FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

google was trying to take facebook down when it was starting

baboosaa
It is said that schmidt tried to make deal with facebook founder Mark so that he can make it's way clear to get Google on top of the tech industry! Is that good?
Well he confessed that he did tried to make deal with facebook that's good. But why the world's most powerful company had it's way blocked while doing so? That's can give answer to this question is facebook more powerful than google?

This can be one reason: When people find what they want has already occured to some of his friend they donot need a search engine.
Navigator
baboosaa wrote:
It is said that schmidt tried to make deal with facebook founder Mark so that he can make it's way clear to get Google on top of the tech industry! Is that good?
Well he confessed that he did tried to make deal with facebook that's good. But why the world's most powerful company had it's way blocked while doing so? That's can give answer to this question is facebook more powerful than google?

This can be one reason: When people find what they want has already occured to some of his friend they donot need a search engine.

So if I need a programming tip should I use Facebook? I think the search engine and the social network aren't in direct competition. And as to why Google wanted Facebook to move out of the way, well maybe its because they saw the potential threat to their own dominance over the web.

You know what I think, just as Microsoft didn't enter the search engine market on time letting Google take the spot, I think Google didn't enter social networking on time either and as Microsoft, Google's approach hasn't been so successful so far.
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
So if I need a programming tip should I use Facebook? I think the search engine and the social network aren't in direct competition. And as to why Google wanted Facebook to move out of the way, well maybe its because they saw the potential threat to their own dominance over the web.
I'm not that much into Facebook, but with my most recent experience it would appear that they have a search engine attached to Facebook. If one typed something in the Facebook search box, then it would be similar to any other search engine. So from that point of view it has to be in competition as it a both a social network as well as a search engine?
ankur209
Ohh really..!! Was it so ?? Razz
I'm happy Mark din't lose the hope and carried on !! I love Facebook more than anything else (considering the Social networks)
GoldenEagle
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:
.... well maybe its because they saw the potential threat to their own dominance over the web.
I'm not that much into Facebook, but with my most recent experience it would appear that they have a search engine attached to Facebook. If one typed something in the Facebook search box, then it would be similar to any other search engine. So from that point of view it has to be in competition as it a both a social network as well as a search engine?

I don't really think this is relevant. Majority of the crappy results from facebook are silly member created fan pages, whereas real search engines give real results to actual sites. While facebook is fine and good, it's definitely not a legitimate competition for google's search.
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
I don't really think this is relevant. Majority of the crappy results from facebook are silly member created fan pages, whereas real search engines give real results to actual sites. While facebook is fine and good, it's definitely not a legitimate competition for google's search.
When you get to more specialized searches I'd agree with you. But the standard searches on Facebook look the same to me. Having said that, I rarely use Facebook. I prefer either Yahoo or Google, and probably don't use them to the optimum. I probably need to get more with it, as I sometimes get real crappy results because there are so many more crappy Websites than there have been before that seem to be listed higher up in the rankings, when they should not have been.
robertoilidio
By the way, Google starts google+ project, so, I guess that in about 6 months, Facebook will fail against Google +...
deanhills
robertoilidio wrote:
By the way, Google starts google+ project, so, I guess that in about 6 months, Facebook will fail against Google +...
Initially it may. As this whole invite thing showed people are really into anything that Google will present to them. Google did something similar when it started with Google e-mail as well when initially everyone had to find a friend who already had an e-mail address with Google before they could register an account.
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
Navigator wrote:

Facebook isn't a search engine. They do index every user profile/fan page attached to the Facebook domain, but that's like saying Frihost is a search engine because they have a search box at the top and they index every thread on the forums. Facebook is no more a search engine than Frihost.

Of course, to index these sites they use an algorithm probably akin to that of a search engine (though way way way more simple). They would never be classified as a search engine though, because the only thing you'll ever find by using the Facebook search box is more Facebook pages. You'll never search for something on Facebook and receive results that take you off the Facebook website. Same with Frihost.
loremar
I've never used Facebook. Is Facebook using Google Adsense? If not then that's maybe why. But they would really get a bad reputation if Google delists Facebook. By the way, how is Google making money?
Are they telling where they get their income sources from? Maybe they are heavily in competition with Facebook.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Facebook isn't a search engine. They do index every user profile/fan page attached to the Facebook domain, but that's like saying Frihost is a search engine because they have a search box at the top and they index every thread on the forums. Facebook is no more a search engine than Frihost.

Of course, to index these sites they use an algorithm probably akin to that of a search engine (though way way way more simple). They would never be classified as a search engine though, because the only thing you'll ever find by using the Facebook search box is more Facebook pages. You'll never search for something on Facebook and receive results that take you off the Facebook website. Same with Frihost.
Thanks for the correction. I'm obviously a non-geek at this and not into Facebook at all. I just remember searching for someone in Facebook and next all the global Websites came up. It felt like a search engine. But you are right, it did not take me away.

By the way, I haven't yet had an experience at Frihost where a global search had come up. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to do a global search through Frihost. Is that to do with the algorithm thing you were referring to?
Josso
I did once hear they were "concerned" about Wikipedia for example.
mazito
usinexpress wrote:
someone says...google+ is better than facebook

it deppends on situations, i have FB and G+, and i like more G+ and is only starting, in FB you are exposed and in G+ not in the same way, i think G+ is more to not so youngs and mature people style and FB is for the youngsters
bukaida
I have G+ and I saw nothing new except integrating everything in one place. It is just the old orkut in new avtar. Worst, I cannot import my photo albums from orkut to G+.
coolclay
I think the similarity between Facebook and Google has nothing to do with a search engine but what can be done behind the scenes. For example they both have vast databases of personal information, this one reason is why millions of $ have been invested into FB by large corporations (MS, Goldman Sachs, etc). One day the hope is that FB will use the data compiled to not just advertise but to do something more with all of that information. I think that is probably why Google is scared.
lrj945
robertoilidio wrote:

I guess that you have underestimate the power of facebook.
menino
Navigator wrote:

You know what I think, just as Microsoft didn't enter the search engine market on time letting Google take the spot, I think Google didn't enter social networking on time either and as Microsoft, Google's approach hasn't been so successful so far.

Actually at the time facebook came up, google had already bought and linked Orkut, if anyone remembers it, and it was quite popular in the day, untill facebook came out.
It had some of the same things that facebook had at the time, but facebook grew more in popularity, I guess because it was easier to use and had some extra features as well, and you didnt need to have a gmail account to use it.