FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ha! Ha! I'm Using the Internet for Social Shenanigans!

quex
First, this:

...and this.

Now, this:

I find the hijinks of Anon to be both hilarious and fascinating. A massive, barely-coherent network of persons communicating in real time has the power to organize and manifest itself in the real world, all powered by the promise of an entertaining outcome... is this a display of the human hive-mind beginning to awaken? Or just a show of how far so many will go to be part of a concept?

Either way, I love it.
ocalhoun

Sorry, I couldn't help but think of that meme when I read the topic title. ^.^

As for organizing such things for the lulz, that is fun... But now that I'm getting interested in anarchist thought, I'd prefer to organize such things for a higher purpose than just lulz...
deanhills
quex wrote:
I find the hijinks of Anon to be both hilarious and fascinating. A massive, barely-coherent network of persons communicating in real time has the power to organize and manifest itself in the real world, all powered by the promise of an entertaining outcome... is this a display of the human hive-mind beginning to awaken? Or just a show of how far so many will go to be part of a concept?

Either way, I love it.
Sorry, I can't help but find them ignorant "in reverse". Except they are doing their poking at stuff from an ivory tower of presumed intelligence on the basis of knocking holes in others. Reminds me of DH Lawrence's Poem Worm Either Way.
quex
ocalhoun wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't help but think of that meme when I read the topic title. ^.^

That's exactly what I was going for. ^_^

I was pretty impressed with Project Chanology, actually.... using the lulz to gather an army for the purpose of outing Scientology's crimes against its vulnerable believers. Wish it'd keep going.
captainsuperdude
indwpendent film!
quex
captainsuperdude wrote:
indwpendent film!

...what the hell? O.o

Actually, to renew this thread.... has anyone been following LulzSec's antics? The last voyage of the LulzBoat was apparently to go after the Arizona State Police, purportedly in protest of SB1070 anti-immigration legislation. Excellent exposure of other government and large corporation cogs, too.

(My apologies if this has been posted in its own thread elsewhere.)
Asap170
When you say "lulz" are you referring to"lol" or are you referring to Lulz Security. They are two different things.

Anyways I think it be pretty funny to know that I would be behind the cause of it. Always wanted to be on the other side of things. Also, someone should make an image to send in.
wombatrpgs
Asap170 wrote:
When you say "lulz" are you referring to"lol" or are you referring to Lulz Security. They are two different things.

It's not like the "hacking" collective coined the term.
c'tair
Well, it is certainly entertaining from both a humor as well as sociological point of view.

Are the chans creating something along the lines of a hivemind? However, how effective is this hivemind? We all know what happens to people when they engage in mob behaviour (ie. lack of any morals, almost animal like behaviour, uncontrolled aggression etc.) and we also know that most scientific progress is attributed to individuals and not groups of people. Sure, while it is society that maintains those individuals, it is also society that may hinder their progress.
Asap170
Wonder if anyone actually did this. It be pretty funny if some people actually did that.
wombatrpgs
c'tair wrote:
Well, it is certainly entertaining from both a humor as well as sociological point of view.

Are the chans creating something along the lines of a hivemind? However, how effective is this hivemind? We all know what happens to people when they engage in mob behaviour (ie. lack of any morals, almost animal like behaviour, uncontrolled aggression etc.) and we also know that most scientific progress is attributed to individuals and not groups of people. Sure, while it is society that maintains those individuals, it is also society that may hinder their progress.

I wouldn't place that blame on the chans... If you think of it, this stuff isn't new at all. I forgot where I was reading that it's common for crowds to gather below people contemplating suicide on the tops of buildings and goad them into jumping. Would anyone do that on their own? Probably not, but as a crowd, the mentality changes.
Josso

THIS IS AMAZING. That presumably taped together door is worthy of a master bricklayer.

Talking of social shenanigans
[WARNING! link sometimes contains offensive language and adult content. 18+]
Nonsense or something more... you decide.
quex
Josso wrote:

THIS IS AMAZING.

Yes. Yes it is. But it does not use the Internet to achieve it's glory. ._. Why is it being posted here?