FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[SOLVED] not booting anymore

Marcuzzo
Hi guys,
My gf's laptop was infected by a virus and I had to power it down because it was completely frozen;
after rebooting it it would load the bios screen and then a black screen with a flashing cursor.
I managed to boot into a linux live cd and it initially couldn't mount the volume because it was not closed properly, I forced the mount and unmounted it, now I can access the drive in linux but when I try to boot in windows or install disc it will not continue.
reformatting is not an option as it holds a lot of stuff she needs.

any ideas?
thanks in advance
Josso
Maybe I shouldn't be browsing the tech support section as all I can think of are solutions you could use if you had a time machine.

At least you have the Linux running, that is a smart move... can you not backup all the needed files from there (should be backed up anyway)?

This could litreally be 1000 things. Have you got the original discs that came with the laptop?
airh3ad
if you can't fix the machine using repair options in bootable disc.You really need to backup the files used other pc then connect the hardrive now its time to reformat once all the data is backup.
Marcuzzo
yesterday I managed to get the XP install disc booted and took the repair option.
all goes well until it tells me that it can't see the hard disc,
I think this one is still opened and there is no way to unlock it without taking the HDD out, connect it via usb and safely remove it.
I will give it a shot tonight and if it doesn't help I'll back everything up and format.
thanks for your advice guys
jilbs
The main reason why the installer cannot load the driver for SATA types hard disk. try to to turn on/off the SATA compatibility mode in BIOS and it should do it. if not, search for Nlite and make a custome Winxp Cd. if still now working upgarde to Vista or Seven. Good luck.
Marcuzzo
jilbs wrote:
The main reason why the installer cannot load the driver for SATA types hard disk. try to to turn on/off the SATA compatibility mode in BIOS and it should do it. if not, search for Nlite and make a custome Winxp Cd. if still now working upgarde to Vista or Seven. Good luck.

* the drive uses a IDE interface
* this is a laptop and I have the original OEM installation disc
* this is a HP nc6320, I doubt it if this one will even run on Vista, let alone 7

this topic can be closed, I've backed up all the stuff I need using a linux live CD and formatted the drive with Gparted to NTFS, reinstalled and everything is ok now.