FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to reduce Internet Bandwidth Use

rjraaz
Here are a few way you can use to save Internet bandwidth.

1: Block access to content-streaming Web sites

2: Throttle cloud backup applications

3: Limit your use of VoIP

4: Use a proxy cache

5: Centralize application updates

6: Use hosted filtering for eMails.

7: Identify the users who use maximum and for long time.

8: Aggressively scan for malware by using of Good Antimalware programs

9: Use QoS (Quality of Service) to reserve bandwidth

10: Make sure you’re getting the bandwidth you’re paying for
Josso
Number 10 is difficult, as most of the ISPs have cheeky little small print that basically means "We can screw you and you can't do anything about it". On my 8mb connection often used to get 50-100kbps

Good list though
Helios
Josso wrote:
Number 10 is difficult, as most of the ISPs have cheeky little small print that basically means "We can screw you and you can't do anything about it". On my 8mb connection often used to get 50-100kbps

Good list though

Here in Israel an ISP must provide the rates you're paying for as long as the speed test is done using that specific company's servers, as far as I know.
If you're pinging a server in the US, for example, low rates are quite possible and that's often the case...
cybersa
Nice Tips.
Thanks.
jdelfire
you also resort on using a hardware
like using a router that has bandwidth limiter
but of course that will cause money
^_^
tamilparks
very good tips
FunDa
Few other tip :
Use Opera Turbo. It will use minimal bandwidth

On mobile use Opera Mini (or UCweb - I don't trust UCweb because it diverts though China)
Opera Mini diverts through Norway or Poland, but I trust Opera, so I use it.

Turn off automatic updates for Adobe Reader, Google toolbar and Java and other useless stuff, especially if you are on a limited bandwidth per month/(per day) connection.

Update them when u get lots of extra bandwidth

nickfrost
I will suggest you to use firewall.This will help you save your band width and you can implement a lots of restriction with this.
kta_fh
11. Upgrade your WLAN Access Point HW - having a quality radio in your AP reduces wireless resends dramatically. This may even decrease your internet traffic but at least it makes your internet use much faster and smoother. I replaced my 54Mbps AP with a 150/300 Mbps generation device and have since been browsing happily Smile
mahirh
Josso wrote:

Good list though

nope, by saying 8 mbps, they actually say 8 mega bit per second and that equated to 1 megabyte per second it will still depend on the websites you visit and neighborhood traffic
timetorock
Thanks, I am using volume based internet plan and that was of great help for me to reduce bandwidth consumption and use internet for a longer time.