FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Many OS Running in your PC?

cybersa
How Many OS Running in your PC or Laptop?

I have only one OS XP.
But I'm going to install Ubuntu Linux Soon on Machine.
emanuel2
I also just have one OS installed win7. The last time I have installed 2 operating systems, my computer totally ****** up after some months, but that was years ago before it was so easy to install 2 OSs on one computer. The boot manager was really bitchy years ago in the Win95 ages...
Ankhanu
I have two on this one; MacOS 10.6 and Windows 7. I also have another system running Ubuntu, and my wife's system is Win7 only.
cybersa
Is it possible to install both Mac And Windows on one PC?
Peterssidan
I only have one OS running at one time.
My laptop only have Arch Linux installed.
On my desktop I have two versions of Ubuntu installed, not sure if you can call that two different OS's though Wink I only use one of them anyway.
loonix
Machine booting into openSUSE 11.4 with Back Track 5 and Windows XP in Oracle VM, so 3 would be the answer =)
Ankhanu
cybersa wrote:

Absolutely. MacOS is designed to facilitate it on Mac hardware. If you're using PC hardware, installing MacOS has its difficulties, but certain configurations will allow MacOS to run pretty happily (i.e. Hackintosh builds). Of course, if you don't have the right hardware, MacOS won't be the least bit stable.
loonix
From memory if you have a Mac you can boot XP with something called 'Boot Camp' iirc, maybe someone more mac knowledgeable could shed more light on this.
Ankhanu
Doesn't have to be XP, modern versions if Windows are also supported.
Pretty much all Bootcamp is is a boot manager and includes some software for Windows ( i.e. drivers and some tools) to allow Windows to utilize the Mac hardware. Apple supplies the software to make sure it's properly compatible.
loonix
Ankhanu wrote:
Doesn't have to be XP, modern versions if Windows are also supported.
Pretty much all Bootcamp is is a boot manager and includes some software for Windows ( i.e. drivers and some tools) to allow Windows to utilize the Mac hardware. Apple supplies the software to make sure it's properly compatible.

You said it way better than I could, thank you =)
Navigator
I am a virtual machine fan, I have right now around 7 different OS ranging from my host Win7 to Ubuntu and all major Windows OS's since win2k.
loonix
Yeah it was a happy day when I discovered the realms of Virtual Machines. Before that I was triple booting between XP, Vista & RedHat version something or other Wink
surekha1976
I am running two operating system in every computer but different different like XP and windows 2000 in one computer and other is XP and Windows Server 2003 all three computers different operating system and running two OS.

But I like fully only XP no Vista no Window 7 only looks are good but no supported all software
adri
Just Mac OS X Smile (Snow Leopard) I had Parallel Desktop installed on my Mac to run an application for Windows (Solid Edge, 3D modeling) but the trial of Parallel expired so I removed it from my Macbook Pro. Smile Worked quite well though but at the moment I'm in no need of running Windows applications. Very Happy

adri
cybersa
@Ankhanu
Thanks for your great information.
menino
I Have redhat 5.2 Linux distro and Windows 7 dual boot at start up.
But mainly I use windows 7, because mainly of outlook 2010.
I think there is a linux alternative to outlook, but it is not free.
Thunderbird and other mail clients won't work for me in linux, mainly because of reminders and meeting requests.
weltkarte
I use linux (Lubuntu, LXDE). In addition I use virtualbox to run XP (there are still some windows programs I need)... And Vista that was included when I bought my PC is deleted!
Josso
Ubuntu + Win XP
Relentless
Windows XP + Windows 7 on my desktop.
ms_j
ah just one. windows 7. I have no reason to have 2. It would just produce trouble for me.
tamilparks
i am using only one Windows XP
GoldenEagle
I only have 1: Windows 7. So far I love it.

I just my computer in the mail 2 days ago!
ankur209
Well,I am having a dual boot laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 ! Razz
menino
At home, I had Windows XP SP2 and Xubuntu Linux 10.x runnung in dual boot, but a few days ago, the os where xubuntu had been installed crashed, and would not boot up, so I had to remove the hard disk, fix up the boot partition, and now only windows XP is running on it.
Soon, I will have to buy another hard disk and use that to dual boot it with linux os, which I will have to do from scratch.
celebi269
I'm currently running Windows 7 in my PC, but I'm planning to also have MacOS so I can try Coda and XCode for my developing needs.
portoskt
two + three extern disks
NitNik
I'm using actually 3, but it will be more in the next time.

