FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

End of the World: May 21st?

quex
Ironically, this would be my sister's birthday.

But on a sincere note; is it only a group of American radical fundamentalists who are gearing up for doomsday on the 21st, or are folks in your country proclaiming the end as well? I can't help but enjoy the fantasy that all the lunatics actually will be gone after this Saturday. :D
ocalhoun
I really can't fathom how people fall for this... especially to the point of spending their life savings in anticipation of it. Especially considering how this is the guy's second prediction of the end of the world... (The first was deemed to have been mistaken because of 'mathematical errors', after the date passed without any apocalypses.)

Anybody want to take bets on who has the higher IQ?
Our competitors for today:
A- The guy who spent his life savings because of this prediction
B- My horse
Nameless
My favourite thing about these end of the world predictions is that one day somebody is going to drop and nuke and while the world is horrifically destroying itself there's still going to be one guy in his basement whispering 'yes' with the most inflated ego in the world because out of a million wrong guesses before him he'll be the one who was right.

Speaking of things that aren't going to end soon, that sentence.
gverutes
All great points in this forum. I think it's very easy for people to point out how someone predicted something in hindsight. What we fail to see is that so many "predictions" never happen. It's like coincidences, we only notice when they happen and not all the times they don't.
saratdear
Has the date been shifted from Dec 21, 2012 now? Rolling Eyes

One of his arguments on how it came to May 21 is laughable:

Wikipedia wrote:

1. According to Camping, the number five equals "atonement", the number ten equals "completeness", and the number seventeen equals "heaven".
2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.
3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.
4. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.
5. 51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.

(5 × 10 × 17)2 or (atonement × completeness × heaven)2 also equals 722,500.

I can probably make up on which shows the end of the world as yesterday.
emanuel2
ok that means I can stop writing my diploma thesis Smile
IceCreamTruck
I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

What is B) ocalhoun's horse! What do I win?!? That was easy!

So is predicting the future!!! Here check this out --

I predict that many will predict the future and be wrong. I predict that this will continue to happen every time there is some kind of symmetry in the current date, or changing of an age, or freakish alignment of the planets. I predict that mankind will never overcome some of their population falling victim to those who proclaim to know the future, and so I am more accurately forecasting the future for you now so you will worship IceCreamTruck!

IceCreamTruck is wise!

I predict that many will starve, and there will be disease. Some will triumph while others will fail, and yet everyone will feel much pain in life, tribulation, and in success. I predict that many will fall victim to the idea that money will make them happy, and yet ironically they will spend most of their lives without much of it. I predict that people will waste their lives focusing on things they cannot change, instead of focusing on the things that they can change, and as a result depression and disillusionment will be epidemic.

IceCreamTruck is love!

I predict that some will read and learn. I predict that some will grow stronger, and rise up to become the leaders of a new age. I predict that they will learn things that we never imagined, and go places we can only dream. I predict that the default of "world peace" will return, and the short lived chaos of our coming into our time will not endure.

IceCreamTruck is happiness!

I predict we will continue to redefine wealth, and happiness. I predict that we will become more and more similar, and former political/racial lines will dissolve through the ages as we gain understanding of ourselves and the magnificent universe around us. I predict we will jump further, swim faster/further, run faster/further, and we will continue to improve on the accomplishments of the generations that came before us.

IceCreamTruck is not like those other creepy cult leaders!

I predict that some of you will reject my words, and some of you will accept them. I predict some of you will find my words too simple, while others find that the way I say something helps you further understand something you didn't know before or a view point you haven't thought about. I predict some of you will die a little more while reading this, and some of you will live a little more.

IceCreamTruck rules!

I predict that no matter what I say some will find fault. To them I say at least I dare to speak what I know to be true.
Bluedoll
Although anything is possible, it is very probable that May 21, 2011 will not be a doomsday as .. it has been scheduled that,

Oprah Winfrey's, “It's the last year, judge” last broadcast, will be May 25, 2011 and Ellen DeGeneres today confirmed it with a dance.
IceCreamTruck
Bluedoll wrote:
Although anything is possible, it is very probable that May 21, 2011 will not be a doomsday as .. it has been scheduled that,

Oprah Winfrey's, “It's the last year, judge” last broadcast, will be May 25, 2011 and Ellen DeGeneres today confirmed it with a dance.

Well laid plans of mice and men won't stop the end of the world, but it's comforting to know that some wise people are scheduling events after the projected end of the world.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I really can't fathom how people fall for this... especially to the point of spending their life savings in anticipation of it. Especially considering how this is the guy's second prediction of the end of the world... (The first was deemed to have been mistaken because of 'mathematical errors', after the date passed without any apocalypses.)

