FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost chess tournament

truespeed
I haven't played chess for years,but played it recently on Chrome browser,playing it gave me the idea of a frihost chess tournament.

How it works.

Edit: New Link. http://bikerman.co.uk/phpchess

We would need at least 8 people to enter i would suggest,but 16 would be better.

All those entering would have their names drawn out randomly into ties by an appointed person.

The two people chosen to play against each other would arange via pm when to play their game,it would be a one off game,no best of three.

The winners of all the first round ties would then be drawn for the next round and so on to the final,where the two competing players play in a best of 3 to decide the winner of the tournament.

I was thinking of a toll to enter,but this would limit the number of players as not everyone has coins,so maybe it could be made into an official contest and Bondings could offer a coins prize to the winner.

Good idea? bad idea? ways to improve?

Edit: I have changed the link to avoid further confusion.
ocalhoun
Perhaps it could be integrated into the existing frihost contests?

It would be a nice change of pace from essay-based contests.

(OR... There have been hints from time to time that frihost games will be added, where you could win or lose frih$ and/or coins... A PVP chess game would be an excellent addition to such a selection of games... and not too difficult to program either.)
deanhills
Why can't we do it simply for the fun of it? I've just checked out the Yahoo link, and if someone could code it, it could be a fun Sub-forum. I have not played chess in ages, wonder whether I'd still be able to? Twisted Evil
saratdear
Off topic, but the mention of a tournament brought back some memories. Does anyone remember Frihost having a tournament style game somewhere in the past? It was quite sometime ago - near when I joined, almost 5 years ago.
Navigator
It could boost attendance to the forum, but how about other Yahoo! Games like pool or checkers?
Bikerman
If people want chess then that is easy to accomodate. There is a product called phpChess which is a ready-to-go open source chess server (I wouldn't recommend it here if it was a commercial product). I installed it on one of my servers to test and it seems to work fine:
http://bikerman.co.uk/phpchess
Using this it would be possible to setup a tournament just for members here.....
truespeed
^^^

I have joined (Easier than everyone signing up for yahoo) ,if we can get a few more we can get a tournament going. Smile
sonam
I have joined too but still didn't get mail. Sad

Edit: It's coming. Very Happy

Sonam
adri
I'm in guys. Very Happy I like chess, although I haven't played in a long time. Confused

adri
Bikerman
Currently playing truespeed on my server Smile
truespeed
Quote:
Player Status

Wins: 0
Loss: 1
Draws: 0

I think you can guess who won. Smile
Bikerman
It was a good game - pretty even methinks..
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Quote:
Player Status

Wins: 0
Loss: 1
Draws: 0

I think you can guess who won. Smile
Had to have been you! Twisted Evil
sonam
I got error everywhere where is links??? What happens?

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:

Sonam
I also tried and have Firewall issues. I will try again later.
sonam
deanhills wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Yes, but first entry and registration was OK. When I come back next day I got errors. Sad

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
deanhills wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Yes, but first entry and registration was OK. When I come back next day I got errors. Sad

Sonam
Try and clear your browsing history and see if that helps.
sonam
Now is everything OK without my intervention. Smile but I didn't find way to upload my avatar.

Sonam
Bikerman
Sorry for the delay - been busy.
Once you logon you can upload your avatar
Click on Player Home (if not already there)
Click on My Settings
Select 'Manage Avatar' from the menu
Your avatar needs to be 100x100 so you might have to resize it. You should be able to upload it ok from there.

