FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Composers out there

bem0126
Are there any composers in this forum who are well acquainted with music theory and plays a certain instrument on a certain level? Could you somehow post links to your works? I really love to study how some composers build the structures of their works.
menino
I wished I could help, but I play by ear, and don't know the complete theory of music.
I have just the basic knowledge of some of the common chords, and am still learning.
I have some of my own compositions using these basic chords, but its very small, and not all that great.
But I do hope to find inspiration and see the works of other composers as well.
iiinvest
I made a song with a friend back in college, I went to Berklee College of Music. He is now a singer in Italy and used one of our songs on his CD. I wrote most of the music for this song, though did not perform any of it in this final release. You can hear the music come in and out throughout this video at the beginning. The name of the song is Remedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WviBarHN5f0

The piece was originally composed for a guitar, vocal and string section. We just got together one night and I started to jam out on this G6 chord with a 6/8 feel and he started to sing. I know music theory so I was playing through a few changes and quickly came up with the verse. The chorus part (:50) is just a descending V7 progression that went really well with the lyrics of falling and I end with a nice ii-V progression but add some tension with some diminished chords. You don't hear it but the string part, later in the song, uses lots of dynamics and gives the idea of a person floating in music.

Generally, I like to tie my music as much as possible with the theme and lyrics of the song. Some songs are created differently, just my style. I should state that while writing this song I was also using my ear to hear what I was hearing in my head. The theory definitely helped me get my ideas out very quick.

My friend wrote the lyrics almost on the spot.
standready
I am a composer, songwriter and pianist/keyboard player. I don't have anything out on the web.
TheGremlyn
I know in high school when I was really into music (which I was through my entire high school career), I wanted to make my own music, I just didn't have the greatest understanding out how to do that. I also lacked obvious creativity so I wasn't very good at coming up with a creative line of music and throwing in the background and supporting lines. I wanted to and I had a couple attempts... But you could tell that as the notes went along that it wasn't really going anywhere, there wasn't a story, no emotion...

I might try again some other time but I don't know how to structure it properly...
beatbox0792
I wished I could help, but I play by ear, and don't know the complete theory of music.
I have just the basic knowledge of some of the common chords, and am still learning.
I have some of my own compositions using these basic chords, but its very small, and not all that great.
But I do hope to find inspiration and see the works of other composers as well.