B- My horse
Even without the prediction, my money would still be on the horse - depending of course how the IQ is measured. Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
I thought the scientific community said there is no alignment on Dec 25th 2012, so I'll ask anyone who says otherwise to provide references. There is no significant alignment during that time according to the astrological community. The "Astrologers" have a different idea, but they always do... what we keep waiting for from their collective predictions is actual scientific data to give evidence to their claims, and so far there has been none.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

B- My horse
Even without the prediction, my money would still be on the horse - depending of course how the IQ is measured. Twisted Evil

Horses intelligence is measured in carrots... with your average horse being in the range of 5 to 6 carrots. Humans typically measure to being somewhere between 20 to 25 carrots, but anyone who makes a prediction about the future without evidence is said to have a Horse IQ of 1 radish, which basically puts their intelligence on the level of a stalk of celery, or a blade of grass. (Yes, I made all this up just to make you smile!)
quex
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I thought the scientific community said there is no alignment on Dec 25th 2012, so I'll ask anyone who says otherwise to provide references. There is no significant alignment during that time according to the astrological community. The "Astrologers" have a different idea, but they always do... what we keep waiting for from their collective predictions is actual scientific data to give evidence to their claims, and so far there has been none.

In western astrology, we're in an alignment right now. In middle eastern versions, we've been in alignment since 1991. Brian Williams told me this on a broadcast nightly news program, and it shames me to think that the subject was even considered mentionable by members of my own species. ;_;
quex
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me!

What is B) ocalhoun's horse! What do I win?!? That was easy!

So is predicting the future!!! Here check this out --

I predict that many will predict the future and be wrong. I predict that this will continue to happen every time there is some kind of symmetry in the current date, or changing of an age, or freakish alignment of the planets. I predict that mankind will never overcome some of their population falling victim to those who proclaim to know the future, and so I am more accurately forecasting the future for you now so you will worship IceCreamTruck!

IceCreamTruck is wise!

I predict that many will starve, and there will be disease. Some will triumph while others will fail, and yet everyone will feel much pain in life, tribulation, and in success. I predict that many will fall victim to the idea that money will make them happy, and yet ironically they will spend most of their lives without much of it. I predict that people will waste their lives focusing on things they cannot change, instead of focusing on the things that they can change, and as a result depression and disillusionment will be epidemic.

IceCreamTruck is love!

I predict that some will read and learn. I predict that some will grow stronger, and rise up to become the leaders of a new age. I predict that they will learn things that we never imagined, and go places we can only dream. I predict that the default of "world peace" will return, and the short lived chaos of our coming into our time will not endure.

IceCreamTruck is happiness!

I predict we will continue to redefine wealth, and happiness. I predict that we will become more and more similar, and former political/racial lines will dissolve through the ages as we gain understanding of ourselves and the magnificent universe around us. I predict we will jump further, swim faster/further, run faster/further, and we will continue to improve on the accomplishments of the generations that came before us.

IceCreamTruck is not like those other creepy cult leaders!

I predict that some of you will reject my words, and some of you will accept them. I predict some of you will find my words too simple, while others find that the way I say something helps you further understand something you didn't know before or a view point you haven't thought about. I predict some of you will die a little more while reading this, and some of you will live a little more.

IceCreamTruck rules!

I predict that no matter what I say some will find fault. To them I say at least I dare to speak what I know to be true.

We are building a religion, we are building it bigger;
We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes~

CAKE and I both appreciate your post. :D
quex
ocalhoun wrote:

B- My horse

Can I bet on your horse to beat the guy to the rapture? 'Cause I'm pretty convinced if the Rapture is real, only animals will be snatched up to paradise. Heaven is going to be full to the gills with faithful, loving dogs. Probably the gentler horses, too. Cats and pet spiders can to straight to hell for all I care. XD

(Actually I was just bitten by a cat, so my opinion might be a little biased.)
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
but anyone who makes a prediction about the future without evidence is said to have a Horse IQ of 1 radish,

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to the guy who made the prediction.

I presume that 'decoding' a prediction and -- more importantly -- convincing others to believe you requires a good deal of intelligence.

