FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Objectives of any education

nanobid
Education for knowledge or job. What is the present scenario?
lyeandro2587
I think only few of the schools today are actually aiming for knowledge. I mean in my country, more and more school do have projects like "education to employment". Too bad quality knowledge is compromised.
nanobid
Now-a-days it is not so difficult to be a graduate level engineer and not even difficult to get a job in a private company. But most of the cases he/she faces problem there after joining there. Because they confess about the fact that their performance is not upto the mark and lack proper techncal knowledge. Most horrible thing is that they don't have any communication skill.
So we are all worried about the devaluation and degradation of education specially in engineering field.
LittleBlackKitten
The North American school system was designed to pump out nurses, factory workers, and army recruits for war times and wasn't intended for advanced education. The North American curriculum hasn't changed, either; it's just been updated. This is why there's a market for low-wage jobs and why minimum wage isn't a living wage.
GoldenEagle
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
The North American school system was designed to pump out nurses, factory workers, and army recruits for war times and wasn't intended for advanced education.

It may not have been designed for such education but I definitely wouldn't suggest that such an education is hard to get. If you work hard and remain focused on your goals you are sure to triumph.
deanhills
nanobid wrote:
I'd say it depends what you are talking about. If it is at school it is education, unless you are studying at a technical college and are in training for a profession while you are getting your basic education. Initially it is always first about education, then training for a job comes later. The German education system is much more focused on jobs, as they already get students to prepare themselves for a profession while they are at school.
Bikerman
And what is that view based on (about German schools?).
Firstly Germany has a federated school system - different states do it their own way - so there isn't a 'german' school system.
Yes, Germany does have 'Hauptschule' which can be thought of as 'vocational skills based' but so do many systems, and Germany also has 'Gymnasium' schools and 'Realschule' which are more focussed on university, and much less vocational...

The German system is notably different in many respects (kids only go in the morning & they do a LOT more homework, to name but 2) but I don't think vocational emphasis is one of them.
deanhills
I was thinking along the lines of the German Fachhochschule. It is well documented everywhere and the envy of countries where there is a shortage of engineers as the system is more practical preparing students for a profession rather than focused on academic training only.
adri
I actually like the Belgian school system. Especially the ability that everyone can go to college is a big plus. (Without a scholarship it only costs 500€ to enter a University, you do have extra costs for books etc; but there are help programs for that too, so you can get them for a whole lot less).

Take that UK (with the expensive universities). Wink

adri
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of the German Fachhochschule. It is well documented everywhere and the envy of countries where there is a shortage of engineers as the system is more practical preparing students for a profession rather than focused on academic training only.

They are not schools, they are universities.
Adri wrote:
Take that UK (with the expensive universities).
I note that no Belgian University features in the top ranking....
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
The top Belgian Uni is at position 124 - Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL), just below Cardiff Uni which is not considered one of the greats here....
Smile
(Actually I am a supporter of free university places and opposed the introduction of fees here).
adri
Bikerman wrote:
deanhills wrote:

They are not schools, they are universities.
Adri wrote:
Take that UK (with the expensive universities).
I note that no Belgian University features in the top ranking....
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
The top Belgian Uni is at position 124 - Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL), just below Cardiff Uni which is not considered one of the greats here....
Smile
(Actually I am a supporter of free university places and opposed the introduction of fees here).

I Guess you missed the University where I study at place 86. Cool They had place 61 in 2007 but I can't find anything on what this ranking is based. If I click on the University, I get a text which was probably made by the university itself but I can't really find a review about the downsides of the University or upsides. Confused

And why does Cambridge has a score of 100? No University has a perfect score, so can I conclude that all other universities are compared with Cambridge, being a model?

/* I don't like that site */

adri
Afaceinthematrix
Bikerman wrote:

Aren't you a teacher, though? Surely you would rather have food to eat and a warm place to sleep at night than not, right? If I was a teacher I would surely not do it for free. If I'm going to teach someone, I expect them to pay me for it.

That money has to come from somewhere. The taxpayers shouldn't have to front the entire bill. In the U.S., we have public universities and private universities. Public universities are cheaper because they are partially funded by tax dollars and so they are cheaper. But taxpayers already pay for a minimum education for everyone. College is supposed to be an extra education that will put you in a better position for you life.

It is said that here, in the U.S., a bachelor's degree equals about an extra million dollars over the course of a lifetime and that a master's and Ph.D. is even more. So why shouldn't the college students have to pay that money? $50,000 is just a drop in the bucket when you're most likely going to make at least an extra million dollars. That's an investment. And I fail to understand why tax payers should pay for someone to make more money. The only argument that I can understand is that we need college graduates (engineers, teachers, etc.) for society to function and so society should pay for those people. But that arguments fails when you point out that those people are paid well for their job and that we also need non-graduates (factory workers, etc.).

