FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

End of the world June 21

sketteksalfa
Are there any followers of Camping here? What did you do before the said end of the world and how did you feel that it didnt happened.

Now Camping said that the destruction is Oct 21 instead, would you still believe him.
Insanity
I believe it was May 21, or something like that. The day of Judgment obviously did not come, so he's just another in a long line of people who claim that the Rapture has come and everything. I wouldn't take anything these people say without a grain of salt.
Bikerman
Why on earth would anyone believe him? He is a charlatan.
tingkagol
sketteksalfa wrote:
What did you do before the said end of the world and how did you feel that it didnt happened.

I'm no follower of Camping, but I bet they're relieved. Those who were disappointed deserve to be smacked in the head.
menino
Bikerman wrote:
Why on earth would anyone believe him? He is a charlatan.

Only God knows when the world will end.

Better to be prepared, or enjoy yourself to the max, ... or a bit of both.

A good time to be good to others as well, if possible... as part of the preparation.
Even if you don't believe in God, its better to die being loved, than being hated, or even disliked.
ocalhoun
menino wrote:

Even if you don't believe in God, its better to die being loved, than being hated, or even disliked.

Now there's an interesting statement...
I have only one question: Why is it better?
Bluedoll
menino wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
menino wrote:
Now there's an interesting statement...
I have only one question: Why is it better?
Why did I just repeat the first quote?
The answer for that is the same answer I have for the second quote . . . because it is worth it.
Bikerman
ROFLMAO. Camping must have had a crossed-line then - or God has a sense of humour. Bit of a mean trick, though, getting Camping to waste millions of dollars, and look like a complete idiot, by whispering to him...At least he had the courage of his convictions and actually put his money where his whispering God was - maybe he'll get God-Points for that.

It is strange, is it not, that millions of folks claim that God speaks to them, but when he says anything specific it always turns out to be wrong.

Lesson - when God speaks to you, take his number and ring back.
Navigator
This guy is a real piece of work, manipulating the expectations of his apparently large community like this, an October failure would only bring a bigger disappointment to his followers, someone would say that if someone believes this nutjob is his/her own fault and should deal with the consequences, but what about the kids whose parents expended their money?
Bikerman
Darwinian evolution at work. The kids will starve to death and thereby remove the chance of the stupidity gene passing into the next generation Smile
deanhills
Darn! And here I thought our next deadline was 21 December 2012. Are they now doing this on a month to month basis? Wonder whether there is some shady dealings involved as well. Start a dooms day movement and then get people to donate all their property to a special cause as they won't be needing anything after 21 June?
Navigator
Check this out, someone lost 300K to the doomsday prophet.

http://www.wgal.com/r/28091388/detail.html
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
Darwinian evolution at work. The kids will starve to death and thereby remove the chance of the stupidity gene passing into the next generation Smile

No!

Social welfare programs will cover the children, and prevent them from starving.
Being poor, they'll be statistically more likely to have a greater number of children of their own...

So the stupidity leads not to the elimination of the gene, but rather the increased spread of it!
airh3ad
This is not true nobody know the end of the world listen… no body on this earth can predict when the world will end! only god him self.. so that nut job who said the world will end he WILL go to hell for alerting the world for the end of humanity. no one can play god!!! those who do will go to hell! 2012 is not the worlds end either! the world will end one day it has already begun with these earth quakes because we have destroyed it.. but it will end.. maybe not in our life but in our future kids or kids kids.. so here's the messages to the nut job. and for alerting the people that they will die! u will suffer in hell for your sin!
epi97
airh3ad wrote:
This is not true nobody know the end of the world listen… no body on this earth can predict when the world will end! only god him self.. so that nut job who said the world will end he WILL go to hell for alerting the world for the end of humanity. no one can play god!!! those who do will go to hell! 2012 is not the worlds end either! the world will end one day it has already begun with these earth quakes because we have destroyed it.. but it will end.. maybe not in our life but in our future kids or kids kids.. so here's the messages to the nut job. and for alerting the people that they will die! u will suffer in hell for your sin!