The one whose intelligence I doubt is the one who believes the prediction, despite the lack of evidence and prior examples that failed. (Both from the same predictor, and from a long litany of previous ones.)
IceCreamTruck
quex wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

In western astrology, we're in an alignment right now. In middle eastern versions, we've been in alignment since 1991. Brian Williams told me this on a broadcast nightly news program, and it shames me to think that the subject was even considered mentionable by members of my own species. ;_;

BTW, can you sight psychical evidence of alignment? All I've heard from the scientific astronomy crew is that there are no significant alignments during the next few years. I think the first considerable alignment comes as late as 2014, or something like that. I was really interested in what the scientific community is saying about 2012. They aren't saying much, but what I did gather that predictions of alignments during this time are inaccurate. You also don't have to take my word for it... look up any date you want on sites like this = planet positions

I'm glad you liked my predictions -- they will all come true many times over for some of them. To me the ability of someone to predict the future rest firmly on their ability to get it right as well. If someone predicts the future, and they get it wrong then they get no second chances from me... like the guy who predicted the latest end of the world. He said his math was wrong, so it's ending at a later time... sure, WTF ever. Normally people check their math before making such drastic claims.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, and I'll offer to write your horoscope too! Smile
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:

I presume that 'decoding' a prediction and -- more importantly -- convincing others to believe you requires a good deal of intelligence.

The one whose intelligence I doubt is the one who believes the prediction, despite the lack of evidence and prior examples that failed. (Both from the same predictor, and from a long litany of previous ones.)

This is pretty wise. If someone is jerking everyone's chain should we really blame them? If people are that gullible is it his fault? In a free country should we stop his free speech but encourage others? I think it's funny that people take argument without evidence as truth. Sure this makes him like the David guy in Waco, TX that started a cult, but we shouldn't hold that against him, should we? Just let him build and army and ruin people's lives by convincing them to spend their life savings... all we need is more dependent people for our growing dependent population.
c'tair
I've even seen these funny ads in the subways in NYC. It's funny that even normal people get uneasy when they hear about the end of the world -- they think that if there are paper ads for it then there must a grain of truth to it or something.

Myself, I just can't wait to see what happens with the believers when nothing happens. I mean they will all expect rapture or some crazy stuff and here they will be... going to work as usual, cursing the same as$hole drivers as usual, eating their usual dinner...

The only thing I'm afraid of is that some people might go a bit whack and hurt other people or do crazy stuff like quit their jobs, sell everything and expect to be raptured. Then when nothing happens, they will be mad with grief that they lost all their stuff for naught.
IceCreamTruck
This is the reason the world is ending? Oh brother....

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0518/Judgment-Day-May-21-When-will-the-world-actually-end wrote:

Camping says that because Jesus was crucified on Friday, April 1, 33 AD, and that it takes exactly 365.2422 days for the earth to complete one orbit of the sun, we can conclude that, on April 1, 2011, Jesus was crucified exactly 722,449.07 days ago. Add 51 days to this to get to May 1, and you get a figure of 722,500.07.

Round that down to the nearest integer, and you get 722,500, which is an important number because it is the square of 5 x 17 x 10 . The number five, says Camping, represents atonement. Ten represents completeness, and 17 represents heaven. Multiply all these together – twice – and you get 722,500. Therefore the apocalypse kicks off on Saturday, May 21.

Are you kidding me? Let's just say I'm loosing faith in humanity if ANYONE believes this crap. If you spent your life savings, then I say this... "a fool and his money are soon parted". Don't worry, money isn't your thing anyway under that logic.

So, just so we're absolutely clear: we're supposed to believe that 5 is atonement, 10 is a complete number, and 17 represents heaven? Further more, we are supposed to by into multiplying these numbers, and then multiplying them by their product again is also supposed to hold some significance? We're supposed to use this crazy man's math to know something that the son of god said that he doesn't even know and cannot be known? OMG... assumption, assumption, assumption, and follow it all up with a glass of blasphemy to his own faith and messiah, as it's not my faith at all... I just know what he should believe if he subscribes to that faith.

I'm going to make a prediction, and I wish I could say you can put a gun to my head and pull the trigger if I am wrong, but that's pointless because if I am wrong then the world does end. I don't have anything to offer anyone if it does end, but I stand firmly beside my prediction that Camping is a magnet for stupid people only. If you subscribe to anything he says then you are an idiot. I wish there was a nicer way to put that, but it's the truth. I'm trying to be a good friend to everyone here by presenting the facts to help everyone, and I wish that none of you were idiots, and that's the only choice I would make for you guys if I was given absolute power -- I would make everyone really knowledgeable and wise. I don't have to convince people of what I believe in, as intelligence guides people to have almost identical beliefs about the world. I try to up my own intelligence all the time even though I don't have universal power at my disposal.
IceCreamTruck
BTW, we all need to laugh in his face if Camping says his math was wrong again, because there's only one flaw in his math and that's that using his described method april 1 2011 is counted twice, so if anything mathematical error is present, then the world will end a day after ... on the 22nd, but predicting it will end on the 21st, and it actually ending on the 22nd, is an excusable math error.