For daily use, XP and Xubuntu (...99% Xubuntu Wink )
For programming and some experimental things: Puppy Linux in a virtual machine.
When I have time, FreeBSD, Slackware, Debian and ReactOS will be my next "targets". Cool
socials
Im just have one, but i will try to install linux, iim curious about using it. I have been using windows for more than 6 years, I think i'm kind of bored of it, and will like to try another OS
tamilparks
now i am using only XP, but i tried to install the ubuntu but i am unable to partition it so i left it
NitNik
tamilparks wrote:
now i am using only XP, but i tried to install the ubuntu but i am unable to partition it so i left it

1. Install Puppy Linux with Unetbootin on a USB-Stick
2. Boot from it into Puppy and start GParted.
3. Resize/Move/Edit your partitions like you need it.
4. Start the Ubuntu Installer (through CD or USB-Stick via Unetbootin) and have fun. Smile

If you are using Internet through Ethernet or a integrated wlan-card, you can use Puppy Linux instead of Ubuntu; try the "frugal" install, with this you can install Puppy Linux into your Windows-partition! But do not forget to start the "Grub4Dos"-Installer after this.
Puppy Linux rules, huh? Cool

If this isn't working, contact me and i'll help you as much as i can... Wink
kirii
i have 2 in my laptop
mac osx lion and windows 7 Very Happy
Asap170
This is my server's setup:

Base OS: Ubuntu 10.10 - Serves as file storage, streams music, and videos.
Virtual OS #1: Debian - Web server.
Virtual OS #2: Windows XP Pro - Used to copy DVDs, Convert Videos, Minecraft Server, and Diablo II server

May add others later if I need to...
codersfriend
Mine is 2, Windows XP and Linux Mint.. I've installed mint inside windows Smile

I wonder if It would still work if windows crashes since linux runs separately on boot
weableandbob
I'm just running good (sort of) ol' Windows 7, and I'm not planning on adding anything else.
gueda
just running windows seven
Radar
If we're counting virtual machines, and including ones that I haven't started up for a while, Ubuntu, Fedora, ChromeOS if I ever get it working, a few versions of Windows.

Yes, some of those are just because I can.
supalightnin
cybersa wrote:
Actually yes it is. Personally I have Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on my computer and I also have Chrome OS installed on my flash drive.
AlessandroG
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

Only one (Windows) for any pc, but I have also a live USB (Linux)
jcreus
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

Got two operating systems, Ubuntu GNU/Linux and Windows XP. However, I got different versions of the Linux kernel installed at the same time (plus recovery versions Very Happy). Poor GNU Grub, so many options to handle!
socialsp
Currently just have one, but I'm thinking about installing linux. But not sure, well currently I have windows 7,but I'm happy with it so far.
jilbs
On my Viao I have Dual Boot
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Ubuntu Natty (11.04) 32 bit
Inside Windows 7 i have installed Virtual box where I run
1. Windows XP Sp3 basically for programming in VB 6 and Crystal Report 8.5
2. Turnkey Linux Appliance for Joomla (Needed a Dedicated Virtual PC so i can easily
access it over the network
3. I also have OS X leopard (for tech support purposes and to get familiar with the GUI). I rarely
use it though.

On my Desktop (Core 2 Duo) I only have Windows 7 Ultimate my file server / Gaming and Multimedia Computer.

On my P4 Desktop I installed Cent OS 5.5 for the Asterisk + free Pbx server which im currently using
for local and overseas call (thanks to google voice)

On my Table I have P1000 Galaxy tab with Gingerbread Installed (just updated it from froyo to gingerbread last week and it was nice. there's lots of improvement. you can find them on google)
dragoescovilha
Currently with Win 7 and Linux Mint in dual-boot.

I think Microsoft did a good work with this Win 7 (Vista was a fail...), but I used MAC OSX Snow Leopard for 2 years and it's my choice for working.
haola
I have two. one is XP,and the other is Ubuntu linux.
LostOverThere
I used to hae a few, now, my main desktop only runs Windows 7, whilst my laptop only runs Ubuntu 11.04. I find it easier to maintain this way.
PScript
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

2 on my pc ofc..!!
xp sp2
linux gnu m4

and my laptop berly can run win98 lol gotta buy new one =D
nivinjoy
I have Windows 7 on one laptop. Then in the second one I have both Windows 7 and Ubuntu up and working fine.
Adiiforu
I had a old harddisk of 40GB which had Windows xp, I upgraded it to 500GB, so I installed windows 7 on it.

