FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Site footer still says " 2005-2010"

jmlworld
I recently noticed that the forum footer still shows

Quote:
2005-2010

...as the copyright year while we're deep in 2011. The problem is that it's easy to forget to update the copyright notice in the site footer.

However there's an easy fix which needs a little snippet which updates itself yearly.

Code:

<?php

// print the copyright year, starts from established year to the current year.
     echo "&copy; 2005-" . date('Y');

?>

That's it Wink
Hogwarts
I'd personally say it shouldn't even be there, and this is useless bloat on the site.

Unless you'd like to explain what purpose such a copyright notice serves? Wink
ocalhoun
Hogwarts wrote:

Unless you'd like to explain what purpose such a copyright notice serves? Wink

Quote:

First copyright law tells the public that the work is protected by copyright law. Without notice, someone interested in using the work mightmistakenly think that it is available for use without permission.

2. It helps identify the owner of copyright, which is handy if anyone needs to contact them in relation to work.

3. It provides the year of publication, which may be important in determining the duration of copyright.

Fourth Copyright difficult for the offender to argue that they did not know the work is protected by copyright. If notice is not present, you can use this offender conclusion in court and potentially exempt from charges.

5. Notices may act as a deterrent for someone to infringe on the job. If a person who knows the job is secured, may be less likely to use it.

6. It's easier for someone to contact to obtain permission to use your work when the copyright notice is present.

In Frihost's case, the 'work' is mainly the design of the website.

To simplify it more, though, is it really necessary to say 'copyright Frihost 2005-2011' rather than simply 'copyright Frihost 2005'? If simplified that way, it wouldn't require manual updates or scripts.
jmlworld
ocalhoun wrote:
To simplify it more, though, is it really necessary to say 'copyright Frihost 2005-2011' rather than simply 'copyright Frihost 2005'? If simplified that way, it wouldn't require manual updates or scripts.

So how would you do it without manual updates or scripts?
Hogwarts
jmlworld wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
simply 'copyright Frihost 2005'? If simplified that way, it wouldn't require manual updates or scripts.

He just said that you need neither, you understand?

Quote:
4. Copyright difficult for the offender to argue that they did not know the work is protected by copyright. If notice is not present, you can use this offender conclusion in court and potentially exempt from charges.

That's the only one you mentioned Ocalhoun that's at all relevant, and even then, I very strongly doubt it would hold up in court.
deanhills
Hogwarts. I'd be interested to know why Frihost would need a Copyright footer? Exactly what is in its design, that is not in the design of other discussions forums? I would say the only things that would really really be valuable (the little I know about IT) would be the coding of some of the special features by Bondings, and I'm almost certain Bondings would be careful to protect those so that no one would have access to them anyway, copyright or no copyright.
sonam
This issue can solve this simple php.

Code:
<?php
date_default_timezone_set('Europe/Paris');
$this_year= date("Y");
$footer = "&copy; 2005-$this_year Frihost";
echo $footer;
?>

Sonam
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
Hogwarts. I'd be interested to know why Frihost would need a Copyright footer? Exactly what is in its design, that is not in the design of other discussions forums?

This is what I've been asking. The thing's useless.

sonam wrote:

Clearly you didn't read the first post.
sonam
Hogwarts wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Hogwarts. I'd be interested to know why Frihost would need a Copyright footer? Exactly what is in its design, that is not in the design of other discussions forums?

This is what I've been asking. The thing's useless.

sonam wrote:

Clearly you didn't read the first post.

Aaaaaaaaaaah, I read this thread yesterday and haven't time to reply. Today I just reply without reading again, sorry. Embarassed

Sonam
Ankhanu
IIRC, there have been cases of the content of messageboard posts being subject to copyright by the author, and the subject has come up in court. It's been a while since I've seen reference to this, however, and I forget exactly how the ruling went down (but I think it was in favour of the validity of the copyright).
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
I'd be interested to know why Frihost would need a Copyright footer?

Do you mean someone could setup a make-money blog and could copy the whole content in the Faith forum without being worried about copyright infringement?

deanhills wrote:
Exactly what is in its design, that is not in the design of other discussions forums?

The general feel, forum naming order, uniqueness of user ranking buttons and system, the coins, Frih$, points and of course, Bonding's general philosophy.

Hogwarts wrote:

jmlworld wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

simply 'copyright Frihost 2005'? If simplified that way, it wouldn't require manual updates or scripts.

He just said that you need neither, you understand?

Ah, I see. But leaving the copyright year as " 2005 - Frihost" is beyond the common sense. It's like saying that the content of 2005 is the only copyrighted material and the rest is public domain.
Hogwarts
You do understand the nature of copyright, jmlworld, yes?