To play simply select another player, click on their name and create a game. This issues a challenge to them which they can accept or not. You will then find an icon and game description beneath the 'Server Messages' on the main page. Click on this and you are taken to the game.
You need to refresh to see your opponents move.
There are various settings in the 'My Settings' & 'Configuration' panels which you can play around with.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
You need to refresh to see your opponents move.
I did not need to refresh ... I had no problems with seeing the moves ...., so maybe that is not applicable in all cases. I had Firewall problems at work (probably for good reason), but at home it went very smoothly. The game just took a long time though. But was a great experience, looks as though I can still play the game. While I was playing there were many invites to join others so I guess one can always find a partner to play with around the clock.
Bikerman
I think you are talking about something different. I am talking about the chess system on my server that sonam, saratdear, adri and truespeed are signed onto. You are, I think, talking about yahoo chess.
Asap170
This be pretty cool, but I can't stand Yahoo. So yea. Maybe we as in me and some friends can build one and give the source to Mr. Bondings and he can integrate the user MySQL table. So that way we don't need to register.
saratdear
What about the Java chess platform Bikerman? Can't we play under that? Then perhaps we wouldn't need to refresh...
Bikerman
Saratdear,
I don't think so - I think that the Java option is a user against computer option - basically it lets you play solo against the computer. Bear in mind that I'm no expert - I saw this on the web and thought I'd install it and give it a whirl..The documentation is pretty sparse...

PS - If you are on a PC platform, you have the option of downloading phpChess for PC (free) which will allow you to use the server but also allows 3-D, solo play and, presumably, instantly updates moves. I haven't got it installed here (currently at work and don't have admin rights here) but you can download it and try it out if you like....
link http://www.phpchess.com/phpchess_for_pc.html
Bikerman
Asap170 wrote:
This be pretty cool, but I can't stand Yahoo. So yea. Maybe we as in me and some friends can build one and give the source to Mr. Bondings and he can integrate the user MySQL table. So that way we don't need to register.
Ambitious - developing a chess game is not for the faint-hearted. I certainly wouldn't try, unless there was a big payoff and plenty of development time. If you want to develop your own chess server then I'd suggest talking to the chaps who developed the phpChess that I'm running. They may even let you have some of the source code..
http://www.phpchess.com/
sonam
@Bikerman
Maybe you can put meta tag refresh every 30 second in head of page. I can look around some other solution but first I must find time.

Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">

I am find avatar upload form but when I try to upload I got error (something like) "Only jpg, png and gif format". My avatar is jpg and in right format??? But this is not very important.

Sonam
Bikerman
Sonam,
try converting it to gif - I uploaded mine as gif with no problem. Also, make sure it is exactly 100x100 pixels.

I could add the refresh tag, but I can't do it from here at work (no access to ftp, sftp or ssl) so it will have to wait until I get home later today.
sonam
Bikerman wrote:
Sonam,
try converting it to gif - I uploaded mine as gif with no problem. Also, make sure it is exactly 100x100 pixels.

I could add the refresh tag, but I can't do it from here at work (no access to ftp, sftp or ssl) so it will have to wait until I get home later today.

Got it avatar with gif. Smile

Sonam
saratdear
Bikerman wrote:
Saratdear,
I don't think so - I think that the Java option is a user against computer option - basically it lets you play solo against the computer. Bear in mind that I'm no expert - I saw this on the web and thought I'd install it and give it a whirl..The documentation is pretty sparse...

Yep, I remember playing against the computer. Gave up when I started losing. Smile

Will give that PC version a try sometime later.
Asap170
Bikerman wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
Ambitious - developing a chess game is not for the faint-hearted. I certainly wouldn't try, unless there was a big payoff and plenty of development time. If you want to develop your own chess server then I'd suggest talking to the chaps who developed the phpChess that I'm running. They may even let you have some of the source code..
http://www.phpchess.com/

Eh I got no life lol I have a bunch of time on my hands.
Bikerman
You'll need it. Developing a chess server is a pretty major undertaking. I presume you would write it in PHP?

Here's a start for you - black and white pieces in pgn format
http://bikerman.co.uk/pieces.zip
Asap170
Either PHP or Java

Thanks for those images. Are they royalty free though? Cause I don't want to get sued.
Bikerman
Asap170 wrote:
Either PHP or Java

Thanks for those images. Are they royalty free though? Cause I don't want to get sued.

Yes, they come from an opensource project - no worries.
Asap170
Bikerman wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
Either PHP or Java

Yes, they come from an opensource project - no worries.

Okay good.