But My TV tuner cards driver wont work on windows 7 so i connected both my hdd. Now i change the boot sequence when i have to watch tv
catscratches
Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but I really only use Windows...
mukesh
Currently i am using win 7 x64 in my computer
Amann
I have two operating Systems instaled on my computer:-
MacOS 10.6 and Windows 7.

planing to install Windows 8 development version.....
Does any one have any idea about Windows 8 ....?
ankur209
I have two system- a PC and a laptop Cool On PC its Windows Xp and on Lappy its Ubuntu(Linux) and Windows 7 Cool
pioneer987
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

I am running only windows 7, I used to run linux as well, but I noticed that if I had windows, I wouldn't log in to linux.. Smile
blazy
I have windows 7 but i'm thinking to buy new computer with mac
mazito
well Win 7 64 Bits, Android Emulator, and from today for tresting purposes the IPADIAN that emulates the IPAD, i try it because i a little dissapointed with Android Tablets, but i have in my hands an iPad and i like it, so, may be i will buy it in the near future.

in fact i am write this using the emulator
Chellesei
I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Kubuntu 11.10 on my computer. Smile We have a netbook that's running Windows XP and a laptop running Windows Vista.
I really want to buy a Mac. Confused So I gotta save a LOT for me to buy it soon. Wink
ilmkidunya1
i have installed windws 7 on pc and ubunti 12 on vm, back track, and windows 2008 data center edition
Gregoric
Two Microsoft systems. Windows 7 as primary, for everyday use - since beta it is present on my computer all the time. Modified lots of times but also messy - sometimes requires cleaning using few different applications to get fresh again.

Secondary is Windows XP JG. It is only distribution (modification) that supports both x64 apps and is released in Polish. It is also tuned making it very useful system. However, it is supposed to be used only in emergency situations, if Win 7 fails. Then, it haven't been used since the installation. Hah, I've changed graphics card from ATI to nVidia and it still has the aTi one.
c'tair
I use Windows 7 on my desktop because I mostly do everyday stuff on it.

On my laptop however I run Ubuntu+XP. I had some fun with crunchbang, a debian based distro, lots of setting things up, but I finally decided to go back to gnome and to encrypt my home partition.
vaishnavsm
I poly-boot the following:
WinXP on Hdd

Ubuntu, xUbuntu, lUbuntu, Kubuntu ,DSL,Arch,Puppy,Knoppix and LFS on usb's

Slitaz, system rescue disc, Backtrack nimblex, Slax on CD/DVD

That's a total of 15 os's on 1 pc. Lol.

I love playing with operating systems.

===========================SIGN================================
Im Vaishnav and I'm 14. Razz

Edit: by System rescue disk, i mean System Rescue Cd.[/url]
blueray
Did you trust or not ?

I am still running the very older operating system, windows 2000, plus windows xps (sp2) and redhat linux (for Internet sharing with other computers and writing simple scripts)

Windows 7 is there on my laptop and for Internet access only.

p.s. Windows 7 is great and very stable, but it required more and more memory for smooth normal operations. I have 4GB ram installed in the laptop and will run slowly when total memory down to a certain level about 1GB (only running with internet explorer 9. So that I may need to add some more ram.) Smile
lightningleo
well... mine got.. 3 os's.. one is windows xp, 2nd is windows 7 and the 3rd is windows 8 consumer preview..

got 1 tb hard drive so i don't thing there's anything to worry about..
Mark_Brown11
You can use two operating for your personal computer. One for Internet and another for daily work. Thus you are much protected from malicious program and I think it will increase your daily job efficiency. Check your partition and create two room for two OS. then install successively. How you can use two operating learn from http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-run-two-operating-system-same-computer
jdelfire
I'd love to answer this one...

1. Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
2. Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
3. Windows XP 32bit
4. Windows 2003 server Standard edition
5. Windows 2008 server RC2

soon windows 8...

The reason for this is it's part of my job doing - beta testing of various software
lobokun
so far only windows 8 as primary but i also run linux and xp on my vmware
pauline123
Currently my desktop has only two. It has had up to eight before: several different versions of linux and a windows partition. It still has the windows partition but only one linux distribution: Arch Linux. The two OSes are set up to be able to work from within each others partitions on files that way I do not have to reboot to work on my documents and stuff, only to run applications that I have not found alternatives to or to test out a new piece of code on that OS.
chartcentral
The thread title How Many OS Running in your PC? is kind of tricky. As already pointed out before, only one will be "running" at a time (unless you would also count any virtual PC running). That being said, this unit I'm using is on dual-boot. Main operating system is Windows 7, with Splashtop as the alternate quick boot. Smile
mukesh
I have windows 7 and xp in a laptop. And I try to command a linux operating system so in virtual op also available in my laptop . So i can said that i have total three Operating System in my laptop Very Happy
Tuvitor
My main OS is Windows 7 and I don't have a partitioning scheme set up right now with a dual boot... but I have like seven different OS'es in virtualbox and I'll often be running two or three OS'es at once. I love the 64-bit era....
zimmer
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

