe adverse effects on HIV AIDS, especially patients with advanced cases of HIV AIDS
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
Vitamin C & iron can have severe adverse effects on HIV AIDS, especially patients with advanced cases of HIV AIDS
I'd love to hear more about Vitamin C as I used to swear by it at one stage of my life. What adverse effects does it have on HIV AIDS? Very Happy