FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

we are care free after sth is said to be preety good by sb

baboosaa
"This is the best constitution we ever had."
These words may not be true in itself but if we hear this we do think that everything is all right and we move on until one day we get stuck by some giant boulder and start to seek for hammer,small one, so that we can break it apart into two pieces.
Is that how our political system works?
We need to have our ways to figure whether a system we are using is good for us or not. It may be good for two or three years but it won't be good for ever.
SonLight
I was wondering what constitution you are talking about. Clearly neither the US nor British constitutional situation is optimal, but in both cases it has served us reasonably well for a long time and there is understandable reluctance to tamper with it, lest we create more problems than we solve.

The US constitution has been amended a few times [24 last I knew -- 22 when I first studied it]. New changes are occasionally proposed, but not easily ratified. Our present constitution is the result of a convention asked to 'amend' the Articles of Confederation. It is widely believed that if we authorize another constitutional convention, it too might make dramatic changes beyond what was intended, so even those who want substantial change dare not start that process.

As far as I know, Great Britain has no formal written constitution, but many documents from the Magna Carta on which establish precedents and perform the same function.