FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your favorite Nirvana's Song!

drummer
I love all of that
But the ones who makes me feel bether are Polly and About a Girl!
That inspire me!
Kurt inpires me!
Ankhanu
I've always been partial to Hairspray Queen.

Not sure it's my favorite, but it's important Razz
gverutes
too many to choose but if I had to pick one it would be Lounge Act.
thony
Smells like teen spirit is the best for me Razz
captainsuperdude
seasons in the sun!
gandalfthegrey
Sounds like teen spirit
welshsteve
Smells Like Teen Spirit for me, although Nevermind also has Stay Away on it, which is a great song. I also liek Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies.
menino
I love Man who sold the world, Smells like teen spirit, about a girl, rape me, all apologies and many others.
I learnt to play "rape me" on guitar a bit, from youtube sites.

Nirvana was a real great band when it came out so long ago, and I love their music till date.
rocking
Smells Like Teen Spirit is my favourite
sandmanxyz
Heart-shaped box
Marcuzzo
They've had several great songs and the ones that I liked the most are Lounge act and lithium.
Thank god that we still have Grohl around.
_AVG_
I really like Come As You Are, it has one of the most catchy riffs of all time! (Although the lyrics could have been better). In general, I don't really listen to much Nirvana but Come As You Are is rated 5 stars in my iTunes!
Josso
20 years since nevermind!! Crazy that album is as old as me
dennisz
thony wrote:
Smells like teen spirit is the best for me Razz
gverutes
i like new wave poly and curmudgeon
tomisme
My most favorite Nirvana's song of all time is "Come as You Are".

[/url]
c'tair
It's gonna be "Man Who Sold the World" or maybe "Plateau".
rocking
Come as you are is my favourite.
Also I actually can play this song on guitar!
Cool
Blummer
Pumping up this thread to say - Nevermind became a real masterpiece. It's not my favorite type of music, but this album is something like a reflection of a whole generation and that era.
Dialogist
c'tair wrote:
It's gonna be "Man Who Sold the World"...

I bet David Bowie is fond of that one too. Smile I'm the same though, my favourite song that they did was a cover version also. Leadbelly's Where Did You Sleep Last Night? I thought they successfully transitioned its original rustic down-home folky sound into rock n roll, like a latterday Dylan might have done (did do) but also something gave it something darker and deeper (as it was Cobain's last performance on the brink of mortality - and you can sense, hear and feel that, almost touch it). If you can change the entire mood of a song, without changing the arrangement or lyrics, then I think a cover version can be worthwhile.

About a Girl is good song too. Most of Nirvana Unplugged is pretty good. I'm glad they did that performance. Not just for proof of musicianship but also for their legacy. I find their albums (even Nevermind - which didn't age like a fine wine) largely forgettable. For example when it came out, I thought it was great, now if I listen to anything from it, I think it's pants.

They are one of the most overrated bands (largely due to untimely exit creating some kind of enigmatic heroic mystery around anyone who achieves notoriety and dies young being some sort of phenomena with human beings) but I don't think they were a particularly talented band, personally. I don't think they had the undefinable something that truly great bands had. They also had one speed up until the MTV Uplugged show - which was basically the same thing on a quieter instrument). Not a great deal in the locker. Not terribly convincing for me.
Ankhanu
Dialogist wrote:
(as it was Cobain's last performance on the brink of mortality - and you can sense, hear and feel that, almost touch it).

Ya know, I've always kinda pondered over whether these aspects of his near-end performances and material were actually present, or if we, knowing the ultimate outcome, are projecting these ideas upon the material. Like you say, you can almost sense the brink of mortality in that performance... you can also grasp it from a lot of In Utero... but was it actually there, or are we just projecting in hind-sight?? Surely someone would have noticed and made mention of these facets before hand if they were so obvious, right?

Dialogist wrote:
They are one of the most overrated bands (largely due to untimely exit creating some kind of enigmatic heroic mystery around anyone who achieves notoriety and dies young being some sort of phenomena with human beings) but I don't think they were a particularly talented band, personally. I don't think they had the undefinable something that truly great bands had. They also had one speed up until the MTV Uplugged show - which was basically the same thing on a quieter instrument). Not a great deal in the locker. Not terribly convincing for me.

Nirvana's success wasn't due to musical mastery, no question. Kurt wasn't a particularly good guitar player, Krist had some interesting bass style, but, again, not jaw-dropping, Dave was hard-hitting and a little bit spastic... but, that's part of what made them. They represented change in music, and in youth culture; they were at the forefront of a movement... not much of a movement, but one that spoke to millions. It's that voice that's important, not the quality of musicianship... especially when the genre was heavily built on punk ideals, in which strong musicianship might actually detract from the ability to connect.
Yeah, a lot of their songs were high mid-tempo, but, again, there was diversity within their material.

I don't think it's fair to say that a large part of their popularity came from Kurt's suicide. That really ignores the pre-death success they garnered. They were pretty much a sensational sweep while Kurt was alive; his death merely prevented them from really "falling from grace", as it were. As a result, the band ONLY had golden years. Same deal with other influential groups/musicians who died before they went south (Hendrix, Ian Curtis, Joplin, Jeff Buckley, SRV, etc.); they have the "benefit" of never quite starting the journey down from their peak. I won't disagree that their deaths have played a part in maintaining their popularity, but, to say that this is why they are popular is somewhat insulting to what they did while alive, and rather short sighted.
c'tair
Dialogist wrote:
c'tair wrote:
It's gonna be "Man Who Sold the World"...

I bet David Bowie is fond of that one too. Smile I'm the same though, my favourite song that they did was a cover version also. Leadbelly's Where Did You Sleep Last Night? I thought they successfully transitioned its original rustic down-home folky sound into rock n roll, like a latterday Dylan might have done (did do) but also something gave it something darker and deeper (as it was Cobain's last performance on the brink of mortality - and you can sense, hear and feel that, almost touch it). If you can change the entire mood of a song, without changing the arrangement or lyrics, then I think a cover version can be worthwhile.

About a Girl is good song too. Most of Nirvana Unplugged is pretty good. I'm glad they did that performance. Not just for proof of musicianship but also for their legacy.

I'd say Unplugged is my fave album, even if it's mostly covers. I like Nirvana's take on a few songs. I also like bleach and a few songs from Nevermind.

One can only wonder what would've happened if Kurt didn't go away. I mean I was still playing with matchbox cars when Nirvana exploded, but their influence could still be felt when I got old enough to start listening to music.
mm365
Very Happy Smile Sure.I love her all !!,It is so great!