FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Install deb Package in Ubuntu 11.04 without Internet Conn

therimalaya
I have downloaded a deb package of skype. But i don't know how to install it in my ubuntu 11.04 system. when i double click the package it shows me an install button with Skype in "Ubuntu Software Center". When i click install, it starts to download the package again. Can't i install the skype when i already have the package. Someone please suggest...
Fire Boar
It is most likely downloading dependencies. That's why it's generally better to install things online: dependency resolution happens for you. You can download individual debs for any of the packages you need, but as soon as you try to install one which depends on a package which is not currently installed, the package manager will automatically try to download and install what you need from a repository.

The easiest way to get a full list of missing dependencies is to install the package in dry-run mode, which does nothing, but tells you what would have been done if it were not run in dry-run mode. For instance,

dpkg --dry-run -i skype.deb

If you want to install offline, you'll need to first get a deb of each dependency. Put them all in the same directory, and then from that directory do

dpkg -i *.deb

to install them all.
therimalaya
Fire Boar wrote:
It is most likely downloading dependencies. That's why it's generally better to install things online: dependency resolution happens for you. You can download individual debs for any of the packages you need, but as soon as you try to install one which depends on a package which is not currently installed, the package manager will automatically try to download and install what you need from a repository.

The easiest way to get a full list of missing dependencies is to install the package in dry-run mode, which does nothing, but tells you what would have been done if it were not run in dry-run mode. For instance,

dpkg --dry-run -i skype.deb

If you want to install offline, you'll need to first get a deb of each dependency. Put them all in the same directory, and then from that directory do

dpkg -i *.deb

to install them all.

Thanks for the response, i'll try that right now...
NitNik
Skype seems to need these dependencies:
appmenu-qt
libdbusmenu-qt2
libmngl
libqt4-dbus
libqt4-network
libqt4-xml
libqtcore4
libqtgui4

These are the things Aptitude tried to install on my Lubuntu (plain Lubuntu, only Aptitude and Alien installed.)
You could try to get every dependence as a .deb and then install the dependencies first.