I have only one windows 7 professional because all my installer purchase is designed and compatible with Microsoft windows. I am planning to purchase MAC but compared the resources of installer installed on my Microsoft windows i think some of my applications dont have MAC installer so i will stick with Microsoft windows and compared with the price.. more cheaper is windows installer compared to MAC.
anthony2011
I am running bith Linux and Windows on my PC.

1)Windows XP.
2)Windows 7 x32 bit.
3)Windows 7 x64 bit.
4)Ubuntu 11.04.

Also I am trying to install hackintosh snow leopard on my PC. But its not working 100%
adolfogavin
My laptop has Windows 7 Professional OS.

But I'm planning to install Windows 8 Release Preview alongside Windows 7.
k_s_baskar
I have Windows XP in pc and Win7 in my Laptop.
cnmdlb007
WIndows 2003 for the host

in vmware workstation,

a windows xp, a windows 8, a debian, a freebsd
appsapps
My main PC dual boots XP/Ubuntu with a wubi install. I like being able to back up/restore my ubuntu easily by just copying one file while I am in Windows. I am a bit of a Linux newbie and prone to frequently breaking things.
darthrevan
Should I count the one I don't use? If so, I have 3. Windows, Semplice and Ubuntu(though I have xubuntu and lubuntu on it as well). I have never really gave LXDE a try, but I am kinda enjoying it. It is simple and lightweight as well.
nepalstar
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

Currently only one Operating System is running in my Laptop but I've installed VMware so whenever I need another operating system I just run that Virtual Machine and I got new fresh PC. I use Virtual Machine specially for Linux and to test some applications which I don't wanna take risk, it's really nice to have Virtual Machine to test before installing on Real Machine.

I think it's better to install Virtual Machine than install multiple Operating Systems in single PC...!
darthrevan
nepalstar wrote:
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

Currently only one Operating System is running in my Laptop but I've installed VMware so whenever I need another operating system I just run that Virtual Machine and I got new fresh PC. I use Virtual Machine specially for Linux and to test some applications which I don't wanna take risk, it's really nice to have Virtual Machine to test before installing on Real Machine.

I think it's better to install Virtual Machine than install multiple Operating Systems in single PC...!

Yeah it is good to test a distro through a virtual app . I usually keep an extra partition to try and install one.
ZeytinGrafik
I use windows vista + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my computer. I'm planing to use hackintosh to install macosx on my computer.
subhan1
one and only one OS !!
Windows 7 Smile
william
As of right now I only have one operating system installed (Windows 7 x64) due to storage limitations on my SSD. It used to also run OS X in a virtual machine, which worked decently though graphics drivers were a nightmare. It was a technical exercise, but I just didn't have the space for it.

My other computer runs a dual boot Windows XP / Ubuntu 12.04 and my laptop runs Windows 7 and Windows XP with remnants of Windows 8 (and has had several Linux distros installed over the years). I also have another system with Arch Linux. I think that covers all of the active systems. I have a few older systems still running Windows 95 and 98.
milkshake01
I only have Mac OS X install.
manverupl
Two OS: Windows 8 and Linux Ubuntu 12.04
limpands
I had two yesterday: Xubuntu 32 bit and Windows 7 32 bit. I found out that i had a 64 bit Processor, so i reinstalled Xubuntu on my computer. When i was on my way to reinstall Xubuntu i got an alternative that said that i could use Xubuntu as my main Partition(Deleting Windows 7). I choose that option and i am now running Xubuntu as my one and only Operating System.
Arrogant
I have installed Windows 8 and Ubuntu in my laptop
So that would be two
andro_king
I have a genuine windows 8 installed on my PC .
mukesh
lightningleo wrote:
well... mine got.. 3 os's.. one is windows xp, 2nd is windows 7 and the 3rd is windows 8 consumer preview..

got 1 tb hard drive so i don't thing there's anything to worry about..

omg 3 operating system is suitable in 1 pc ?