Well I going to get started on it. If there is anyone that wants to help out send me a PM please.
Bikerman
Playing Adri at the moment. Good game, very close. I suspect I just about have the upper hand, but it isn't over yet Smile
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
I think you are talking about something different. I am talking about the chess system on my server that sonam, saratdear, adri and truespeed are signed onto. You are, I think, talking about yahoo chess.
Exactly. I went with the original link of the OP that Truespeed supplied. I notice that he has now replaced that link with one to your server. The Yahoo one is a good one though. Works well. Hope I can find it again.
truespeed
There is an excellent chess application that you can add to google chrome,also the windows built in chess game is good,its not the same as playing real people,but its a good way to practise.

deanhills wrote:
Works well. Hope I can find it again.

Dean just type in yahoo and chess into a search engine and it will take you to it.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Dean just type in yahoo and chess into a search engine and it will take you to it.
Thanks Truespeed. Now why had I not thought of that idea myself .... d'oh!
truespeed
We still need more to join to get a tournament going,so if you can play chess,even on a basic level,sign up,you don't even need to be at your pc to play the full game as the time span for a game is a week,so its something you can dip in and out of.
truespeed
Bikerman your chess site is in Russian?
Bikerman
truespeed wrote:
Bikerman your chess site is in Russian?

Oops, sorry, installed some language pack and forgot to reset default. Is it OK now?
truespeed
Still mostly russian,with errors now in the navigation.

Bikerman
try now.
truespeed
Works fine now. Smile
truespeed
Bump to get more members.

http://bikerman.co.uk/phpchess
Bikerman
Sorry about that Peterssdan - I was feeling a bit aggressive and you made a mistake in the opening which took it straight into a line I've rehearsed...after move 7 it was sort-of inevitable Smile
Peterssidan
I think it's hard to see exactly what I did wrong. Shouldn't I have attacked your pawn when you attacked?
Bikerman
Exactly. That was the mistake - attacking by moving pawn 2 left the hole for the bishop to check.
truespeed
Bikerman beat me again,with a queen sacrifice too,i fell right into the trap.
Bikerman
Smile I did warn you Smile
Ghost Rider103
I haven't got a clue how to play chess otherwise I would join you guys.

Anyways, hope you guys are enjoying playing chess.

Hopefully one day bindings will release the Frihost games.
loremar
truespeed wrote:
Bikerman beat me again,with a queen sacrifice too,i fell right into the trap.

The guy should be called Batman. Always ten steps ahead of you. He's got some killer judo moves as well. Cramps your legs, breaks your bawn structure, controls open files, decapitates your queen, and so on so forth. Veteran as they say.

How to stand twelve rounds with Bikerman(We know we can't put up with Bikerman without getting knocked out).
1. Gather your officials and cover your king.
2. Hide your queen.
3. Let him do whatever he wants. We already know how the game will end. Wink
Bikerman
LOL....I used to play quite a bit, but I don't play very often nowadays.....it is slowly coming back to me Smile
Ankhanu
Just a tip, if it's been a while since you played; the pointy crown is the queen, not the king!

Plan accordingly.
Bikerman
I'll try to remember that Smile
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
Just a tip, if it's been a while since you played; the pointy crown is the queen, not the king!

Plan accordingly.

^.^
Are we speaking from experience there?
Ankhanu
Yeah Wink I played loremar with the misconception, which really changed the dynamic at the end of the game.
loremar
I always use queen and king's gambit as my reference. A sacrificial pawn on the queenside means left, on the kingside means right.

But you can always google when you're in doubt.
Josso
Can anyone suggest a really noob AI so I can get back into practice? I don't think I've ever won chess against a computer..
Ankhanu
Play with us... screw AI Razz
Josso
I registered yesterday, going to have a crack at it at some point. Don't expect a quick response though lol (are they timed?)

EDIT: lol talking of getting kind/queen confusing I've got some "kingsize slim" rolling papers who seen to have put a queen logo on it. Queensize...
Ankhanu
Josso wrote:
I registered yesterday, going to have a crack at it at some point. Don't expect a quick response though lol (are they timed?)