Matthew 24:36
Today's New International Version (TNIV)
The Day and Hour Unknown

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[a] but only the Father.

So Jesus didn't even know, the day or hour.

But that does not mean we shouldn't be ready for. Because tells to be prepared , be awake.
watersoul
epi97 wrote:
But that does not mean we shouldn't be ready for. Because tells to be prepared , be awake.

Lol! How long are we supposed to be prepared and waiting?!

There have been "The end is nigh" doomsayers in every generation, probably ever since religion evolved as a controlling force in society.
It still surprises me that so many people fall for this silliness, oh well, I guess it will always attract the vulnerable and lonely types who can replace their fears of the day to day 'real' world with invented fear of a greater power who destroys the bad and saves the good.

I say worry about the life you know you're living today, and leave worries about unfounded prophecies for mental health service users to deal with - there are support agencies out there! Laughing
epi97
watersoul wrote:
epi97 wrote:

There have been "The end is nigh" doomsayers in every generation, probably ever since religion evolved as a controlling force in society.
It still surprises me that so many people fall for this silliness, oh well, I guess it will always attract the vulnerable and lonely types who can replace their fears of the day to day 'real' world with invented fear of a greater power who destroys the bad and saves the good.

I say worry about the life you know you're living today, and leave worries about unfounded prophecies for mental health service users to deal with - there are support agencies out there! Laughing

The time was set when Adam and Eve sinned. That has not changed.
There are plenty of signs when end is very close.
Even what governments will be here, what the what the world will be like, conditions of the earth itself.
Very few prophecies left to be fulfilled.

One that has not been fulfilled yet is that governments from around the world will have only one idea and that is to get rid of religions altogether. They will think that if they do that, there will be peace.
( they of course don't realize that most people go to wars for other reasons as well)
It is going to look like they will be successful. This is when God steps in.
But of course, you have to wait for that to happen to see the fulfilment.
watersoul
epi97 wrote:
watersoul wrote:
epi97 wrote:

Even what governments will be here, what the what the world will be like, conditions of the earth itself.

One that has not been fulfilled yet is that governments from around the world will have only one idea and that is to get rid of religions altogether. They will think that if they do that, there will be peace.
( they of course don't realize that most people go to wars for other reasons as well)

I understand you believe all that to be the case, but I don't share that belief as it is not based on any evidence as far as I'm aware.
If you have any specific information/verification to support your beliefs then please feel free to share them because I'd be interested to learn something new, but reading similar posts in other threads I shall not hold my breath waiting Wink

I notice you're new here as well so welcome to Frihost.
epi97
watersoul wrote:
epi97 wrote:
watersoul wrote:
epi97 wrote:

I understand you believe all that to be the case, but I don't share that belief as it is not based on any evidence as far as I'm aware.
If you have any specific information/verification to support your beliefs then please feel free to share them because I'd be interested to learn something new, but reading similar posts in other threads I shall not hold my breath waiting Wink

I notice you're new here as well so welcome to Frihost.

Thanks Watersoul.

Revelation 17:15-17
15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages. 16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to give the beast their power to rule, until God’s words are fulfilled.

The Babylon in Revelation is likened to a harlot riding upon a scarlet-colored beast with seven heads representing kings—an eighth king springing from the preceding seven. (This symbolizes the League of Nations, replaced later by the UN—both of which have been made up of many nations.) The the 10 horns will turn on the harlot and destroy her.
This harlot is all false religion, including Christendom. The reason false religions is a harlot, is because she is in bed with the governments. She was supposed to be separate from them ( Just as Jesus was)