I know 2 OS enough in a pc.
riteshk1
In my PC i used only 1 operating system that is Windows 7.
Arrogant
Just one
Ubuntu 13.04
Couldn't dual boot with Win8
drjim
i'm only using one. i don't really have an interest in using another operating system for whatever reasons. windows 7 is suiting me just fine. Very Happy not curious about apple's mack or linux or unix or whatever else is out there. windows 7 is pretty solid, and i'm content with it. hehe. Cool
sysna
Win 8.1
Linux Debian 7 32bit
Linux Debian 7 64bit

Thats all for now Very Happy
Da Rossa
Wow, why having three operating systems!! What's the use?

And why couldn't ou dualboot Ubuntu with Windows 8?
Arrogant
I have a Ubuntu and
Windows XP running on virtual box
Does that count?
Da Rossa
Arrogant wrote:
I have a Ubuntu and
Windows XP running on virtual box
Does that count?

Yeah that counts, but it would count even more if you told us why to have two OS's at a time!
Arrogant
Just trying virtualization
Now i have Ubuntu 13.10 only
geekbackpacker
Josso wrote:
Ubuntu + Win XP

me too
harrer
One
loveandormoney
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

One computer
one OS..
So all is very easy.
mattk71
My laptop runs Windows 7, but I also run different versions of Linux from both a usb stick and an external hard drive. I also have Windows 7 running on a virtualbox within my Windows 7.
Da Rossa
Windows 7 virtually inside another Windows 7 installation? Why is that?
zacky
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

Only linux distro.. Fedora and Ubuntu. Why? Because I don't have my much money to replace my gear every now and then so I decided to stick up with my old laptop which I bought mid 2008. Still kicking but you know can't play the latest games and applications.
riteshk1
I am using two operating system like Window xp and windows 8
aayushsrivastava14
I have 4! Windows XP, Linux Mint, Lucid Puppy Linux and LXpup. I use XP for gaming, Lucid for Surfing, LXpup just for style and Mint for usual stuff.
hello150744
I have two,kali linux and win8 Surprised
nam_siddharth
I have 8 Computers in my Cyber cafe and all running Windows 8.1. Since Windows 10 update is free, I will update all computers to Windows 10 just after its official launch. I run other OS only in virtual machines.
akonvisher
Debian+Windows XP.
Also Virtual boxes under both of them.
Under Linux I have WInXP, WIn8, XUbuntu and Debian too for experimental projects.
dan_l2
I have ununtu, and windows 7
kaysch
harrer wrote:
One

Me too. Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. And I'm quite happy with it.
alfredolx
Two, i am using Lion and Windows 7 on a mac pro, no virtual machine, just two diferent physical disks, with one OS on each one Wink
playfungames
Right now I have
- Windows 8.1
- Linux Mint

In my PC. I installed Linux Mint a couple of weeks ago. I hardly use it though. I went through a lot of trouble installing it with my bootloader. It just wouldn't show up in my booting options.

Right now, to switch to linux, I not only have to restart my PC but I have to also change my Boot settings to classic or legacy or something like that from the BIOS. Then I restart it and I see Linux Mint in the options. But this way I can't boot Windows 8.1.

It's pretty complicated with my system right now. But I will get to learning and using this Linux OS pretty soon. I want to learn using the terminal, bash programming etc. I hope I get to it.

And talking about OSes, I sometimes run Android Emulators from within my Windows 8.1 system. The emulators like Andy allows me to run Android as a Virtual Machine from withing my Windows. I use it to access some of my apps at times. Sometimes, I run Android purely to take screenshots for my blog.
mrkk
Because I use a Macintosh, I would always have trouble playing the games I wanted that required Windows. A workaround I found was not exactly an operating system, but a "bottle." It was called Wine and it essentially created a self-contained Windows platform inside of an Mac .app file so I could run Windows executables on my Mac OS X. Not sure if that counts, hehe.
Arrogant
Well currently only two.
Archlinux with i3 is my primary operation system.
I have got Windows 7 to play games, and for some applications I need.
yavuz
I have ubuntu 15.10 and windows 8.1 embedded. I generally use linux and rarely use windows.
marathon13
I use two operating systems. Windows xp and 7
servertest
I changed from Windows XP to Windows 7 after support stopped for Windows XP. Also upgraded my computer equipment at the same time. I reluctantly let go of XP as I thought it was the best Windows ever, still think it is. However I don't really have that many complaints about Windows 7, except it's Microsoft, it spies, and there are too many updates and too many requests to change to Windows 10.
zarawatsonn
Currently I am using only single operating system in my PC, but i thinks to install Kali also.
loveandormoney
cybersa wrote:

I have only one OS XP.

One PC one OS

so one computer is using DOS the other an Linux. But dont mix.