FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New apartment! :)

IceCreamTruck
Ugh, I have wanted to get to frihost and see what's up, and even now I'm posting from work, but I am moving and it's taken most of my time lately to get it done. It should be completed this weekend, and I will get some down time to play around on frihost again!

Wish me luck! Oh, and my new apartment is pretty much right next to my work, so I am gaining about an hour every day in drive time... oh yeah! that's exciting.

I will ask the question: How far do you drive to work? My boss drives 1.5 hours one-way to work. He spends almost 3 hours every day in the car, and I have no idea how he does it. There is no appeal in that for me, and I would move, or get another job. You can't pay me enough to spend that much time in a car any more. I can take trips, but a daily trip like that is hell to me.

PS. I miss you guys!
loyal
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Wish me luck! Oh, and my new apartment is pretty much right next to my work, so I am gaining about an hour every day in drive time... oh yeah! that's exciting.

What are you going to do with your exta hour?

Quote:

I will ask the question: How far do you drive to work? My boss drives 1.5 hours one-way to work. He spends almost 3 hours every day in the car, and I have no idea how he does it. There is no appeal in that for me, and I would move, or get another job. You can't pay me enough to spend that much time in a car any more. I can take trips, but a daily trip like that is hell to me.

I used to commute to university and I hated it. I had to wake up early, wait for the train that was often late, and sit on the uncomfortable seats. I think it's boring to travel.

Quote:

PS. I miss you guys!

Who are you again Razz Very Happy ?

Peace.
deanhills
Ahaaa .... that is what you've been up to. Is it a nice place? Do you like it? I can well believe the commute must be a great saving to you, not only in time but in cost of petrol and wear and tear of your car. I live very close to work as well. Approximately 15 minutes walk and 5 minutes driving. I've been living where I am since 2007 and was forced to move from a downtown area. I was very happy there but regretfully the lease of my flat could not be renewed. I'd say I prefer living downtown as I liked the energy there. Where I am it is very quiet and basically dead after 10:00 p.m. I guess that is Frihost's gain as previously I used to walk the streets late at night. There had been just something very liberating with doing that. Where I am there are no streetlights and well, just is not the kind of place where you walk late at night in 100% darkness.

Before 2007 I used to travel half an hour to work and home. I enjoyed the travel as it felt as though I was really going "home" after work. Now it feels as though I'm living at work, but I guess one adjusts after a while. I can't believe people commuting to work for an hour. Half an hour as I had done before would be just enough for me. Going over half an hour would be too much. At the time when I was commuting, taxis were really cheap and it was great to be travelling without having to drive, almost became like a meditation of sorts. I really miss that!

Happy house warming. Is the rent higher than before? What are the neighbours like? Twisted Evil
jmlworld
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I can't imagine how depressed I would feel if I had to travel that long for a job in daily basis. I've been in Dubai few years ago and I used to drive about 20 minutes to my work place. Currently I'm in another country and I work as a freelancer, sometimes I drive across towns to finalize a client contract but its once or twice every 2 months and I really enjoy it.

Good luck for your job and your new apartment though.
IceCreamTruck
You guys are really nice! It's no wonder I like you all so much! Smile

The apartment is going to be a good deal cheaper, so I'm happy about that. I'm also splitting with a guy who's agreed that we should "boot-camp" ourselves in order to make the jump to the next stag of our lives faster. We both agreed we don't want to wait to live the good life when we retire... if we retire. We're now going to be living WELL within our means, and in a rather small space under normal human standards, but me and him used to have a broom closet of an apartment together. Granted, we've grown up some since then, but this apartment isn't exactly as small as the other one we had a while back, and location, location, location! There are 0 traffic lights between me and my office! Smile That means the drive that should take 10-15 minutes, which actually takes 20-30 minutes every day is OVER! I won't go back to that BS again.

Here in the states they organize traffic to try and boost local business. What it means is that, by design, you have to stop at almost every traffic light, and the purpose is to make you look at the businesses around you. I hate it!! I think it wastes money, time, pollutes, and doesn't increase economy as much as they suggest. I surmise that speeding everyone up would cause them to spend less time, less on gas, help save nature, and more on products at local businesses. Honestly, it feels like the plan we haven't tried. My temp solution is getting off the road.

Again, you guys are great! Thanks for the responses.
Helios
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Ugh, I have wanted to get to frihost and see what's up, and even now I'm posting from work, but I am moving and it's taken most of my time lately to get it done. It should be completed this weekend, and I will get some down time to play around on frihost again!

PS. I miss you guys!

First of all... pictures!!!
Great that's you're moving, I hope the new neighbourhood will be all good for ya'.
Good to hear you're closer to work.

I'm 1.5h away from my work place which is in another city actually, and it sucks a lot... I wake up at 6AM every day to get to work at about 8AM, I also finish late usually (around 6-7PM) and return home after 8PM. I'm getting used to the travelling but I wish prices were good enough in the city where my job is to rent an apartment there. Huge renting problem here in Israel nowadays Sad
deanhills
Helios wrote:
I'm 1.5h away from my work place which is in another city actually, and it sucks a lot... I wake up at 6AM every day to get to work at about 8AM, I also finish late usually (around 6-7PM) and return home after 8PM. I'm getting used to the travelling but I wish prices were good enough in the city where my job is to rent an apartment there. Huge renting problem here in Israel nowadays Sad
Guess you need to go for Bondings' Frihouse or any of the other pavement housing ideas in the thread? Twisted Evil Anyway, travelling like that sucks badly. I don't know how you can do it. I just don't have the patience for it, especially when it is driving in dense traffic as well.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
Guess you need to go for Bondings' Frihouse or any of the other pavement housing ideas in the thread? Twisted Evil Anyway, travelling like that sucks badly. I don't know how you can do it. I just don't have the patience for it, especially when it is driving in dense traffic as well.

I agree with Deanhills, but it's not so much patients as the fact that I don't have the energy for that. Waking up at six every day to be there at eight, getting off at 6-7 only to have to drive home... that would drive me crazy and I think I'd die.

PS. I will supply pictures soon... but it's a mess right now! Smile
missdixy
I absolutely hate the idea of commuting. From my summer living place to my summer job it's usually an hour commute total (of a train, a bus and then walking) and I hated hated HATED that. I feel like so much of my life is wasted like that! The ideal commute for me would be less than twenty minutes Very Happy

Congratulations on your new apartment! What will you now do with the extra hour that you no longer have to spend driving?!?! Laughing
standready
I have had travel times of 10 minutes to 1.5 hours one way in my life. Did not like the long commute but you go where the available work is. Job searching now and looks like I might get stuck with a 2 hours commute (even worst sometimes given weather and idiots). I have a house so moving is not simple. If I do move, it will be far away from here.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I might get stuck with a 2 hours commute (even worst sometimes given weather and idiots). I have a house so moving is not simple. If I do move, it will be far away from here.
Is that one way? Shocked Hope not. And also hope you can get work a little closer to your home.
pll
I would be able to spend away 3 hours of drive time in a day if I live in somewhere I really like and if I love my job.

If I really can't compromise one or another I would do it for sure!!

(For me it would be if I could live in a forest far from anyone but near of a lake or a river, and I would work maybe on the road or at the desk in a city 1,5 hours away)... I could handle it but I'd need to really love my house and the place where I live.
GoldenEagle
My apartment is less than 4 miles from my work. I moved 120 miles to get close to my job.
Magicman
I have to drive about 45 minutes each way. I don't like being on the road for so long, especially since gas is so expensive. However, since it is an internship (and therefore only temporary) it's not worth moving or getting a place to stay any closer.