FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Message / Reply Notification

macky
I'm wondering why we would not try to use a module for this website that can provide a notification message or alarm or what ever that which will inform us that there is a reply to the post we posted or notification if we was "tag" or mentioned by someone else in the related posts. In this way, i believe that, most of the users here, including new users, will be addicted posting more posts, new topic(s) since there are ways the users to communicate although it is given that we were inform through E-mail.

Also the design of the site, since most of us does here is to read and read and read, why not give some options to change the design according to the user account wants, having large fonts if there some problems about reading because of blurred eyes. In this way, it is more prefer to read some large tons of posts by others. Coz i admit, sometimes, i get lazy when the writer of the post or the author wrote tons of messages that you cannot almost read. Although when you create a post, you have the option to enlarge the font size, change the color of it and etc. What i just want to happen it have the user control his own style preference that suites with his eyes.

Why not? right?
Ankhanu
Ya mean this:

Which notifies of all updates to a thread?

Or do you mean replies to specific posts within a thread?
Of specific posts within a thread, it would require fundamental changes in how phpBB handles quotes and replies. It does not attach an identifier to quotes, it's just text with no connection in the database to the original post being quoted... therefore it's impossible for the board to know when a specific post is being replied to.
There are messageboard formats that track each post, and a quote will include (within the quote tag) the identifier number of the post being quoted... but, to implement that in phpBB would require writing a new phpBB code, or switching to another board format that already implements it. Neither of which is anything close to appropriate for a board the size of Frih.
macky
You got my point about the replies specific posts within a thread. Well yeah i also realise that it needs to rewrite some of the scripts in order to provide that kind of features. Also it needs tons of database that will store all of the notification of each thread to each users, and it maybe ends of up to slow connection... hhmmm.. thank you very much for explanation.
Ankhanu
macky wrote:
Well yeah i also realise that it needs to rewrite some of the scripts in order to provide that kind of features.

It's not just some of the scripts, it gets into the core of the programming and how posts are tracked. It's a rewrite of phpBB itself, not scripts that run over it.

As far as database storage, it would be a pretty minor change in data use... a couple megabytes of extra data, perhaps, on a board this size.
ocalhoun
There's another problem with tracking replies to individual posts:
It is pretty likely that a post will get replied to specifically, but not quoted. How is the system to know if a post without any quotes was replying to yours or not?

Notification upon being quoted, however, is quite feasible.
You would just need to have the posting.php?mode=quote page send the email out, after being handed the pertinent data, probably by embedding the data into the code for the 'quote' button in each post.
It would require an additional interface for switching on/off reply notifications for individual posts though.
It would occasionally give a false positive when somebody clicks the quote button, but doesn't submit the post, and would occasionally give a false negative when somebody manually writes in quote tags, but it would be workable.
lightwate
I was thinking of that notifications thing too! Kind of like the one in facebook.

Quote:
There's another problem with tracking replies to individual posts:
It is pretty likely that a post will get replied to specifically, but not quoted. How is the system to know if a post without any quotes was replying to yours or not?

It would be nice if you can follow specific threads and receive notifications when someone posts on that thread. (exactly like the one on facebook.) There should also be a quick button to unsubscribe to that thread.

It would also be nice if our usernames can be tagged (again, like in facebook) and we get notifications for that too. Very Happy
rajpk
you mean someone reply to your thread?
yes this is good suggestion. using this we may know that someone has replied to your thread and it will be good to be updated about what is going on with your thread.
i think Team of Frihost should consider it.
k_s_baskar
Notify me when a reply is posted option is already avail.
Ghost Rider103
Yep, there is an option under edit profile to notify you of a reply to a thread you have posted in.

Not sure if it works or not, Ive never used the thing.

But if we could get notified via a PM or something, or even a new notification system that would be much more useful. The current notification system is done through email, which is why I've never used it.

The idea is great and I don't think it would take that much work. Plus, we shouldn't have to be notified if someone is replying to us. We should just get notified if anyone responds to the thread at all. This is how most sites do it, including Facebook. Though before you make a post to a thread, there should be a check box for "don't notify me of replies to this thread" to avoid mass amounts of notifications in some situations.

Though I'll say this again, none of this can be done until Bondings has free time. Which by then this great idea will unfortunately be forgotten about. Laughing
truespeed
The mail notification is sufficient,and view your posts when you login is sufficient once your signed in.
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Though before you make a post to a thread, there should be a check box for "don't notify me of replies to this thread" to avoid mass amounts of notifications in some situations

I prefer the idea of an opt-in system, rather than an opt-out system. That way you only get the notifications you want.
Ghost Rider103
I thought of that too while I was writing that post.

I figured if you're replying to a thread, chances are you are going to want to know if someone has replied to your post (excluding the "whats your favorite song" type of threads).

So I think there would be more posts in which you would want to be notified of a reply rather than posts you wouldn't want to be notified. Hence the reason I think the opt-out system would work better.

Though ultimately, an option in the edit profile to set the default would be best.
Ankhanu
Ah, yeah, a multi-level system for setting your default behaviour, than editing that behaviour for specific instances would cover all bases.

Really, I generally dislike notifications. I prefer to manually go to things that I'm interested in and check them when I want to go. It's part of why I never got into things like RSS feeds and the like; I compartmentalize and operate on my own time Wink Hence I prefer the idea of opting in, rather than out, as it reduces the likelihood of getting unwanted notifications (I know that I'll click submit without unchecking the opt-out box... and I'll do it a LOT Razz ).
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Though ultimately, an option in the edit profile to set the default would be best.

Which is what we already have...
In your profile, you set the default behavior, and then you can change that behavior for each thread you post in.

(Personally, I get notifications for every post. That does generate a lot of email... Since Feb '11, I've got 3088 emails from Frihost ^.^ ... but I have a special folder set up in my email program, and a sorting rule that puts all the notifications in that folder. Mainly, I just use it to gauge activity and see if it's worth logging in or not... or to check to see if some pet topic has been replied to or not. ... and then, every time I log off of Frihost, I mark everything in that folder as read... I do that for every forum I participate in, with the more minor ones sharing a single folder, and the busier ones all getting their own folders... It lets me quickly gauge which ones have a lot of posts for me to reply to and which don't... And for the ones that don't track read posts well, it helps me keep track of posts I need to read.)

While a 'my watched topics' page might be useful for some users... I'm completely satisfied with the way it is now.
Josso
Quote:
but I have a special folder set up in my email program, and a sorting rule that puts all the notifications in that folder

*OH MY GOD*

*FACEPALM*

If I had done this very simple thing like a decade ago my inbox wouldn't be the mess it is now.