The scarlet-colored beast with seven heads representing kings, so this is worldly governments.
But did you notice God puts it in the the beasts minds , to ruin her, to burn her with fire which means to destroy her.
So the governments will turn against religions, and destroy them, just until the fulfilment of this prophecy. Then God steps in and that will be Armageddon. But did you know notice God puts it in the minds of the governments to do this. This is how God will destroy the false religions of the world.
Ankhanu
Out of curiosity, Epi, what criteria do you use for choosing biblical translations? I've noted no rhyme or reason as to why you choose YLT vs. TNIV vs. WYC vs. GNT vs. whatever else you may have quoted. Sometimes the chosen translation can have a huge impact upon the perceived subtext (or even outright statement) of a passage, so I'm kind of wondering how you choose which one is correct, especially when choosing differently at different times.
watersoul
epi97 wrote:

15 Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages. 16 The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire. 17 For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to give the beast their power to rule, until God’s words are fulfilled.

The Babylon in Revelation is likened to a harlot riding upon a scarlet-colored beast with seven heads representing kings—an eighth king springing from the preceding seven. (This symbolizes the League of Nations, replaced later by the UN—both of which have been made up of many nations.) The the 10 horns will turn on the harlot and destroy her.
This harlot is all false religion, including Christendom. The reason false religions is a harlot, is because she is in bed with the governments. She was supposed to be separate from them ( Just as Jesus was)

The scarlet-colored beast with seven heads representing kings, so this is worldly governments.
But did you notice God puts it in the the beasts minds , to ruin her, to burn her with fire which means to destroy her.
So the governments will turn against religions, and destroy them, just until the fulfilment of this prophecy. Then God steps in and that will be Armageddon. But did you know notice God puts it in the minds of the governments to do this. This is how God will destroy the false religions of the world.

Hmm, interesting theory I've heard a few times before. I've read Revelations many times myself but have never come close to holding the same belief, simply because the source of the information is just an ancient multiple translated text with an unverifiable author.

Good luck with it if it gives you purpose in your life though, if you do find anything tangiable/observable/verifiable etc, please feel free to PM or share with the world, but until then, simple quotes from one of many versions of the Bible just won't do it for me. Rolling Eyes
epi97
Ankhanu wrote:
Out of curiosity, Epi, what criteria do you use for choosing biblical translations? I've noted no rhyme or reason as to why you choose YLT vs. TNIV vs. WYC vs. GNT vs. whatever else you may have quoted. Sometimes the chosen translation can have a huge impact upon the perceived subtext (or even outright statement) of a passage, so I'm kind of wondering how you choose which one is correct, especially when choosing differently at different times.

The bible is the bible. some translations are not as easy to understand than some others , but the truth is in the bible.
You noticed that I answered one of the 'contradictions' that you brought to me.
Did you accept what I said there?
epi97
watersoul wrote:
epi97 wrote:

Hmm, interesting theory I've heard a few times before. I've read Revelations many times myself but have never come close to holding the same belief, simply because the source of the information is just an ancient multiple translated text with an unverifiable author.

Good luck with it if it gives you purpose in your life though, if you do find anything tangiable/observable/verifiable etc, please feel free to PM or share with the world, but until then, simple quotes from one of many versions of the Bible just won't do it for me. Rolling Eyes

Actually most people feel the way you do. So you can have comfort with knowing that.

The 'last days' mentioned in the bible, is paralleled by Noah's time. The failure to survive for them was they took no note, of what was happening around them. They missed the opportunity, to support God's purpose at that time.
Noah sat in that ark for 7 days before the rain fell. The people outside would have been jeering, him relentlessly. Just until the first drops started to fall.