8 days per move, so, lots of time Razz
Josso
Ankhanu wrote:
Josso wrote:

8 days per move, so, lots of time Razz

Ahhh that's what I like to hear, even so still probably won't have a chance but I'm always up for a challenge Smile
Bikerman
You can choose the time when you create the game. You can create a 'normal' game - 8 days per move, ot you can create a time-control game (2 time controls - say 20 moves in 40 mins and 40 moves in 120 mins, or whatever), or you can create a 'live' game - in which case both players must click on the 'play live' banner in the game and will then be playing in real time.
Josso
Bikerman wrote:
You can choose the time when you create the game. You can create a 'normal' game - 8 days per move, ot you can create a time-control game (2 time controls - say 20 moves in 40 mins and 40 moves in 120 mins, or whatever), or you can create a 'live' game - in which case both players must click on the 'play live' banner in the game and will then be playing in real time.

What are all these snail, blitz etc options
watersoul
I just registered on the site so if I'm cleared for membership of the Frih club then I look forward to a game or two.
It will be interesting to see the different styles of play compared to my mates, and also how good or crap at the game I really am Shocked
Ankhanu
I'm pretty crap, but I like to play Wink Once I'm done with bikerman (or bikerman is done with me, rather), I'll offer ya a challenge Wink
watersoul
[picks up gauntlet]

Good one, look forward to a game... where I shall prove to be less of a challenge than Bikerman probably is Wink
Josso
Yeah I'm scared to challenge bikerman
Bikerman
I'm not THAT good....I've had my butt kicked on many an occasion.
truespeed
Theres more frih members currently online in chess than there is on the forums.
Peterssidan
I think you stay logged in much longer in phpchess so it's not a fair comparison.
truespeed
Just played and got beat by loremar,i made mistakes but he played better than me to capitalize on them.
ocalhoun
Hmm... it has been a long time since I played any chess... but maybe I'll give it a go.
Peterssidan
The chess is down Sad
Bikerman
should be back up now
ocalhoun
It would be really cool if the 'move notification' email had a link that went directly to the game where a move needed to be made, rather than to the homepage...

I don't know how easy/difficult that would be to arrange though.
Josso
ocalhoun wrote:
It would be really cool if the 'move notification' email had a link that went directly to the game where a move needed to be made, rather than to the homepage...

I don't know how easy/difficult that would be to arrange though.

This.

Also:
Code:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 't even...', p_favouritechessplayer='Spock' WHERE p_playerid=14' at line 1

I don't think the php likes ,'s or .'s
ocalhoun
Can't figure out the requirements for the avatar...
Everything I try just comes back with 'images must be .jpg or .gif format'... even when I am using .jpg format.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
Everything I try just comes back with 'images must be .jpg or .gif format'... even when I am using .jpg format.

I converted my jpg to gif and it uploaded.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I converted my jpg to gif and it uploaded.

Ah, so maybe when it says 'must be jpg or gif' it really means 'must be gif'...
truespeed
So far we have 14 members,we need two more to have a knockout tournament.
loremar
Love to see deanhills and Nameless join the club. I wonder if they know how to play.
watersoul
I'm playing 3 games now, enjoying the site Bikerman, nice one for hosting it.
Gonna let me into the Frihost club though? I'm still getting:
bikerman.co.uk/phpchess wrote:
Your membership is pending, please wait for the club leader to accept it.

What's the rules on the door fella? Dress to impress? Smart casual? Black tie? No trainers or hoods? ...extra twenty quid in the bouncers hand? Razz
Josso
Ankhanu wrote:
Ah, so maybe when it says 'must be jpg or gif' it really means 'must be gif'...

I believe so. You only get specific error messages when you try and do certain things I think - it's got to be EXACTLY 100x100 as well? It frustrated me for a good 15 minutes that avatar upload thing. Also my security keeps getting into a tantrum about "DENet DK" done no research but I assume it's all good and a result of super large/sensitive filters/lists.

Quote:
What's the rules on the door fella? Dress to impress? Smart casual? Black tie? No trainers or hoods? ...extra twenty quid in the bouncers hand?