If the world doesn't end it's his beliefs that are wrong. His believe that 5 is an atonement number, 10 is a complete number, and 17 is heaven's number are all suspect, as well as the significance of multiplying them all together, and then multiplying them by there product again. These are Camping's beliefs that are wrong if the world doesn't end, not his math. If his math is really wrong, then end of the world happens a day later.... not a huge mathematical mistake.... certainly somewhat understandable given the calculations he is attempting.
rjraaz
Hey that means i have to stopped preparing for my exam that will be on 21st May,

and enjoy my life's last moments with my family.
deanhills
Two days ago. Wonder what the moon will be like on 21 May - probably full?

This seems to be a fun approach to judgment day:
inuyasha
I bet almost everyone simply looks on such an estimate as a joke. Four hours (I'm in China) before the truth comes out. Very Happy
Predictions about end of the world always turn out ridiculous. But they always get wings, spreading.
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
I bet almost everyone simply looks on such an estimate as a joke. Four hours (I'm in China) before the truth comes out. Very Happy
Predictions about end of the world always turn out ridiculous. But they always get wings, spreading.
Right. The 21st has come and gone, and not a tremor around here. Guess our next "dead"line is 21 December 2012? Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
. Guess our next "dead"line is 21 December 2012? Twisted Evil

No, we don't have that long!
Don't you realize? Nearly every calendar in the world ends on 31 December 2011! We're DOOMED! Millions, perhaps billions, of calendars all agree on the exact same date! There can be no doubt; there's no way that could be a coincidence!
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
Don't you realize? Nearly every calendar in the world ends on 31 December 2011! We're DOOMED! Millions, perhaps billions, of calendars all agree on the exact same date! There can be no doubt; there's no way that could be a coincidence!

Shocked

Mind = blown.
deanhills

silverdown
So hows your May 22nd? Anyone have any worldy issues, lost of housing due to brittle groundor engolf you vehicles?.. no? ok good day then...
LittleBlackKitten
So much for THAT idea.

"For none shall know the day or the hour of my return..." sayeth the Lord. So, that rules out December 12th 2011.

But, if I slept through the whole apocalypse thing, and this is heaven, I sure got screwed.
Bikerman
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
So much for THAT idea.

"For none shall know the day or the hour of my return..." sayeth the Lord. So, that rules out December 12th 2011.

But, if I slept through the whole apocalypse thing, and this is heaven, I sure got screwed.

Well they were in a long tradition of millenialists (folk who beleive something apocalyptic will happen soon, at somewhere around the turn of the millenium. The early Christians were this sort - as was Jesus himself. The 'return' of God is generally portrayed and imagined to be imminent - within the lifetime of the audience.
menino
I think the end of the world thing will be like the boy who cried wolf.
People will predict dates, years, and signs, but when it happens, most of us will be none the wiser.
Better to be prepared and not dash your hopes.... i.e. be good to people... especially to me Very Happy.

lol @ lilblack kitten's sarcastic comment.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Well they were in a long tradition of millenialists (folk who beleive something apocalyptic will happen soon, at somewhere around the turn of the millenium. The early Christians were this sort - as was Jesus himself. The 'return' of God is generally portrayed and imagined to be imminent - within the lifetime of the audience.
You sound so comfortable with Christianity in this post Bikerman, I could easily have mistaken you for a Christian?
Navigator
I am glad I didn't go to the laundry saturday after all, it would've sucked not to have clean clothes for the rapture.
LittleBlackKitten
Ohhhh I so wish this place had a "like" button like facebook. Your comment would get a like, Navigator.
c'tair
Well, I'm just happy because I can still get my tickets worth of flying and going to concerts. I just need June, July and a bit of August, after that the world may end.
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
Well, I'm just happy because I can still get my tickets worth of flying and going to concerts. I just need June, July and a bit of August, after that the world may end.
What concerts would you be interested in, and would they be in Poland? Very Happy
c'tair
deanhills wrote:
c'tair wrote:
What concerts would you be interested in, and would they be in Poland? Very Happy

I got tickets for one KMFDM concert here in NYC and I also got my tickets to go to Poland for several weeks and I just may sell a kidney and buy tickets for the Big 4 also in NYC. Thanks for remembering my posts Very Happy
tzabaot

The last day is gonna happen until 3 things are accomplish, not before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUCC48Ws4yg
Helios
If for some strange reason anyone wishes to reopen this thread - PM me or another moderator.

-closed- due to irrelevance.