If I make a website that has an article about how I loathe copyright messages, but doesn't say that the article is copyright, you do understand that it's protected by copyright law in the exact same way regardless, right?

Something is only in the public domain if the author says so. Understand that all works are, by default, copyrighted. They do not need to say they are copyrighted to be copyrighted.
ocalhoun
Hogwarts wrote:

Something is only in the public domain if the author says so. Understand that all works are, by default, copyrighted. They do not need to say they are copyrighted to be copyrighted.

Until you get a copyright infringer with a very good lawyer.

That's when things like, 'but he didn't know it was copyrighted material' and, 'but the copyright says only 2005, which implies that material added after 2005 is not copyrighted' start happening.

Oh, and about that last, yeah, now that I think about it, putting only 2005 on it might actually be construed to mean that post-2005 material is not copyrighted. Perhaps 2005-Current would be better.
jmlworld
Hogwarts wrote:

So you are telling me that book publishers and movie makers should never write the copyright notice on their works since the work is already copyrighted by default.

Isn't it a waste of space to clarify to copyright on the work since it's unneeded as you suggested?

ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, and about that last, yeah, now that I think about it, putting only 2005 on it might actually be construed to mean that post-2005 material is not copyrighted. Perhaps 2005-Current would be better.

I would prefer "(c) 2005 - [current] Frihost" or "(c) Frihost".
catscratches
jmlworld wrote:
So you are telling me that book publishers and movie makers should never write the copyright notice on their works since the work is already copyrighted by default.
They don't have to, no. However, since most people don't seem to understand just how copyright works, it's necessary or else people would think it's ok to share it however they please.
Bondings
I'll update it when I edit the file. By the way, you normally only add a copyright year when you edit the files - although for dynamic content it's not always as clear.
Ghost Rider103
Next time you update the file, please do " 2005 - 6783" or something similar.

Then perhaps we won't have any members worrying about our copyright for over a few thousand years. Laughing
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Then perhaps we won't have any members worrying about our copyright for over a few thousand years. Laughing
Now that's a positive mental attitude .... getting to 6783. I personally think the most practical thing is to remove the copyright reference entirely. Then there won't be any need for updating it. Alternatively to just put Copyright, and then link Copyright to a page that explains what Frihost's Copyright policy is, in a way that it does not need to be updated unless Bondings wishes to add to the page.

PS: Great to have you back. Have been wondering what has become of you? Very Happy
Helios
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Woah, an optimist! 2005-2012, and that's it Laughing
About the copyright notice - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a requirement in some countries?
I'm not sure whether FriHost.com should have one (since it's hosted in the USA?),
but what if we're talking about a country where it's required to put a notice for the work to be protected by copyright?
deanhills
Helios wrote:
but what if we're talking about a country where it's required to put a notice for the work to be protected by copyright?
That would be interesting to know, however exactly what is there at Frihost that is so unique that it can't be copied anywhere? I'd have thought the most unique portions would be the coding, but then I'm sure the coding would be done in a way that no one could copy it. So technically there is nothing to worry about?
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Except for the ones helpfully pointing out that the year 6783 hasn't even arrived yet. ^.^
SC__Programmer
just put the CopyRight as

Code:

2005-End Of The World

That would solve all problems and indicate that Frihost will last until the end of the world Very Happy
I would put Infinity but when the world ends there wont be internet Wink
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Now that's a positive mental attitude .... getting to 6783. I personally think the most practical thing is to remove the copyright reference entirely. Then there won't be any need for updating it. Alternatively to just put Copyright, and then link Copyright to a page that explains what Frihost's Copyright policy is, in a way that it does not need to be updated unless Bondings wishes to add to the page.

PS: Great to have you back. Have been wondering what has become of you? Very Happy

The idea came from one of my clients actually. I had a photographer request to set his copyright to a random date a few thousand years away. Laughing

I've been quite busy with work lately. I'm still around on the forums daily but I don't find much time to post. But I'm missing posting on a daily basis so I'm trying to balance it all out. Smile
jmlworld
catscratches wrote:
jmlworld wrote:
They don't have to, no. However, since most people don't seem to understand just how copyright works, it's necessary or else people would think it's ok to share it however they please.

You're right. I was recently reading an article published on Smashing Magazine with the title "Understanding Copyright And Licenses" and what I realized is that all works are intellectual property under the all rights reserved statement by default, and should the copyright holder decide to release his works under other license (i.e. Creative Commons, MIT or GPL) they should state that in their works.