FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Comet Elenin





loonix
From http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2010+X1 we can see if we click the 'Orbit Diagram' link the projected orbit of Comet Elenin.

There seems to be a pattern forming every time Elenin lines up with Earth and the sun we have an earthquake, the nearer Elenin gets the bigger the earthquakes.

However a comet should have no gravitational pull.

Coincidence that at points of alignment as this comet enters the inner solar system we have had massive seismic activity on Earth?

February 27th 2010 - Elenin - Earth - Sun - Chile Earthquake

11th March 2011 - Elenin - Earth - Sun - Japan Earthquake

These are just 2 examples.

Is it just coincidence or does this comet have the ability to cause disturbances on Earth?

Discuss =)
Bikerman
Of course it doesn't.
Two coincidences - hardly worth mentioning. I notice that you say 'just two examples' implying there are more....best to provide them methinks.

If you want to look for comets or asteroids correlating with earthquakes then you will almost certainly find a candidate. It is a bogus method of proceding because it starts by assuming the thing in question - that there IS a correlation - and then simply shapes the data to fit, by selecting an appropriate candidate and producing the 'match'.
loonix
Fairly big coincidences though wouldn't you agree?

9th April 2010 - Earth/Sun/Elenin Alignment @ ~6.258AU - New Zealand EQ, 7.1

Another example.

I know for example looking at USGS data that earthquakes happen frequently every day somewhere on Earth. Following this it isn't hard to be able to find an earthquake some place too match a specific date. These 3 examples however were big earthquakes. Not your usual run of the mill daily occurrence on this ere rock. And that is why it grabs my attention.
kelseymh
loonix wrote:
Fairly big coincidences though wouldn't you agree?

9th April 2010 - Earth/Sun/Elenin Alignment @ ~6.258AU - New Zealand EQ, 7.1

Another example.

I know for example looking at USGS data that earthquakes happen frequently every day somewhere on Earth. Following this it isn't hard to be able to find an earthquake some place too match a specific date. These 3 examples however were big earthquakes. Not your usual run of the mill daily occurrence on this ere rock. And that is why it grabs my attention.


It grabs your attention, because your brain is built to find and assume patterns, whether there are any real patterns there or not. This is a trivial post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy, along with biased post-selection of data.

Go do some research on cometary orbits, and make a prediction (in advance, not data mining after the fact) with a date, location and magnitude. Once you've done that successfully numerous times, along with a solid physical mechanism supporting your hypothesis, and maybe people will believe you're doing science, not astrology.
Ankhanu
kelseymh wrote:
It grabs your attention, because your brain is built to find and assume patterns, whether there are any real patterns there or not. This is a trivial <i>post hoc, ergo propter hoc</i> fallacy, along with biased post-selection of data.

Go do some research on cometary orbits, and make a <b>prediction</b> (in advance, not data mining after the fact) with a date, location and magnitude. Once you've done that successfully numerous times, along with a solid physical mechanism supporting your hypothesis, and maybe people will believe you're doing science, not astrology.


Aye, confirmation biasing... it's something that, as a scientist, you have to be VERY careful to avoid. This is why, whenever possible, double blind tests are preferred.

Fairly big coincidences do occur... coincidentally Wink
ocalhoun
loonix wrote:

However a comet should have no gravitational pull.

!?!

Why not? It has mass, doesn't it?
Indi
ocalhoun wrote:
loonix wrote:

However a comet should have no gravitational pull.

!?!

Why not? It has mass, doesn't it?

Well, i suppose that would depend on what it was made out of. If it is ordinary matter, sure. If it is earthquake-causing fairies, then maybe not.
quex
February 27th 2010 : I woke up and ate bran flakes for breakfast.
11th March 2011 : I woke up and ate bran flakes for breakfast.
9th April 2010 : I woke up and ate bran flakes for breakfast.

Oh dear god, I see it now... it's... it's me. Me and those damned bran flakes! WE'RE CAUSING DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ALL OVER THE WORLD! D:>

(So, how often does an Elenin-Sun-Earth alignment happen?)
ecomente
loonix wrote:
From http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2010+X1 we can see if we click the 'Orbit Diagram' link the projected orbit of Comet Elenin.

There seems to be a pattern forming every time Elenin lines up with Earth and the sun we have an earthquake, the nearer Elenin gets the bigger the earthquakes.

However a comet should have no gravitational pull.

Coincidence that at points of alignment as this comet enters the inner solar system we have had massive seismic activity on Earth?

February 27th 2010 - Elenin - Earth - Sun - Chile Earthquake

11th March 2011 - Elenin - Earth - Sun - Japan Earthquake

These are just 2 examples.

Is it just coincidence or does this comet have the ability to cause disturbances on Earth?

Discuss =)


The scientific community does not approve this theory, because there is not "any knonw" fact for a soo small object to interfer soo much with his enviroment. But there are so many coincidences to belive that our ufficial knowledge of phisic can answer this. I personally believe that Elenin could influence our solar sistem in some way, because of soo many coincidences.

Thought: Quantum phisicist say that mind affects the universe.
Bikerman
Quote:


The scientific community does not approve this theory, because there is not "any knonw" fact for a soo small object to interfer soo much with his enviroment.
No, there is no 'theory' to approve, just rantings from morons and people cashing-in on stupidity.
Quote:
But there are so many coincidences to belive that our ufficial knowledge of phisic can answer this.
What coincidences? There is nothing to 'answer'.
Quote:
I personally believe that Elenin could influence our solar sistem in some way, because of soo many coincidences.
You are free to believe whatever you like, but what it has to do with science I don't know.
Quote:
Thought: Quantum phisicist say that mind affects the universe.
No, they don't.
quex
Bikerman wrote:
Quote:


The scientific community does not approve this theory, because there is not "any knonw" fact for a soo small object to interfer soo much with his enviroment.
No, there is no 'theory' to approve, just rantings from morons and people cashing-in on stupidity.
Quote:
But there are so many coincidences to belive that our ufficial knowledge of phisic can answer this.
What coincidences? There is nothing to 'answer'.
Quote:
I personally believe that Elenin could influence our solar sistem in some way, because of soo many coincidences.
You are free to believe whatever you like, but what it has to do with science I don't know.
Quote:
Thought: Quantum phisicist say that mind affects the universe.
No, they don't.


I think he means observational theory on the last one... which is not at all saying that the mind affects the universe, but is often misinterpreted that way.

(It's really just as much proof that we are influenced by the universe. :D)
Related topics
nasa
PLANET-DISSOLVING DUST CLOUD IS HEADED TOWARD EARTH!
How long will Earth survive?
Do You Have a Tatto?
Poem: YOU
when will the world end?
is Space exploration worth it?
Who All Believes In Evolution?
Immortality
Bittorrent
Scientists surprised about comet's ingredients
Green Comet Approaches Earth
Comet Crash
Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) might be visible during the day!!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Science -> The Universe

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.