FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone Collect Magic Cards?

GoldenEagle
Does anyone on here collect Magic: The Gathering cards? I have been collecting these cards for quite a while and have a pretty awesome collection worth a pretty penny. My most prized card is my perfectly mint Ancestral Recall, which is valued at a minimum of $500. Scans of the card.

Does anyone else collect these cards? If so, what are your most prized cards you own?
lyeandro2587
Can i ask you what you guys get from having these cards? I mean i have my friend who is so fanatic when it comes to these kind of games.

Why are these cards pricey? Can you actually sell them or perhaps make money about them?

Smile I am not in any way trying to be rude. Smile I am just bedazzled how you guys can have so much passion in these type of games. Very Happy
Ankhanu
1) It's a game. The game is fun. That's the main thing to get from them.
2) Yeah, you can make money, but it involves a lot of luck and/or patience.
3) Some are pricey due to rarity and the in-game effects.
All in all, as far as card collecting goes, it makes more sense than sports cards or what have you that don't involve an intrinsic worth as components of a game or anything else.

I used to play around 1995-1997, then stopped. I recently started playing again with some friends, but I'm not serious about it. I have no idea what my cards are worth Razz
GoldenEagle
lyeandro2587 wrote:
Can i ask you what you guys get from having these cards? I mean i have my friend who is so fanatic when it comes to these kind of games.

Why are these cards pricey? Can you actually sell them or perhaps make money about them?

Smile I am not in any way trying to be rude. Smile I am just bedazzled how you guys can have so much passion in these type of games. Very Happy

This particular card is worth so much since it's one of the top 3 most powerful cards in the game and was only printed in 1993. Because of its powerful effects, it's limited to only one in a deck. My particular card is in almost perfect condition, so I can send it off to a grading company to get a rating of its perfection.

Old, good cards in perfect condition are really rare since people want to play with good cards, especially back in 1993 before the days of card protectors and when this card was still available in booster packs.
Tesa323
No I really don't like collecting cards but my cousin is a freaking fan of magic cards. He sold of couple of his cards and got around $400 dollars he said his collection was worth arond $3000 but I really dot get what makes them worth so much.
GoldenEagle
A lot of the cards are very rare in good condition. I just expanded my site to have a Magic the Gathering trade site.

My collection is probably $4-$5k and I'm looking to sell it. Smile
coolclay
That's the problem with collectible anything just because it's "worth" a certain amount doesn't mean you'll get that much if you sell it!
gandalfthegrey
I use to collect them. I still have mine.
GoldenEagle
coolclay wrote:
That's the problem with collectible anything just because it's "worth" a certain amount doesn't mean you'll get that much if you sell it!

My site is about exactly that: Buying and selling collectibles. Let's just say I didn't need a job in high school Razz
deanhills
GoldenEagle, how does one assess the power of the cards. For example, why can't I just print cards tomorrow and say they are powerful, or is there an established Hand book of a kind? Do these cards get to be tested? Very Happy
codersfriend
I play magic cards too. But I'm just busy at work right now .. My build is a basic soldier deck with healing.. I don't have much good cards since they are expensive.
But the deftblade elite is cool. I hope there is a reprint for that Smile
codersfriend
I play magic cards too. But I'm just busy at work right now .. My build is a basic soldier deck with healing.. I don't have much good cards since they are expensive.
codersfriend
tingkagol
I played Magic around 1997-1998. It's a really good game, provided you have the penny to support the habit. For me, it meant a sandwich for lunch and fried bananas on a stick for an afternoon snack. Besides my tummy, the rest of me was pretty happy. The most fun I had with a deck was with a Sengir Vampire / Breeding Pit combo pure-black deck, at least if things were working my way. I also liked Empyrial Armor especially when you had Library of Leng and another artifact card that lets you draw X cards (forgot its name).

I was also quite enamored with the artwork. I could remember Richard Kane Ferguson, Quinton Hoover among others as my favorite artists.

The most expensive card (sort of) I ever owned was Sacred Mesa (Mirage edition). I honestly do not know what happened to it. I wasn't much of a collector.

EDIT: Checked the internet and found Sacred Mesa isn't worth that much. $0.99. lol
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
GoldenEagle, how does one assess the power of the cards. For example, why can't I just print cards tomorrow and say they are powerful, or is there an established Hand book of a kind? Do these cards get to be tested? Very Happy

They're printed by Wizards of the Coast, and you buy them. There are official sets and serious players know pretty much every card.
You could print your own, but your friends might catch on Razz