Any way, Ankhanu , did you notice the 7 days, for completeness?
Ankhanu
Honestly, I didn't look too closely at it. The point was to point out that contradictions exist, not to look for apologetics for them. I'll take a closer look later and put some comparative thought into it... but at the moment, I'm mostly doing quick look/reply efforts, as the Frih forum has been one of my main forms of procrastination as I work on editing my thesis... I can't put too much effort into Frih right now, or else I'll simply be not working on what I should be, rather than taking quick peeks Razz

(I know, I know... even quick peeks count as not working and I shouldn't be doing them...)
epi97
Ankhanu wrote:
Honestly, I didn't look too closely at it. The point was to point out that contradictions exist, not to look for apologetics for them. I'll take a closer look later and put some comparative thought into it... but at the moment, I'm mostly doing quick look/reply efforts, as the Frih forum has been one of my main forms of procrastination as I work on editing my thesis... I can't put too much effort into Frih right now, or else I'll simply be not working on what I should be, rather than taking quick peeks Razz

(I know, I know... even quick peeks count as not working and I shouldn't be doing them...)

Actually no they don't, it is the person that hasn't researched it enough or they just don't get what the scriptures say.
I have answered some of those for the site that put them up and they still leave up. So you can guess what that's all about.

What's your thesis about?
Ankhanu
Don't mind me if I don't simply accept your claim... or mind... in the end it's not going to matter, 'cause I'm going to investigate anyway, it's what I do Wink
Now, I'm no biblical scholar, but I have done some reading in the past... and, like actual biblical scholars and lay folk alike, I have read contradicting passages, most of which were included in the Muslim's list of contradictions, and also pointed out by Christians and atheists alike. Some of them aren't even interpretation issues, it's literal contradiction in the vein of: "this event occurred at night" and "this event occurred at midday"... I'd go back and cite them, but they are included in source material I have provided and in material Bikerman provided. They're pretty clear. Some contradictions can be explained away with enough snake oil and imagination, but some are simply there, bald-faced and unabashed.

My thesis is currently titled: The influence of pasture management intensity on species richness and abundance of beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae, Staphylinidae and Curculionoidea) on a managed Nova Scotia pasture.
It's a nice, concise title Wink
Bikerman
'Species richness and abundance' implies (to me) a wider study than beetles. I presume that is the intent, and that this is a predominently beetle study in the context of a wider picture of species health? If so I say it is smack on the money. (can't help being a teacher, even when so far off my own turf that my ears are bleeding).
Ankhanu
You're reading too much into it Wink
But, in doing so, you are correct at the end (if you replace "species health" with "ecosystem health" or "ecosystem integrity")

Species richness and abundance are simply measures that, when combined (in different methods of analysis), are informative of biotic diversity. Species richness is simply defined as the number of species and abundance is the number of individuals; there's nothing more implied by them, they're simply metrics.

My study is looking at the richness and abundance of three beetle taxa (in order of their taxon appearance in the title): ground beetles, rove beetles and weevils (using super family here rather than family due to similarity in ecological roles) as surrogates for overall beetle diversity. They were chosen based on the results of two undergrad research projects on the same pasture in concert with literature review; they're the most abundant and species rich taxa on pasture and cover a wide range of ecological niches and, in some cases, known use as indicators of environmental disturbance.
In the broader scope, beetle diversity is being used as a surrogate for overall ecosystem diversity, and my research feeds into a post-doctoral project synthesizing the results of studies on plant diversity, soil biotic diversity, nutrient loading and leaching, etc. (There was a plan to look at the effects on pasture associated birds, but the experimental scale was determined to be too small).
So, while you were right about the wider study, it wasn't exactly for the reason that you thought Wink My study can exist in vacuum, though it would be much less valuable and informative than when synthesized with the other studies and the broader context of pasture management, biodiversity and sustainability.

Sorry about the side-track from faith-based doomsday issues... I'm on this planet for the long-haul Razz
epi97
Ankhanu wrote:
Don't mind me if I don't simply accept your claim... or mind... in the end it's not going to matter, 'cause I'm going to investigate anyway, it's what I do Wink
Now, I'm no biblical scholar, but I have done some reading in the past... and, like actual biblical scholars and lay folk alike, I have read contradicting passages, most of which were included in the Muslim's list of contradictions, and also pointed out by Christians and atheists alike. Some of them aren't even interpretation issues, it's literal contradiction in the vein of: "this event occurred at night" and "this event occurred at midday"... I'd go back and cite them, but they are included in source material I have provided and in material Bikerman provided. They're pretty clear. Some contradictions can be explained away with enough snake oil and imagination, but some are simply there, bald-faced and unabashed.

