FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forums Slowed Down?

GoldenEagle
Looking at the number of people registered for this site, it looks like only a fraction of the people who are registered are using the site. Is this site past its prime or something? I'd imagine that a site that offers a service based on posting would be thriving with new and innovative posts, even bordering on spam, just to get the free services.

Am I missing something?

Is it that 1 point per day as payment means that people don't have to post often so people don't come in here?
deanhills
I don't disagree with what you are saying, except I think the answer lies with what Websites you are comparing Frihost with. So would be curious what your experiences have been as to Forums that are more active. Exactly what Websites are you comparing Frihost with? Could it be that they are serving different objectives? Very Happy
ocalhoun
Not that it's past its prime, just that it has been around for a while, and many users don't stay for very long.

A LOT of users register and never post, and more still register, post a few times, then never come back... After a while (6 years) that adds up.

It would be interesting, though, to be able to run a database query to find out how many users have made a post in, say, the last two months. That would give a much better idea of the active membership.
GoldenEagle
Why wouldn't people be posting? Don't they need to keep posting in order to keep their site up and running?

I'd imagine the free sites would keep people posting all day long....

At this rate, 350 coins will be impossible to get. Also, not having people on the site makes the value of the coins go down. They are literally worthless on here except for the free domain for yourself because there aren't enough people on here to drive interest.

The other way of getting coins is by advertising in your signature, but there aren't enough people to advertise a site to so no one really cares to buy advertising.
deanhills
At the rate you are posting GoldenEagle I'm almost certain you are going to get the right number of coins in no time. Very Happy

With regard to people posting. I'm almost certain there are a very large number of people who register, and then don't post at all. Then after that there are a large number of people who tried one or two posts and did not get further than that. Then there may be people who managed to get to 10 posts, obtained their Website, but then maybe just forgot that they had the space, or posting may not have been their thing, and then let go of Frihost.

There could be people who wanted Website space just to practice on, and then once they got paid Website hosting, decided to leave.

Then there are others who like the place because of a sense of community they find here. I'm presently here more because of the posting than the Website space.

Ocalhoun is right, would be interesting to do a statistical evaluation of this.
saratdear
Bondings was planning a few things to attract new users when we touch the million posts mark - I can't find that thread now though.
adri
deanhills wrote:

Then there are others who like the place because of a sense of community they find here.

Ghehe, me too. If you look at my "website", you'll notice that it has been down since july 2009. which is already two years of non-use of my webhost. Yet I never cancelled it. :p

saratdear wrote:
Bondings was planning a few things to attract new users when we touch the million posts mark - I can't find that thread now though.

I think that Bondings should update his quota. 250MB was fine in 2005 but now in 2011 the web has grown exponentially and websites have become bigger (and most of the time better). 500Mb should make Frihost a lot more attractive for new users. (1Gb would be awesome too)

Yet most users will never reach 1Gb or 500Mb it are just the numbers that make a visitor go "Wow". Although I have enough with 250Mb (cleaning up my webhost regularly helps a lot Wink ) I could see how this attracts new and hopefully interesting and active members. Smile

adri
saratdear
adri wrote:
I think that Bondings should update his quota. 250MB was fine in 2005 but now in 2011 the web has grown exponentially and websites have become bigger (and most of the time better). 500Mb should make Frihost a lot more attractive for new users. (1Gb would be awesome too)

We do get 500 MB now! At least, all of the users of Servers 2 and 3 do. Bondings upped the disk quota to compensate for some downtime problems. Smile
adri
saratdear wrote:
adri wrote:

We do get 500 MB now! At least, all of the users of Servers 2 and 3 do. Bondings upped the disk quota to compensate for some downtime problems. Smile

Well, I'm on Server 1, and as long as not all servers have a disk quota of 500Mb, you can't advertise this. :/

adri
sonam
I think today is possible to find paid hosting more cheap then before few years. In that case interest for free hosting's slowly go down and only if you have some other satisfaction you will use it.

For example I am here because I never get afraid of my site cancellation without any reason. I have this experience on some other free hosting. The second reason is really great service for 10-15 quality post per month. And third reason are good community in any way. But new members need time to come in community and find out all qualities of it and free hosting.

Quote:
The other way of getting coins is by advertising in your signature, but there aren't enough people to advertise a site to so no one really cares to buy advertising.

The new members haven't coins, the old members don't need it. BTW this links are no follow and in that case it is not valuable.

Sonam
GoldenEagle
sonam wrote:

The new members haven't coins, the old members don't need it.
Sonam

To some extent this is fine, but on here it's ridiculous. I'm willing to bet if we had a tool that would lay out the number of coins each member on the forum had, we'd find a very weak showing They're hard to get and no one wants them except for a domain, which is beginning to look insurmountable.
sonam
GoldenEagle wrote:
sonam wrote:

The new members haven't coins, the old members don't need it.
Sonam

To some extent this is fine, but on here it's ridiculous. I'm willing to bet if we had a tool that would lay out the number of coins each member on the forum had, we'd find a very weak showing They're hard to get and no one wants them except for a domain, which is beginning to look insurmountable.

You can always offer some service in Marketplace forum and get some coins in reward. From time to time there is some contest where you can get lot of coins.

Sonam
Bondings
About the number of users, that's an issue that is present in most forums. A large majority of the users that register never post a single post here. I think most of those are spammers/bots and the rest are people not wanting to post.

To put it this way, from the 10 users that register, only 1 actually makes posts. And most of the time that is one or two posts, usually spam (or on topic but edited after a while with a link to somewhere) but also some real posts too (not everyone is here for hosting). Maybe one out of 25-50 users actually makes a decent number of posts (like more than 10) and most of those don't stick around after the first few days.

By the way, if you look at the memberlist you should look at the last pages. The first pages had the inactive users removed (nowadays activating an account isn't even necessary anymore).
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
and no one wants them except for a domain, which is beginning to look insurmountable.
I love my coins. If no one wants theirs, they're most welcome to donate their coins to me. Very Happy
kirii
there are lots of reasons why people dont post..
they might have bought their hosting..
but i think 50% of the memberlist are spambots Embarassed
spinout
as in every forum; there must be a bit of flaming, or intensity to really be/form a forum.

something to talk about...
Ghost900
Ya I have a forum with spambots wanting to join at least three or so times a day. If they don't get accepted I am not sure if they end up in the member list or not.

As for the actual forum activity, it does seem to be slower than when I first started, at least in the areas where I post the most.

Paid Hosting has continually gotten cheaper so for some people they have moved to paid hosting I am sure as it can be as little as 2.99 a month now compared to early 2000's when it would cost almost 20.00 a month.

I keep posting to get my hosting but I am not even trying to get the free domain as I am too busy to get coins and I have no problem buying the domain from another company. I see plenty of people collecting coins though so they are collecting it for some reason or they just love to post as I know some forum users do.
GoldenEagle
I was considering buying a domain, but some REALLY nice people have been helping me out with getting coins, so I'm really not that far off anymore. Less than 50 coins to go! Very Happy