You have to be at least a third degree mason.

(still pending as well)
watersoul
Josso wrote:
Quote:
What's the rules on the door fella? Dress to impress? Smart casual? Black tie? No trainers or hoods? ...extra twenty quid in the bouncers hand?

You have to be at least a third degree mason.

I was using a hammer drill with a masonry bit today, does that count? Laughing
ocalhoun
*gets bored waiting for Josso to make the next move*

CHALLENGE ALL THE PLAYERS!
watersoul
[casually retrieving the gauntlet from the floor]

Challenge accepted Razz
Peterssidan
I agree Josso is slow Razz Looking forward to play against you ocalhoun Very Happy
truespeed
I have been playing josso for a week,i have only made about 6 moves.
Ankhanu
My game against Adri timed out! Yikes!
ocalhoun
Sorry guy... That's just embarrassing...

...Can't help being a little proud though... That's the fastest I've ever won a game. ^.^
loremar
Can't say I didn't saw that one coming.
Peterssidan
Yes that was a quick one. If we play again I'm sure it will take much longer time.

I'm a bit unsure how the ranking works. What is written in the FAQ doesn't seem to be true.
Quote:
How are the scores calculated?
Your Chess4Me rating is calculated based on the following criteria:
•For every loss you have sustained, you lose 5 points.
•For every win, you gain 10 points.
•Draws don't punish or reward points.

If this is how it works, how can people have a score that is not a multiple of five?
loremar
Just took down ocalhoun and lost a queen to truespeed. I'm not sure what I should feel. Very Happy Sad

EDIT: Wow Surprised for some supernatural reason, truespeed gave up his queen.
truespeed
Silly error on my part,i had the game won too,looks like i am going to lose it now. Smile
truespeed
Still waiting on two more to join to get a tournament going,more if possible as theres a couple of names on the list i don't recognize.
ocalhoun
loremar wrote:
Just took down ocalhoun

How'd that happen anyway?

When I left, I didn't think I was in danger of a one-move checkmate...
And I can't figure out how to view an ended game.
Heck, I would have never known the game was over if I hadn't seen that my losses increased by 1.

...It seems like there should be some way to do it, but I just can't find the game.
-- I wish the 'my games' list listed all the games I was participating in, including the ones where I was waiting on the other player's move and the ones that have already ended...
Peterssidan
ocalhoun wrote:
I can't figure out how to view an ended game.

In My Games press the Search button and you will see a list of all your games.
truespeed
Or just click on your name on the index and it has View current games and view past games.
Josso
ocalhoun wrote:
*gets bored waiting for Josso to make the next move*

CHALLENGE ALL THE PLAYERS!

LOL thats what happened to me now I can't remember which one is which.

I swear I'm going to fail at all of these games.
sonam
What happened with frihost chess. I was try to open page last two days but without result. Is there any server problem?

Sonam
watersoul
sonam wrote:
What happened with frihost chess. I was try to open page last two days but without result. Is there any server problem?

Sonam

Same for me, and bikerman has been missing
from the forums for a while, hope he hasn't
deleted the chess section from his web space?
sonam
watersoul wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Same for me, and bikerman has been missing
from the forums for a while, hope he hasn't
deleted the chess section from his web space?

I think some moderators are not present here. Sad I am playing with ocalhoun and he is not here for some time, too.

Sonam
truespeed
The chess is back up,i think it was a server problem as the rest of his site was also down for a few days.
sonam
Yes it is back up but still is slow. Hope this will gone in time. BTW truespeed you are my next opponent after ocalhoun. Wink

Sonam
Josso
Yay back up, I had some timeouts even though I still moved? (hopefully not closed). Next time all my games have 1 month timers just in case something happens like for example xmas.
truespeed
sonam wrote:
Yes it is back up but still is slow. Hope this will gone in time. BTW truespeed you are my next opponent after ocalhoun. Wink

Sonam

You should just start and play a few games at the same time,that way your not waiting days/weeks for one opponent to make a move.
sonam
truespeed wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

You should just start and play a few games at the same time,that way your not waiting days/weeks for one opponent to make a move.