My thesis is currently titled: The influence of pasture management intensity on species richness and abundance of beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae, Staphylinidae and Curculionoidea) on a managed Nova Scotia pasture.
It's a nice, concise title Wink

If your going to investigate, try looking at what the scientists say, that is really a black hole.
I like to investigate also.( You may have figured that out.)
Like I said the bible is in harmony with itself. Be careful if your not going to acknowledge when I am correct with these, then what is the point of answering them for you? It tells me your not serious about this.

So are you Canadian, on the east coast? I'm on the west coast.
Bikerman
OK got it. Writing in scientific language is so alien to the non scientist (and I'm relatively familiar with reading journals in some areas) that it is being taught as a separate course at some European universities Smile

Sounds like solid science to me. Where are you publishing (or hoping to)?
Ankhanu
epi97 wrote:
... Be careful if your not going to acknowledge when I am correct with these, then what is the point of answering them for you? It tells me your not serious about this.

No, no, if I'm going to investigate a claim, it tells you that I am serious. I don't expect anyone to take my word for things, generally you can, but I do make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, so I like to make sure that the information I'm getting is good.
Our discourses should never be all there is to the story. They offer a point from which to make our own forays into the wilderness of information, and a basis from which to investigate what's there and a counterpoint for comparison. Sometimes the wider field and perspective will corroborate our tales, sometimes it shows that we've made a claim based on an incorrect perspective.

epi97 wrote:
So are you Canadian, on the east coast? I'm on the west coast.

Yep, Nova Scotian; working on my MSc through UPEI.
We've got a few FriHosters on the west coast, or previously associated with the west coast. I haven't noticed any others from here in the Maritimes (or Atlantic Canada, let's include Newfoundland&Labrador) though. A couple are in Ontario too.
Ankhanu
Bikerman wrote:
OK got it. Writing in scientific language is so alien to the non scientist (and I'm relatively familiar with reading journals in some areas) that it is being taught as a separate course at some European universities Smile

Sounds like solid science to me. Where are you publishing (or hoping to)?

Yeah, the language can be confusing if you're not familiar with it... but with exposure it become second nature Razz
Often when you see diversity reported outside of biology, it's generally simply referring to species richness, and usually across several taxa (groups of classification, general term, might mean families, Kingdoms, genera, what have you; sometimes mixtures of levels), or even the entire ecosystem. When biologists discuss diversity, we're talking about a synthesis of both the number of species and the relative abundance of each, including the evenness, which is a measure of how evenly the number of individuals is spread among the represented species. So, for example, a system with 10 species and 200 individuals where one species has 120 individuals, the next has 60 individuals and the remaining 20 individuals are spread amongst the remaining 8 species is less diverse than a system in which there are 20 individuals in each of the 10 species.
Blah, blah, blah.

The data's pretty good, and the stats I've used are, as far as I know, in good order. There're a couple more things I plan to do with my data for publishing post-thesis, borrowing some data from the plant and soil folks (for co-authorships, of course Wink ) to relate diversity to environmental factors. Some preliminary ordinations I conducted a while back shows some promise for a couple factors to explain the in-pasture distributions I saw.
I've submitted a full draft of my thesis to my supervisors, and am now moving information around; reducing the introductions of the publishable chapters and beefing up my intro/lit review. I really should have been done this work in the beginning of 2008, but, I got a full time job, moved back to NS with my family and my productivity went down the tubes. Add to that being a MASTER PROCRASTINATOR (look at me, I'm doin it now) and my data sat analyzed and partially reported for two years before I started making headway on writing up the thesis Razz

