FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EHEC Bacteria

adri
You probably, by now, have all heard about the EHEC bacteria that is causing major economic damage in Europe as "we" still don't know where it comes from. They first thought that it came from spanish cucumbers but that is not true and now they are searching in North-Germany for the cause as there are many people who are sick. Also they are more women that are sick than men.

So just giving you some background info, but where do you think the EHEC bacteria comes from? Will it be from something that we eat or drink?

adri
deanhills
The news particularly resonated with me because of that article I had written for the "Does it work?" competition on anti-biotics. I'd already known anti-biotics could not be good if used indiscriminately on a long-term basis, but never knew that the CDC had declared the use of anti-biotics a global public health hazard. What happened in Europe for me proved the CDC right. The more anti-biotics are used, the more likely that they can result in contagious "super bugs".

Quote:
Anti-biotic use promotes development of anti-biotic-resistant bacteria. Every time a person takes anti-biotics, sensitive bacteria are killed, but resistant germs may be left to grow and multiply. These resistant germs are contagious, in other words they can be carried from one person to another. The CDC is concerned that the overuse of anti-biotics could lead to new diseases for which there are no medicines available yet. Anti-biotics should therefore be very selectively used, only in severe situations, for the right bacteria, and for the shortest time available.