FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the great fear of almost every person

baboosaa
the great fear of almost every person now or previously involved in Wikileaks is that they're going to end up in the custody of the American justice system, because of the black hole of due-process-free punishment that they've seen created and that is sustained for foreign nationals accused of crimes against U.S. national security, because of the way in which people are disappeared without recourse to courts or any political protest.

It's amazing that we have spent decades, probably since the end of WWII, lavishing praise on ourselves as the model of justice for the entire world, the leaders of the free world, lecturing everybody else about what their system of justice ought to be, and yet the fear that so many people around the world have, is that they will end up in the grip of American justice. That to me was extraordinarily telling, as well.

Then, over the course of the next couple of months, when the controversy over Wikileaks was really escalated by the release of the diplomatic cables,there was a lot of public media debates over whether Wikileaks was a force for good or a force for evil, or whatever media morality narrative was, and how that was framed. It on countless shows and television networks.
deanhills
baboosaa wrote:
Then, over the course of the next couple of months, when the controversy over Wikileaks was really escalated by the release of the diplomatic cables,there was a lot of public media debates over whether Wikileaks was a force for good or a force for evil, or whatever media morality narrative was, and how that was framed. It on countless shows and television networks.
I'm not so sure what this has to do with the American Justice system. From where I am, the American Justice system is not a bad one at all, there may be too many laws, especially antiquated ones, but at least they do have a system that works. With regard to Wikileaks though, hopefully the solution will be found in ensuring there are no leaks, rather than creating unnecessary new laws. Wikileaks should have a positive side to it, as it actually identifies to the Governments in the world where the leaks are.
jmi256
baboosaa wrote:
the great fear of almost every person now or previously involved in Wikileaks is that they're going to end up in the custody of the American justice system, because of the black hole of due-process-free punishment that they've seen created and that is sustained for foreign nationals accused of crimes against U.S. national security, because of the way in which people are disappeared without recourse to courts or any political protest.

It's amazing that we have spent decades, probably since the end of WWII, lavishing praise on ourselves as the model of justice for the entire world, the leaders of the free world, lecturing everybody else about what their system of justice ought to be, and yet the fear that so many people around the world have, is that they will end up in the grip of American justice. That to me was extraordinarily telling, as well.

I think you may be confusing the American justice system with foreign policy. The AJS is intended to protect US citizens (and those on US soil) from abuses, but foreign policy and agreements with other countries handles actions on foreign soil. That is why Bush did not want militant combatants brought to the US, and why Obama finally agreed with Bush’s policies, despite campaigning against them.
menino
Yes, I agree that it has more to do with Foreign policies than the local justice system.
But I guess what baboossa is trying to say is that America wants to arrest the people involved in wikileaks, because it involves the American government in its stances and actual dealings with other countries, which is deemed confidential and ofcourse breach of security.
Hello_World
Foreign policy or American justice, wrong is wrong. From the rest of the worlds point of view, America holds itself up as some kind of beacon for freedom then punishes those who criticise it in blantant disregard of freedom of speech. It isn't a good look, sorry to say. So I agree wholeheartedly with baboosa's statement.
And as far as American justice versus foreign policy, Bradley Manning is an American citizen, and not being treated with dignity as far as I can see.