FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A thank you button

jmlworld
Sometimes forum users ask other forum colleagues to solve problems. Mainly the computer, webmaster and scripting sections of Frihost receive many questions about software, coding and scripting problems.

There are many helpful users on Frihost and they try to find a solution for any problem posted on these forums. Normally, the person who posted the question replies "Thanks, it worked" when they get the solution of the problem.

It would be helpful if a "Thanks" button was added below the "Coins" and every time someone receives a helpful post from a certain user, they would easily click the "Thanks" button, which would add +1 in the number of thanks that person received.
truespeed
It would only work if points were added for thanking,if theres no gain in just clicking thanks then people will just type out thanks to gain some points.

The problem with adding points to thanks buttons,is that you will get some people who just go around the board randomly thanking loads of posts without actually posting any content,

So its a no from me.
Bluedoll
[thanks] for posting this suggestion -> this post will go to the collection of coins in my purse today. Very Happy

A thank you, I got one thank you last month in a pm ... makes you feel good.
Do see were you are coming from, people that try to help others do deserve credit. Here is another thought except for the spammers isn't everyone deserving of a little gratitude and respect on a forum? I could be wrong but I think coins are a good thing but maybe other systems can work too?
Nameless
We've already got a [ donate ] button that's pretty much exactly for this purpose.
Ankhanu
There's a Thanks feature on a bass guitar forum that I frequent... it really doesn't get much use. I guess the idea is that it promotes particularly helpful/informative posts.

It's a neat idea, but, really, not a particularly useful feature in many cases.
saratdear
If we are going to have a "thank you" button, no need for adding any points to the user who was thanked or the one who is thanking. Just a feature which gives you a mental high, that's all - "abcuser was thanked 26 times".
cybersa
I welcome this suggestion.
This will help the other user to find good user in this forum.

My Suggestion:
Thanks Meter
will display the bar based on the user thanks power.
jmlworld
saratdear wrote:
If we are going to have a "thank you" button, no need for adding any points to the user who was thanked or the one who is thanking. Just a feature which gives you a mental high, that's all - "abcuser was thanked 26 times".

That's exactly what I meant. I've seen something like this on some coding forums and once someone posts a helpful answer to certain question, the person who asked the question may click the "thanks" button to show appreciation to the helpful member.

truespeed wrote:
It would only work if points were added for thanking,if theres no gain in just clicking thanks then people will just type out thanks to gain some points.

The problem with adding points to thanks buttons,is that you will get some people who just go around the board randomly thanking loads of posts without actually posting any content,

So its a no from me.

It will not increment the points/coins the "thanks" giver gained and the points/coins of the person receiving the "thanks", instead it will show how many times this user was helpful (like Yahoo! Answers) or how many times that person was thanked.

Also only the post starter can be eligible to give "Thanks".

Example:

Code:

truespeed
==Senior Frihoster==

Blog: The world in pictures
42.19 Points
2689.12 FRIH$
166.90 Coins

Helpful: 24 times

[ Donate ]

See the Helpful line. I couldn't find a better word.
Asap170
Basically you mean reputation. I think it be a good thing because then you could recognize that the post was made by a quality poster.
Hogwarts
Asap170 wrote:
I think it be a good thing because then you could recognize that the post was made by a quality poster.

Should you not be able to recognize that based upon the quality of the post? Wink
deanhills
Thank you would also be relative to the person who pushed the thank you button. Thanking someone does not always mean that the quality of the post was great. It could be as simple as being grateful for a piece of information that was useful to the person only who pushed the thank you button and useless to everyone else whose experience of that information is on a more advanced level.
AsadAnsari
Nameless:
Quote:
We've already got a [ donate ] button that's pretty much exactly for this purpose.

well its exactly not for the same purpose..

I am pretty much agreed with.

jmlworld:
Quote:
Sometimes forum users ask other forum colleagues to solve problems. Mainly the computer, webmaster and scripting sections of Frihost receive many questions about software, coding and scripting problems.

There are many helpful users on Frihost and they try to find a solution for any problem posted on these forums. Normally, the person who posted the question replies "Thanks, it worked" when they get the solution of the problem.

It would be helpful if a "Thanks" button was added below the "Coins" and every time someone receives a helpful post from a certain user, they would easily click the "Thanks" button, which would add +1 in the number of thanks that person received.

+1 or -1
this idea is better .. on every 50 thanks or +1 the earner should get 3 coins.
because of this it will be easy for us to find that whose opinion is being considered right and whose not.
as the donate button deducts who donates coins so people mostly avoids to use it ..
i was thinking to post such suggestion but i found a similar discussion already is running..
Peterssidan
I don't think this kind of system is very useful. Instead of saying thank you I press a button? What's wrong with a "thank you" in text? Can I see who has thanked me? If not I can't be sure that I actually got a thank you from the person I helped and maybe the problem is still not solved.

I think it is better if I can build my own view of a person instead of having other people tell me this is a helpful user. A user with many posts is more likely to have many thanks so it doesn't really tell that much about the user.
sanalskumar
If a person has more number of posts in his credit, doesn't mean that he was helpful many times. The user who has received many thanks postings, wont be remembering all of them. If at all he remembers, what is the point? But if its visible with his total number of postings, that will definitely increase his reputation. What is wrong in a person getting realized for his efforts to help others?

Quote:
I think it is better if I can build my own view of a person instead of having other people tell me this is a helpful user.

I will put it the other way. Why can't we use the number of thanks received by a person, to actually build a view about that person by our self ? We always have the choice to decide whether or not to respect an individual or not.

But this system, if implemented, should not be forcing the users to use the 'thank you' button always if they want to thank a person. Instead, the individual should always have the right to decide whether to press the thank you button or just post a thanks as a reply.
deanhills
I posted at FreeWebSpace.net this summer in order to advertise Frihost. They have a system like that, but it is not working at all. It is not that easy to implement. As one would have to configure it so that people won't abuse it. For example, a person can only give another member one thank you or acknowledgement in so many days.

I think in a Forum like Frihost that is relatively small, it is quite easy to show appreciation to others for their contribution by just thanking them in posts. Pretty easy to identify the really good posts too.
rajpk
i agree with suggestion
its good to know that how many times a member of frihost got thanks
so it will add honor to that member. and others member will know that this member helps other member and got thanked
so that they may ask thier questions directly to that person
i think this will be worth to directly pm member and got their questions answer as soon as possible:)