FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FRIH Coins as a Model for Undervalued Currencies

GoldenEagle
Hi everyone,

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, there's a whole economic system supported on this site: the coins. The coins have 4 purposes, all of which are all but unwanted by anyone on this site. Hiding ads is essentially needless as the ads do not inhibit anything and I'd like to support the forum by allowing them to capitalize on my traffic. I think most people on here agree, so that leaves one thing really: The domain.

How many people are really working toward a free .com domain? I am, but I may be the only one doing so right now. I don't really want to have to build up my coin count by posting, since that would take a long time, but no one wants to transfer coins because no one is really driven to accumulate them. Getting coins is pretty darn hard and no one is going to work hard for something they don't want. The lack of anything really to spend coins on makes it so no one works hard enough to get them and then no one has them to transfer to those who want it in exchange for some service. Thus we are all poor.

So I'll enjoy my .com domain: After 25 days of 20+ posts a day. Very Happy Another option is for the people with infinite coins with nothing to spend them on to help those of us who'd like them.
adri
GoldenEagle wrote:
Hi everyone,

As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, there's a whole economic system supported on this site: the coins. The coins have 4 purposes

You say coins have four purposes but you only give two?

GoldenEagle wrote:

How many people are really working toward a free .com domain?

Well, I was in the beginning but I found better offers with other registars for my domain name. I wanted a co.uk domain name and Godaddy is twice as expensive as the registar I found. Smile (around 7 pounds for 2 years against 1 year @ Godaddy for more than 7 pounds)

So now I'm just keeping my coins higher than 350 so if needed I can always get a domain for free. I already exchanged some of my superfluous coins for some Frih$ though. Smile I don't really know why I do it, but I like to have many frih$ just because it looks good. Cool

adri
GoldenEagle
[quote="adri"]
GoldenEagle wrote:

You say coins have four purposes but you only give two?

Thanks, the 3 outside of the domain name are removal of the ads, which I think is silly. The ads are from from intrusive, so why would anyone want to hide them?
deanhills
I think you have missed out at least one purpose. And that is that the coins are a reward to Frihosters for posting over the 45 point mark. It is an acknowledgment of our effort and a reward from the owner of the Website for extra posts over the quota that is needed to keep our Websites alive. I value my coins from that point of view.
Bondings
Yes, the basic use for them is currently the free domains.

I'm currently working on the Frihost Games (as most here probably know, they have quite a bit of a delay). I plan to release most of them with the option to buy some items/extra levels/features with Coins (and also a Coins prize for the highscores or similar).

I'm also working on an affiliate/referer system where you get coins if you refer someone to Frihost. (More coins at higher levels of posts or similar.) Of course that is another way to earn coins, not to spend them. Wink
standready
deanhills wrote:
I think you have missed out at least one purpose. And that is that the coins are a reward to Frihosters for posting over the 45 point mark. It is an acknowledgment of our effort and a reward from the owner of the Website for extra posts over the quota that is needed to keep our Websites alive. I value my coins from that point of view.

Very well said, dean!

@GoldenEagle: There are so many other reasons for being with Frihost - It is a great community with lots of interesting people.
Navigator
Bondings wrote:
Yes, the basic use for them is currently the free domains.

I'm currently working on the Frihost Games (as most here probably know, they have quite a bit of a delay). I plan to release most of them with the option to buy some items/extra levels/features with Coins (and also a Coins prize for the highscores or similar).

I'm also working on an affiliate/referer system where you get coins if you refer someone to Frihost. (More coins at higher levels of posts or similar.) Of course that is another way to earn coins, not to spend them. Wink

Nice, can you give us an overview of what will games be about? Does it has anything to do with the other chess thread?
GoldenEagle
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Very well said, dean!

@GoldenEagle: There are so many other reasons for being with Frihost - It is a great community with lots of interesting people.

I know this! I'm just saying that getting to 350 coins is not easy and it's an uphill battle when you're the only one really pursuing it and posting is the only viable method. I'd bet there are less than 5 people on here trying to build up to 350 coins for a domain right now.