FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

5:1 Speaker

cybersa
I'm going to buy Zebronics 5:1 speaker.
I do not have sound card in my computer.
is need to buy a 5:1 speaker with sound card?
Thanks in advance.
Josso
Yes, I have similar systems... I believe you need 3 jacks in the back of your sound card, some older sound cards do not support 5.1 or if you bought a computer with stereo speakers originally it is unlikely to support 5:1

Check with

Start menu > run > dxdiag > sound tab

Then post make of card if you are not sure if it is supported or google it.
FunDa
cybersa wrote:
Thanks in advance.

There are two types of 5.1 surround speakers wrt their input.

One type has a single stereo input and gives a pseudo(fake) surround when it actuall is only 2.1 made to look like 5.1

The other, better more awesome type has 2 stereo inputs.
Make sure your computer has 3 stereo jacks

They will be
1) Stereo out
2) Line in
3) Microphone

These can be converted into Front stereo out and Rear stereo out

Then get a 5.1 speaker system which has 2 inputs.

There is also the possibility to convert the microphoe jack also to a stereo out for the mid(lateral) stereo out too. But that is for7.2 surround and is not cost-effective for most people.

I used to keep my 2 old 2.0 stereo speakers connected one of the
front stereo out
and other on rear stereo out to get proper surround(but no bass)
k_s_baskar
Depends on motherboard you have at present.
cybersa
I am having this board
Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW.
It has Realtek High Definition Audio Support.
Then i have 3 stereo jacks at back.
Now i able to use 5:1 Speaker?
nepalstar
cybersa wrote:
Thanks in advance.

If you want to use 5:1 speaker in a computer the normal sound card will not work, even you have 5.1 speaker that works just like stereo. so you need new sound card which supports 5.1 speakers which is different than ordinary built sound card which comes with almost all mother board.
ProfessorY91
nepalstar wrote:

If you want to use 5:1 speaker in a computer the normal sound card will not work, even you have 5.1 speaker that works just like stereo.

False. A 5.1 stereo speaker system that mimics a 2.1 system will only need one audio input. A true 5.1 system will need up to 4 audio input jacks, depending on whether the subwoofer / support speakers are connected to the logic board of the speakers, versus connected to the sound card in the computer. Both systems are available.
cybersa
Thanks for the information.
So i need to buy good Sound Card. Smile
Added to my list Wink
anthonythangaraj
cybersa wrote:
I am having this board
Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW.
It has Realtek High Definition Audio Support.
Then i have 3 stereo jacks at back.
Now i able to use 5:1 Speaker?

Yes. Your board supports full 5.1 output. You only need to correctly configure it. Me too using same motherboard for my system
fileb0x
cybersa wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Dependent on your speaker system. For true 5.1 sound you will need a soundcard that supports 5.1 hook up.

I had a similar issue with a THX 5.1 Surround system. Ideally, if your power hub has a 3 colored connection cable, one particular cable being green in color. You could plug that green connector cable directly into a standard headphone jack and 'EMULATE' 5.1 sound without need for a special sound card. Depending again, on your unit controls, you can run 2.1 or emulate the 5.1

For a cost effective measure, look up USB sound cards that work off pure plug and play functionality and in the meanwhile provide all the outlets you would need for direct fully functional and proper surround sound set up.

Configure your control pod settings to emulate the 5.1 through a standard jack in the mean time. And run that cable directly into the standard computer port. Then run a test from Sound/Properties to ensure your setup is done correctly.
Asap170
k_s_baskar wrote:
Depends on motherboard you have at present.

Not true. The motherboard has a slight thing to do with it but as long as it has the correct pins then it will work.

Like was stated in the post above me, yea USB would work but there may be a delay if the USB ports are not 2.0. Also what's the difference in getting a card or USB? They both are plug and play devices in short. If you went to every little detail they are different, but truly they are not.
FunDa
fileb0x wrote:
cybersa wrote:
Thanks in advance.

Dependent on your speaker system. For true 5.1 sound you will need a soundcard that supports 5.1 hook up.

I had a similar issue with a THX 5.1 Surround system. Ideally, if your power hub has a 3 colored connection cable, one particular cable being green in color. You could plug that green connector cable directly into a standard headphone jack and 'EMULATE' 5.1 sound without need for a special sound card. Depending again, on your unit controls, you can run 2.1 or emulate the 5.1

For a cost effective measure, look up USB sound cards that work off pure plug and play functionality and in the meanwhile provide all the outlets you would need for direct fully functional and proper surround sound set up.

Configure your control pod settings to emulate the 5.1 through a standard jack in the mean time. And run that cable directly into the standard computer port. Then run a test from Sound/Properties to ensure your setup is done correctly.

All new computers I have seen for atleast the past 5 years have5.1 surround capability in the motherboard's inbulit sound ports.

Make sure that the correct audio driver is installed. Once the audio driver is installed then 5.1 surround is just a matter of changing some setting on the speaker configuration part of the auido driver sofware