FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleep Why we need it

chasbeen
Our bodies need sleep to recharge.
Like food we hear our bodies ask for
It but unlike food, we sometimes forget we need sleep.
Sleep is good for health so what methods do you use to make sure you get enough of it?
deanhills
Right. Problem is there is just so much time in the day. And sleeping just seems like an awful waste of time. But you're right of course. I really need to buckle down and get regular sleep. Think that would also take care of my limbic centre where apparently plenty of procrastination is going on when I am at home. Anyway, thanks for posting this thread, it seems to have special relevance to me. I've been doing too many all nighters lately and that can't be good for the health.
truespeed
Do all species require sleep? From a evolutionary point of view,not requiring sleep would be very beneficial,sleep can leave you vulnerable to attack from predators,being awake all the time would give you more time to hunt,eat,procreate.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Do all species require sleep? From a evolutionary point of view,not requiring sleep would be very beneficial,sleep can leave you vulnerable to attack from predators,being awake all the time would give you more time to hunt,eat,procreate.
Right. Another flaw in the design of humans! That is in addition to not being able to fly, or needing fins, mask, weights and a tank to dive. Darn! Twisted Evil
rjraaz
I think sleep is required to relax our mind and body.
chasbeen
I was reminded recently that deliberately not going to sleep is worse than a night where you experience poor sleep.
I stayed up all night trying to meet a work deadline and it was around 4 o'clock in the morning that my body started to realize I was not even going to try.
I have got to plan NOT to get myself in that situation again.
I actually started hallucinating at one stage,
deanhills
Think my situation is really bad as I'm used to not sleeping. I have no regular routine either. Over the weekend it is great as I get to choose when I want to sleep, which is more like when I need to sleep. But during the week I may only get to bed by 2:00 a.m. or sometimes as late as 4:00 a.m. and then get up at 6:00 a.m. It does happen occasionally (but not regularly) that I completely pass out in a sitting position whilst watching the news just after dinner. I need to get into a routine of course as this is not a good situation, except I don't like routine that much either. I'm snookered! Twisted Evil
adri
Most of the time (take 95%), I will go to bed around 10pm - 11pm (and max. 12pm). I will then fall asleep in around 10 to 15 minutes and if no one will wake me up, I will be in Dreamland for about +10 hours. Confused I am, on one hand glad that I sleep that easily but on the other hand I am sometimes jealous of people who need less sleep then myself as they can do more in one day.

If I don't sleep more 8 hours every night, I'm not as bright as I should be and I'm in a bad mood all day (until I can go to bed that is ). I do already drink coffee quite a lot (I drink Coca-cola too :p ) so that isn't a solution either.

I did once thought of "training" myself in doing the same with less sleep but my body refused to cooperate. Razz

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
Most of the time (take 95%), I will go to bed around 10pm - 11pm (and max. 12pm). I will then fall asleep in around 10 to 15 minutes and if no one will wake me up, I will be in Dreamland for about +10 hours. Confused I am, on one hand glad that I sleep that easily but on the other hand I am sometimes jealous of people who need less sleep then myself as they can do more in one day.

If I don't sleep more 8 hours every night, I'm not as bright as I should be and I'm in a bad mood all day (until I can go to bed that is ). I do already drink coffee quite a lot (I drink Coca-cola too :p ) so that isn't a solution either.

I did once thought of "training" myself in doing the same with less sleep but my body refused to cooperate. Razz

adri
I think you are lucky for being able to get regular sleep so naturally. I'm totally envious of that. Probably one of the healthiest things there could be. Would have been great if you could put it in a bottle and sell it. You'd have become an instant billionaire with that. Very Happy
chasbeen
Adri said
Quote:
Most of the time (take 95%), I will go to bed around 10pm - 11pm (and max. 12pm). I will then fall asleep in around 10 to 15 minutes and if no one will wake me up, I will be in Dreamland for about +10 hours. I am, on one hand glad that I sleep that easily but on the other hand I am sometimes jealous of people who need less sleep then myself as they can do more in one day.

Note the abundance of sleep and notice at the end if ONLY 8 hours is obtained.

It's no coincidence that this person is a senior fh
I wonder because I feel Super if I get 6

Getting enough sleep is an advantage!
loyal
chasbeen wrote:
Our bodies need sleep to recharge.
Like food we hear our bodies ask for
It but unlike food, we sometimes forget we need sleep.
Sleep is good for health so what methods do you use to make sure you get enough of it?

As a person who has had ALOT of experience of not sleeping at all for many hours, (I think my "record" was four days straight), I can assure you that sleep is necessary for us. If you don't get enough, you will fall asleep randomly anywhere like I used to. Or if the sleep deprivation is not that bad, you'll still encounter the symptoms of sleep deprivation such as tiredness, lack of concentration, etc. Sleep might be a waste of time, but if there's one thing I've learnt is that it's better to sleep, say, 10 hours and be good for the rest of the day, than to sleep for 6 and be tired, irritable, and less productive for the rest of the day.

Peace.
chasbeen
Loyal
You made me think
If I get 6 I feel great
Some of us need less sleep but I don't think I have special powers
I think I trained my body and mind for this
After some weeks I suddenly get 10 hours
My life is a series of projects and the 10 hour sleep seems to coincide with the end of these!
surekha1976
Friend good topic but yes sleeping is necessary for body because after competing full day work relaxing is needed otherwise body will damage. Like headach, annoying etc.

No one can live without sleeping. For mind and eyes as well as body relax is necessary for some time so sleeping is must. Even after eating the food
surekha1976
Friend 10 hours sleeping is more 6 to 8 hours is sufficient. But sleeping is must for body otherwise you can do the work properly next day.

No one can work day and night more than 2 days. They may fall ill.
surekha1976
Yes my habit is also same go to bad near 10 to 11 and sleep at least at night 12 with in 15 minutes slept and at least 8 hours sleeping.

So I am enjoying next day with fresh mood and ready for full day working. Otherwise feel laziness. For mind and eyes relaxing it is necessary
vidafenomenal
sleep is more important than food.
loyal
vidafenomenal wrote:
sleep is more important than food.

Both are important. But you'd die without food. I think sleep deprivation can be used as a form of torture...
iiinvest
It's interesting to live in a country that on the average works very long hours and gets quite little sleep. A lot of the private sector jobs and public sector jobs have workers working 60+ hours a week and I hear a lot of my business students telling me thay get 4-6 hours of sleep. Seeing how in the US I slept 8-9 hours a day and now sleep 6-7, I feel on average the same as when I lived in the US. Maybe our society also plays a role in our satisfaction of sleep. That would be an interesting to look into.
congra
i am a regular person .i always sleeping on time every night. i think don't stay up late is good for health.
mgeek
I hit the sack when I am already sleepy. And that would be around 11 pm.