Prospective journals include Canadian Entomologist (Canadian Entomological Society); Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society (regional society); Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment; maybe something like Zootaxa (but probably not)... There are a few to submit to, we'll see who takes my submissions Razz
Bikerman
I understand the procrastinator mentality - I have to leave things until there is sufficient pressure to overcome the inertial drag.
Always remember the late great Douglas Adams famous words - 'I love deadlines. I like to hear the whooshing sound they make as they fly past!'
epi97
Quote:
No, no, if I'm going to investigate a claim, it tells you that I am serious. I don't expect anyone to take my word for things, generally you can, but I do make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, so I like to make sure that the information I'm getting is good.
Our discourses should never be all there is to the story. They offer a point from which to make our own forays into the wilderness of information, and a basis from which to investigate what's there and a counterpoint for comparison. Sometimes the wider field and perspective will corroborate our tales, sometimes it shows that we've made a claim based on an incorrect perspective.

There is nothing wrong with checking things out.
As for my words, they don't come from me. They are based on what the evidence there is. And your correct no one is perfect. Or knows everything. That is why many do not understand, the bible they think it is like everything else. Which it is not.
But we should know some things and build on it.
Because God's ways are contrary, to the ways of the world ( Satans' system) It is much harder that to go that route. Thus many people do not want that, what they want is to get ahead in this system. Thus we have the world we see today.
dan751
sketteksalfa wrote:
Are there any followers of Camping here? What did you do before the said end of the world and how did you feel that it didnt happened.

Now Camping said that the destruction is Oct 21 instead, would you still believe him.

I don't believe him. He's been wrong before. EVERY time someone has predicted the world, they've been wrong. And they're going to keep being wrong. No matter how scientifically accurate they may be. I believe there will be a destruction of the earth at some point. I don't believe that anyone will be able to predict it, including the science community. And I don't believe that Earth's destruction will be caused by human kind either.
Ankhanu
dan751 wrote:
I don't believe him. He's been wrong before. EVERY time someone has predicted the world, they've been wrong. And they're going to keep being wrong. No matter how scientifically accurate they may be. I believe there will be a destruction of the earth at some point. I don't believe that anyone will be able to predict it, including the science community. And I don't believe that Earth's destruction will be caused by human kind either.

I think we should be clear that none of these predictions have been based in science Razz They've used the language of math, yes, but not science.
dan751
Ankhanu wrote:
I think we should be clear that none of these predictions have been based in science Razz They've used the language of math, yes, but not science.

My apologies, math. Wink
deanhills
dan751 wrote:
sketteksalfa wrote:

I'd be curious to hear your views on the last book of the Bible - Revelations. I've given up trying to read it as my eyes keep crossing and it's probably the darkest kind of reading one can imagine. People seem to be able to make all kinds of interpretations from it. I can't help but think that chapter was written by human beings trying to put the fear of "hell" in other humans in order to control them. That none of it is really true and that interpretations from the Book of Revelation are hence not dissimilar from the ones that have been discussed in this thread.
Bikerman
Most scholars agree that it was written on the Island of Patmos by someone known as John around 90-95CE.
Modern thought is that it should be seen as a poetic/literary work rather than some predictory/historical thesis.
deanhills
I was more interested in what Dan's impressions were than how Revelations came to be written or how it is being interpreted in general. Anyways, looks as though Dan's been called away and I'll miss his posts. His posts were like a breath of fresh air and for the first time in a long while I was actually excited to go have a peek in the Faith and Phil&Rel Forums.
Very Happy
bukaida
Oh no! Not another END OF DAY type hoax. I think we had enough of these already. Very Happy
deanhills
Right, perhaps another thread that needs to be locked. We've survived 21 June as well. Wonder when the next "dead"line is supposed to be? 21 December 2012? Twisted Evil
Bikerman
==Locked==
If anyone wants this unlocked then you can pm me or one of the other mods, but I think you could better use your time reading a science book...