FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Re-sizing partitions and re-formating HD with Win7 CD

ms_j
So, this is what happened to me couple of months ago. I sorted it out, but maybe since there are a lot of people here who know more about computers then me, maybe someone can tell me what went wrong. I am mostly self taught when it comes to computers so I'm really curious. Please, any information will be useful.

I have 3 partitions C,D and E. I used "Partition Master" (I think thats the name) to chop a part of the E drive and I wanted to attach it it to C. The chopping away part went ok. But then I assigned that part to C drive, the process started. It passed E drive successfully (new unallocated space was at the end, & it needed to go over E and D drive to get to C drive). But something went wrong while it was passing D drive. When computer restarted, D drive was missing. It just was't there.

So I decided to just re-format C and D drive. I wanted to use Win 7 boot CD. It re-formated C drive without a problem. But it didn't want to re-format the D drive. All I could do was to delete it,but I couldn't format a new drive out of that, now unallocated space. In the end, I put in my Win XP cd which allowed me to go to DOS and I formated everything old-fashioned style.

I apologize for non-technical terms, but like I said, I am self-taught.

Any ideas?
jilbs
hi. what was your question exactly? seems like you've already solved your problem. ^^
ms_j
Yeah, I did. The question was why did the partition D disappear after using Partition Master, and why I couldn't format the partition using Win7 CD but I could do it in DOS? I used that Win7 CD once before to re-format my HD and it worked just fine.
flamepjlh
ms_j wrote:
So, this is what happened to me couple of months ago. I sorted it out, but maybe since there are a lot of people here who know more about computers then me, maybe someone can tell me what went wrong. I am mostly self taught when it comes to computers so I'm really curious. Please, any information will be useful.

I have 3 partitions C,D and E. I used "Partition Master" (I think thats the name) to chop a part of the E drive and I wanted to attach it it to C. The chopping away part went ok. But then I assigned that part to C drive, the process started. It passed E drive successfully (new unallocated space was at the end, & it needed to go over E and D drive to get to C drive). But something went wrong while it was passing D drive. When computer restarted, D drive was missing. It just was't there.

So I decided to just re-format C and D drive. I wanted to use Win 7 boot CD. It re-formated C drive without a problem. But it didn't want to re-format the D drive. All I could do was to delete it,but I couldn't format a new drive out of that, now unallocated space. In the end, I put in my Win XP cd which allowed me to go to DOS and I formated everything old-fashioned style.

I apologize for non-technical terms, but like I said, I am self-taught.

Any ideas?

You can only merge the nearby patition together.                                       

One partion can only be continuously allocated.

Smile Smile
FunDa
Using partition master or any such partition managing software has always caused some problem or the other with me.

So I ALWAYS make backups before rearranging partitions.

One tip:- Using the default Windows Partition manager might be safer than using Partition Magic. Long back, I accidentally erased a partition when using partition magic

Another tip:- After using Windows partition manager or Partition Magic when Linux installation's partition manager, Linux might say there are errors on the Partition table and wants to correct. This could be dangerous, but I allowed Linux t correct the errors and data was not lost.
I don't know if the "errors" were caused by Windows or by Partition Magic or random whether Linux was just trying to blame Windows for everything Wink LOL

I always prefer to take important data out of the hard disk to be partitioned into a separate external Hard Disk( or Internal Hard Disk if available)

Then I delete everything except C drive and start creating from the beginning.

Another tip:- There is a limit to the number of primary partitions, so better to make an extended partition and make logical partitions on that.
ms_j
Oh regarding backup, I did it for partition E. That is where my files were. C and D were for software. And I had only one primary partition, C.

Quote:
I don't know if the "errors" were caused by Windows or by Partition Magic

I don't know that ether. That's what I was trying to find out. I guess there's no answer, huh? Well, at least I learned something new and I will never try to experiment like that again. Very Happy
menino
playing around with the partitions has and always will be a dangerous thing.
Just yesterday, my friend wanted to extend his c: partition and use it up from the d: partition.
After i used partition wizard home edition, it did it, but then it would not boot up.
So I tried to revert the partition back using partition wizard home edition, and it said that once a partition is resized, it cannot be put back to its original state, which was a bug.
Finally, I used the windows 7 dvd to repair the partition, and it started up.

But before this, so many times, I've lost data and information, trying to work with partitions.