FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Brand Based Teams!

IceCreamTruck
OK, I want to know what computer brand (make/model) you are currently on, but don't just post your computer brand without reading the thread because we are creating teams here!

Rules:
1) Figure out how many team members you have, and announce the total number of the team you join because of your computer make. I have a Toshiba, so Team Toshiba has 1 member
2) Sub team yourself within that team: I run Windows 7, so Team Toshiba/Win7 Group
3) Subclass yourself .... business, gaming, personal computer. This is a PC

Anyone who does not declare the total number of team members on their team will be disqualified from... everything! :O)

Anyone who does not declare the total number of OS group members will also be disqualified from anything fun! :O)

Anyone who does not class their computer will be forever sorry that they did not at least venture a guess!

** Please don't just bottom post your make and model. Participate in this thread!
SonLight
Most of the computers I've had were assembled with cpu x, motherboard y, case z etc. so I would probably not be eligible to be on one of your teams unless there were roll-your-own, cpu type, or motherboard brand teams. I have long considered computers to be commodities. Even with my first 8086 machine, a clone of the original IBM XT (PC with hard drive added) with a few improvements, I don't remember the brand name and it was the collection of parts within it that was important.

I don't mean to belittle your idea at all. Certainly the various Macintosh machines have always been quite distinctive in design as well as brand name, at least in part because no one has made a comparable clone.

Edit:
Currently running Ubuntu Linux 10.10.
IceCreamTruck
SonLight wrote:
Most of the computers I've had were assembled with cpu x, motherboard y, case z etc. so I would probably not be eligible to be on one of your teams unless there were roll-your-own, cpu type, or motherboard brand teams. I have long considered computers to be commodities. Even with my first 8086 machine, a clone of the original IBM XT (PC with hard drive added) with a few improvements, I don't remember the brand name and it was the collection of parts within it that was important.

I don't mean to belittle your idea at all. Certainly the various Macintosh machines have always been quite distinctive in design as well as brand name, at least in part because no one has made a comparable clone.

Samsung has the equivalent to "mac book air" and it's thinner. It's not hard to mimic mac, but you don't get the customer support or their particular OS! Wink I've never opted for any of their products, but then again I don't need any technical support usually.

I'm totally cool with a "roll-your-own" category and you have now named it! yay! I hope to exit the Toshiba group and join you in the "roll-your-own" crew here in a minute. I'm building an awesome, water-cooled, gaming system. It will be so sweet, and very brand independent as you are now.

What OS are you running? Linux, Windwoes, or Apple OS...hit! Smile

Also, how would you classify your computer? Good new/fast hardware, and little graphic memory = Business machine. Pimp graphics and speed = gaming machine. Well rounded but not leading the field in any respect = Personal Computer.

I classify myself as Personal Computer because I have a laptop, and even though it's 64bit, tons of RAM (I think 8gig), and dual core processor, it's still not quite a business class machine, and it's definitely not a gaming system. It's better than my work laptop, but doesn't classify the same to me as my work laptop had pretty good hardware (4 years ago), but the graphics capability makes me want to cry.

PS. don't worry about being excluded from any of the fun, because despite not completely following the rules you brought up a valid point/question that wasn't formerly addressed, and you are participating.
Ankhanu
15" 2011 MacBook Pro i7 2.2GHz, running MacOS 10.6 (and Windows 7 Pro)... and I guess using your definition, it's a personal computer? I use it for pretty much everything from gaming to business/academics. There's really not much that this system can't handle at the moment.

I'm a team of me.
IceCreamTruck
Yep so far we have...

1 Team Toshiba/Win7/PC
1 Roll-your-own/Unknown/PC
1 Team Apple/MacOS/PC

Soon we should do a hacking competition or something. I should set up a computer that people can hack! Smile I'll lock it down with 512 bit encryption first though! Haha, the games don't have to be easy!