FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless Router with WAKE-UP feature

biga57
Hi There !!

Anyone can suggest me a wireless BBand router that can be controlled remotely by a computer connected on internet in order to wake up a second computer where the router is plugged in ???
Banzai
As far as I am aware most routers can be accessed via a web-interface, usually by LAN but can be set to external access also. You just need to know the IP/Port of the router and the username/password.

As for waking up computers on the LAN behind the router, this should also be possible (although I have never had a chance to try it). All you need is a computer that supports Wake-On-LAN and enable it (usually via BIOS). Then set your router to forward the appropriate port.

Have a look at http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx for an example on Wake-On-LAN. You will have had to set up both the computer and router for the appropriate ports… ect….

Good Luck, and let me know how you get on.
biga57
Thank you Banzai.

I checked the website.

Actually , what I woud like to achieve is to access my B.Band router from a remote location and SWITCH on my computer to gain access to my data.

Now what seems to be the problem to me , is not the dynamic address of my connection, I can find it, once I assigned a name to my router , searched through a website etc. I'm rather concerned on the actual "switching on " of the computer by means of the router ?!?!

Not clear to me how this can be done.

I'm not an expert also, so I am wandering if this is possible or not..
Banzai
Yes it is possible.

Can you please tell me the make/model of your "Router", "Motherboad" and "Network Card".

Then I will try and make a Guide.
biga57
My wireless router is LIKSYS.

My Motherboard is the one inside ACER TRAVELMATE 520 Notebook.

I do not remember my wireless card. I am out of town till Oct 22 , so I need to get back and check, than I'll reply to you.

Thanks.
Banzai
LINKSYS, make alot of routers. Exact model number would help.

I've had a look at the spec's on the "ACER TRAVELMATE 520" and it says it supports "Wake-On-LAN" (this is the feature you will be needing).
But since you are using a Wireless card, and not the Laptops internal card - the wireless card will also need to support "Wake-On-LAN".

Ill wait for you to post the Card's info.
biga57
Thanks a lot...

Will post ASAP as soon as I'll be back in HK.
Laughing
biga57
Banzai wrote:
LINKSYS, make alot of routers. Exact model number would help.

I've had a look at the spec's on the "ACER TRAVELMATE 520" and it says it supports "Wake-On-LAN" (this is the feature you will be needing).
But since you are using a Wireless card, and not the Laptops internal card - the wireless card will also need to support "Wake-On-LAN".

Ill wait for you to post the Card's info.

Hi Banzai,
Back in HK from Sin.

OK I checked my LINKSYS. Model : WUSB54G. 2.4 GHz, 802.11g

I actually gave you the wrong info. I use the internal ACER card connected by cable to my LINKSYS wireless router. The router is connected by cable to a NEC modem provided by the broadband company I subscribed to.
My Acer is connected directly to the broadband cable, it is therefore NOT on a wireless connection. Broadband speed is 100 Mbps.
I checked the network card card : Intel 8255x - PCI ethernet Adapter (10/100).

Please let me know if you need additional info

Thanks !
biga57
Hallo Banzai,
I got some additional pieces of information I wish to share with you for comments.

The wake-on -lan feature required on Wireless Router, I was told, is necessary to deliver the so called "magic packet" to the computer connected that you want to switch on (wake up).

It seems that if the wireless router does not support the acceptance and re-distribution of the macic packet (and actually treats it as an unwanted message or worse an attack) than the wake-up feature doesn't work.

My understanding of the process is this:
I have a router, connected to the internet , always ON. My computer , wire connected (broadband) to the router is OFF.
I want to wake up my computer from a remote connection. I check the dinamic address for my router through a website. I than should try to connect to my router and allow my remote computer to send the "magic packet" so as to wake up the other computer at home.
My router receives the magic packet and sends it to the computer switching it on.....

It seems quite a linear process but I do not know if my Linksys router can work this way.

Any comments?

Cheers