Yeah, you are right. I will accept your request today. Wink

EDIT:
Accepted, you are white, first move is yours. Think

Sonam
sonam
<ocalhoun> aw... it's getting ugly now

Yeah, thanks for nice game. I would like to chat there but I didn't know how is not at possible to chat when game is over. Lucky, we have frihost and this thread.

Sonam
Peterssidan
Yay, I got a pawn promoted to a queen! Very Happy
ocalhoun
sonam wrote:

Yeah, thanks for nice game. I would like to chat there but I didn't know how is not at possible to chat when game is over. Lucky, we have frihost and this thread.

Sonam

Yeah, you really surprised me with that one... I saw it getting ugly, but I didn't see that!
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Yeah, you really surprised me with that one... I saw it getting ugly, but I didn't see that!

I was think you are calculate checkmate in few moves (two-three moves if I good calculate) and you just want to stop agony and remove all troubles from my way.

Sonam
ocalhoun
sonam wrote:

I was think you are calculate checkmate in few moves (two-three moves if I good calculate) and you just want to stop agony and remove all troubles from my way.

Sonam

Nope... too focused on offense.
I was moving my queen into position to finally break through the defenses around your king, but in doing so, I didn't notice the hole it opened in my defense.
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
sonam wrote:

Sonam

Nope... too focused on offense.
I was moving my queen into position to finally break through the defenses around your king, but in doing so, I didn't notice the hole it opened in my defense.

Then, lucky me. Smile

Today I got error when I would like to open frihost chess. Error:
This webpage has a redirect loop

Did other members get same error or only I have it?

Sonam
loremar
Yeah I have a problem too I can't log in.
truespeed
Still can't login,its shows me as online when i login but it doesn't take me to the user homepage.
andro_king
is this competition still alive..? can i join..?
ocalhoun
andro_king wrote:

You could join if it was working, but the chess game server appears to still be broken.
Peterssidan
ocalhoun wrote:
andro_king wrote:

You could join if it was working, but the chess game server appears to still be broken.

Is it broken? I'm logged in now. Only playing against Josso at the moment but that game will soon time out. Only 4 days left.

By the way. What is Take on Bikerman found at Tournament Games List, under Active/Accepted Tournaments V2? Is it a tournament? Can I sign up? When I click on it I get an empty green page.
Josso
*bump*

Sorry guys I went away so I'm sure a lot of games expired at that time. I've launched a phpchess install as well! No difference to bikerman's yet but I will be making some mods as I don't like the default phpchess install too much. Er, register if you want I suppose! Only advantage is playing slightly less good people but yeah would appreciate if people register. Need some alright people to motivate all these noobs over here.

www.josso.co.uk/chess
truespeed
It is a shame we never got this off the ground,it would of only taken 16 members to agree to it to get it under way.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
It is a shame we never got this off the ground,it would of only taken 16 members to agree to it to get it under way.

Curious... why set the limit at 16?

I had a fine tournament on my site with 8 players. ^.^

(I won, naturally!)
truespeed
We could of done 8 in retrospect,i just thought 16 would give us more rounds and considering the size of the userbase on frihost i thought it a realistic target.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
We could of done 8 in retrospect,i just thought 16 would give us more rounds and considering the size of the userbase on frihost i thought it a realistic target.

I did mine as just an open sign up, however many people registered would be how many people were in the tournament... Just got lucky that the number participants happened to be a power of 2, otherwise we would have had to played an uneven round, where not everyone participates.

(Say, if we had 10 participants, the first round would be only 2 games, to eliminate two players and get it so that the next rounds could all have full participation.)
codegeek
Woah, woah, woah! Hold your horses. There's a chess tournament at frihost. Am I too late? In that case, could we have another please?
ocalhoun
codegeek wrote:
Woah, woah, woah! Hold your horses. There's a chess tournament at frihost. Am I too late? In that case, could we have another please?

Go right ahead!

(A new thread would probably be best)

If you need a server, I've still got one running:
http://www.bronyville.org/chess/