FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No internet required to access Facebook in India

rjraaz
Airtel (Bharti Telecom) has launched the world's first USSD-based Facebook access service in India, this is a easiest way for all Facebook lovers or Fans to access Facebook without an internet connection. The users of Airtel can update their Facebook status for free, and, for Rs. 1 per day they can able to view/comment/Like news feeds, post on walls confirm friend requests, find and add friends, and view notifications.

USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data ) has significantly faster response times than SMS based services and is suitable for any content-based and interactive applications.
captainsuperdude
That's very awesome, how do they access the service, is it like a kiosk that they set up in marketplaces?
loonix
A lot of people will view such a move as progress...

Facebook, making private lives public since 2004. The sooner we stop using such services the better IMO.
cybersa
It is good service.
But i'm Twitter lover.
surekha1976
Wow nice information you are provided good and thanks. Really this is awesome or amazing now all facebook fans will happy. But this is access in whole country or city wise.
rjraaz
@ captainsuperdude

Quote:
That's very awesome, how do they access the service, is it like a kiosk that they set up in marketplaces?

As i have mentioned already this is USSD based, and USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is a menu-based system that enables interfacing with content based services. Instead of a browser, which requires an internet / GPRS connection), the USSD menu acts as browser to pull content to the phone.

@ surekha1976

Quote:
Wow nice information you are provided good and thanks. Really this is awesome or amazing now all facebook fans will happy. But this is access in whole country or city wise.

This can accessed through whole country for all of you here is the steps that you all need to access the service.

1. Dial *325# from your Airtel mobile number.
    2. Now you will be greeted with a message displayed on your screen and click ‘Exit‘ and wait for another message to appear.
    3. In next message you will be asked for your Facebook username. Enter the full username as you do on your computer and send it.
    4. and then now be asked for facebook password (Repeat the process as in Step 3).
    If the username and password you submitted were correct then you will see a menu appear on screen showing “Welcome to Facebook” and list of things you can do.
    You can now:
    Update Facebook status for free!
    View/comment/’Like’ news feeds, post on friends walls, confirm friend requests, view notifications, find and add friends (Chargeable at Re 1 per day per use).

Source: Airtel Customer Care
SultanMA
OMG!!

Hope we get like this features :S
FunDa
captainsuperdude wrote:

No !

It is on any basic mobile phone.

It is like checking the prepaid credit balance on a mobile.
Like *123#

So, it is much faster than sms based facebook(which is also available in India)
menino
That is quite an innovation in terms of messaging, and also a value added service for customers, which is very cheap.
Most people in India have mobiles more than internet services in India, so it makes sense, and also brings in the Telecom company a good face value in the market.
Thanks rjraaz for the info. It is quite a good feature indeed.

In other parts of the world, Internet is cheaper than cell phone and sms usage (overall aggregate usage), so in India, this makes sense to implement and use.
rjraaz
menino wrote:
In other parts of the world, Internet is cheaper than cell phone and sms usage (overall aggregate usage), so in India, this makes sense to implement and use.

Yes I am agree with you, that sounds very Useful for us. Just in 100Rs we get Internet on our MObile for a month or 5Rs for a day.
NitNik
LOL, internet without internet... Shocked

It would be great if some people could create some anonymouse-services on it: "Use the Internet without leaving trails in in the Internet". Very Happy
Aredon
NitNik wrote:

It would be great if some people could create some anonymouse-services on it: "Use the Internet without leaving trails in in the Internet". Very Happy
Just as there is always insecurities, there is always a trail. Cool
NitNik
Aredon wrote:
Just as there is always insecurities, there is always a trail. Cool

Aaaawww Sad
But maybe, the trail could be much smaller than it actually is? Laughing
But an anonymous "not-internet" through not-used radio-frequencies would be cool and geeky. Very Happy But it will be only a dream for sure...

Is there a way to create such USSD-Websites or do you need to have a umts/gprs-net for it? Question I would love to have such a website...
FunDa
rjraaz wrote:
menino wrote:

Yes I am agree with you, that sounds very Useful for us. Just in 100Rs we get Internet on our MObile for a month or 5Rs for a day.

In India, here are a few costs of GPRS internet on mobile phones.
I think the GPRS packs are mostly reasonable

Most mobile operators have different packs for 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 15 days, 30 days and 3 months or 1 year

Operators and their GPRS costs:
Tata Docomo:
- 30 days Rs 48 for 2GB
- 15 days ~Rs 27
- 1 day Rs5 fr 50 MB

Virgin Mobile:
- 3 months Rs 220 for 12GB
- 30 days Rs 63 for 2.5 GB
- 15 days Rs 27 for 1GB
- 1 day Rs 5 for 10 MB

Airtel:
9 months ~ Rs 500 for unlimited*
30 days Rs 98 for 4GB

Also, there are a lot of competing players in India, so there is always another operator to jump to in case your current operator is unreasonable.

Vodafone(which bought Hutch(which bought Orange and BPL)):
Aircel
Tata Indicom
Reliance
Uninor
MTS
Idea