So please... I want to hear your reasoning because I don't understand.
shivaghimire
Now a days, most of the education institutes are involved in business rather than education. They only focus on marks or grades in board exam. They make us prepare in limited lessons and most of the practical lessons are left over. Dedicated, enthusiastic, qualified teachers have been very less. We students too are becoming very lazy now a days. As facilities have been increased laziness also increased in the same proportion. We get more learning materials through internet, we have good facilities of library but hard work of our elders are much more than that of us. So quality is too much decreased in this time.
iiinvest
Personally, I believe that younger children taught with a clear framework by a inspirational teacher can do wonders for them in the future. I noticed that throughout my life that the teachers I learned the most from were the ones that inspired me to find out more information on my own. Those teachers also taught me how to uncover the truth, dig for facts, question common consensus which are all wonderful skills to give someone. Once out of college, most people will never see a teacher again so for a teacher to give the inspiration and the tools for the student to learn independently is, I feel, the most important thing.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day but teach him to fish and feed him for a lifetime. I feel that many educational systems (and PARENTS!) are giving children information. Children are asked to regurgitate information and quickly forget about it. However, if we can teach the children to be curious, to question, how to research, etc,. I feel that the person will be able to find information on their own as they get older.

Does anyone agree?
munizedward
The objective of any education system should be to inspire the students and to enrich the profession.
some other objective of the education

1.To provide a learning environment in which students acquire, develop, and deploy skills of rational thought and critical analysis.
2.To enable students to evaluate arguments and information.
3.To empower students to systematically challenge received traditions of knowledge, beliefs and values.
4.To enable students to acquire skills and competencies, including appropriate written and spoken communication skills.
5.To ensure that students examine the purposes and consequences of their education and experience at University, and to foster acceptance of professional and ethical action and the social responsibility of graduates.
tofayel
Simply we know education broadens our mind and it gives us analytical ability. But present scenario is that all we are hungry for certifications, that now education for job.
biboopro
Nowaday, education is very bad...
loveandormoney
nanobid wrote:

Education is for survive. If You learn that or You teach that
then You can handle the job and You are interested to learn for example to study French or Latin.
Iceaxe0410
I think it's both. It depends on how you view education. For the professors in a university, their primary goals are to further knowledge and expand the fields. However, this also includes studying for their jobs. For the instructors and teachers it's to further knowledge and keep up with their jobs.

As for students, it's unfortunately more focused on preparing for jobs. Many kids are forced into higher learning even if they aren't qualified or suited for it. The bachelor's degree has lost a lot of importance in the workforce and has moved up into requiring masters or even doctorate degrees just to qualify for certain positions. It has just been a natural progression. Many jobs that had lower entry qualifications tightened up to require degrees. This forces kids to pursue college even if they aren't suited well for that level of education. Standards are lowered and the prestige of obtaining a degree as a whole is reduced.

There's been a move away from technical and trade schools because many of those jobs are being shipped overseas and outsourced which also adds to it.

Overall, I'd say education is focused on survival and preparing for the workforce. Expanding knowledge is there, but only as a general requirement. It's less common for students to attend college or universities for the sole purpose of gaining knowledge unrelated to their career choices.
bukaida
Education without job is meaningless. However if you manage to get a job without proper expertise(Education) in that field, you are soon going to loose it. So both of them works together and makes the picture complete.
enilsoncba
My opinion focused on reality, at least here in Brazil, is to fully work. Accumulation of knowledge today has become something rare, beautiful, exclusive of those who have it. We are in an era where education is necessary and requested but focus on the labor market in search of better positions and functions. Administer positions and functions with acquired knowledge is infinitely more possible that the same situation for a candidate without much knowledge. This sense that people observe today. Knowledge in some segments are undoubtedly fundamental and essential that only the labor market, these are the area of ​​research, extension, scientific fields and other areas where knowledge prevails in its primary importance, without condition or vital interests be a professional. In the end, I believe that knowledge has its paramount importance and they never cease to miss this place, but I understand that currently the colleges, graduate, postgraduate sought are mostly targeted by reputation at work, higher wages, points in open and so on.
victoria10024
I agree with the majority here. Nowadays with current economy we can't afford studying for the sake of knowledge unless it's going to pay very soon. The number of people going for a PhD is decreasing drastically. Who wants to spend years on a research program if you can be making money while getting practical experience instead? Practise makes perfect after all.