FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Logic Problems!

Who commited the crime?
The Cook
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Maid
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
The Newspaper Reporter
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

foumy6

Just to start I have gotten Bondings permission to do this! Don't believe me ask him!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How this is going to work is I am going to start with the first logic problem and then you will vote for the answer on the poll you think is right and then if you have any logic problems of your own post them! because after I give the first I'm not going to post anymore unless I have to the rest I will pick out from one you have submitted.

The only thing that I ask with that is that you do not vote until that question is done.
Also do not post the answer of the current question or any that have already been submitted! I am capable to find the answer myself, but if you dont trust me PM me a logic problem you have with the answer.

Then after every week or so I will post the correct answer with all the percentages for all the answers then the new question will be posted!
Note: this is not your traditional idea of a logic problem!
Please just take your best guess! your not going to gain anything from cheating no one will know who voted for what so its not worth it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, lets get this started:
I am quoting this for the sake of it comming from a book.

LOGIC PROBLEM #1

Quote:

Once upon a time, there was a round castle. In it lived a king, a queen, and a princess. Then one day the princess disappeared. There were 3 suspects. And one of them committed the crime. The suspects were the cook, the maid, and the newspaper reporter. The king questioned each of them. First he went to the maid. "Where were you when my princess was stolen?"he asked. "I was cleaning the corners," replied the maid. Then he went to the cook. "Where were you when my princess was stolen?" he asked. "I was preparing the dishes,"the cook replied. Then he went to the newspaper reporter. "Where were you when my princess was stolen?"he asked. "I was interviewing the queen," the newspaper reporter replied. Who committed the crime?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And......Go!
truespeed
I don't think this will work as the problem is already on and solved by searching google.
Nameless
Also, I don't know if 'spot the contradiction' should really count as a logic puzzle ... especially since what I'm assuming is the intended contradiction in this case should really, really not be. (All I'll say is: rooms, yeah.)
gh0stface
The first sentence is a HUGE clue.

No need to google the answer. ;o
_AVG_
Yup. Remember to analyze every detail. It's quite easy then ...

Anyway, I think this kind of topic is a great idea! Looking forward to more logic problems ... Very Happy
Bluedoll
Is this a logical game?

What crime?
Laughing
tingkagol
Here's an elementary one:
Quote:
You have a basket containing ten apples. You have ten friends, who each desire an apple. You give each of your friends one apple.

After a few minutes each of your friends has one apple each, yet there is an apple remaining in the basket.

How?

Razz
tingkagol
One of my favorites:
Quote:
Cannibals ambush a safari in the jungle and capture three men. The cannibals give the men a single chance to escape uneaten.

The captives are lined up in order of height, and are tied to stakes. The man in the rear can see the backs of his two friends, the man in the middle can see the back the man in front, and the man in front cannot see anyone. The cannibals show the men five hats. Three of the hats are black and two of the hats are white.

Blindfolds are then placed over each man's eyes and a hat is placed on each man's head. The two hats left over are hidden. The blindfolds are then removed and it is said to the men that if one of them can guess what color hat he is wearing they can all leave unharmed.

The man in the rear who can see both of his friends' hats but not his own says, "I don't know". The middle man who can see the hat of the man in front, but not his own says, "I don't know". The front man who cannot see ANYBODY'S hat says "I know!"

How did he know the color of his hat and what color was it?
IceCreamTruck
The first logic question can only be missed by non-detail oriented people. I'm not saying their methods are wrong, but detail people don't miss these kinds of things.

I think the apple question is going to have an answer that hurts. I just feel like I'm about to be blindsided by some yuck yuck punch line on that one.

The third question is actually quite fun! It may seem obvious to some, but the answer is a simple progression where uncertainty is a point from which you can reverse engineer the answer. I think I got it, but not totally positive about it. At least I wasn't ever able to guess for sure the right hat, but I have the probable answer... i think. haha!
Nameless
The first logic question can only be answered by people who for some reason believe that CASTLES HAVE NO INTERIOR WALLS what. Not getting over that.

The second question has a 'correct' answer which isn't unreasonable, but the problem is vague enough in the details that there are probably dozens of logically sound answers that are 'incorrect'. The answer is not, for example, that you were holding an apple outside of the basket to begin with, or that in the unaccounted for 'few minutes' you punched one person and now you only have nine friends.

The third one is actually okay, in terms of there being a having a clear process you can work through to get the answer. Even then, adding in the fluff about cannibals gives it a few third-option style answers. (I mean, the captives are going to be eaten anyway, the last guy is going to take a guess regardless of whether he actually knows or not.)
gh0stface
Nameless wrote:
The first logic question can only be answered by people who for some reason believe that CASTLES HAVE NO INTERIOR WALLS what. Not getting over that.

You may want to re-read the statements provided by the suspects. Wink

I'm still racking my brains regarding the other two riddles that were provided tingkagol. For the cannibal one, I can't decide if the man behind the first two men is the tall guy or short guy since they lined them up by height...
saratdear
gh0stface wrote:
I can't decide if the man behind the first two men is the tall guy or short guy since they lined them up by height...

The tall guy, because the question say he can see both of his friends' hats.

Yes, a short guy can try to look and all that, but that sort of thing is out of here...

The apple one is pretty simple, but had me tied up when I first heard it.
The cannibals one is a bit more tough. For a hint, remember that each guy is helped by the answer of the others.

At least I think I've got it right...
IceCreamTruck
I am undoubtedly over-thinking the apples. Ok, so you have ten friends -- that makes 11 people involved. You give 1 of 10 apples to 1 of 10 people, and when you are done you have no apples -- not one.

I don't get it -- there aren't even enough apples for you to have one! Smile
IceCreamTruck
I'll give little hints! The guys in a row are all lined up so they can see the person in front... not so they see each others backs... besides if they were shorter they could just look up. that's not the trick.

The trick is that the first guy would have known what color his hat was if both the guys in front had white hats... figure from there. that's kinda a big clue.
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
The trick is that the first guy would have known what color his hat was if both the guys in front had white hats... figure from there. that's kinda a big clue.

That's what I did...considering each option and eliminating.

And the apple question - think about ALL the things you started with...lol I don't know how to give a clue to this without giving too much away. Smile
IceCreamTruck
it just doesn't make sense. 2 friends, makes you and another person. If you have ten friends then that's you and 10 people making 11. If you have nine friends then everything works out... for you to get an apple, not 10. It should be like this if the trickery I suspect is the answer "There are ten friends who each want an apple. You give one of 10 apples to each of your friends, and have one left over. how?". If you have ten friends, then there is 11 people... I don't care how you slice that.

So the logical answer to me is you miscounted the number of apples.
gh0stface
IceCreamTruck wrote:

But what if the men in front of him both had black hats or one had a white hat and the other a black hat?

So a few scenarios that come to mind are something like this.

Tall Guy (Black hat) -> Medium Guy (White hat) -> Short Guy (Black hat).

Or

Tall Guy (White Hat) -> Medium Guy (Black Hat) -> Short Guy (White Hat).

Or

Tall Guy (White Hat) -> Medium Guy (White Hat) -> Short Guy (Black Hat).

Or

Tall Guy (Black Hat) -> Medium Guy (Black Hat) -> Short Guy (Black Hat).

If the scenario above is the case, there's a 50/50 chance of guessing at whether he's wearing a white hat or black hat for the short guy since he can't see behind him.

Or am I missing something here?
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
"There are ten friends who each want an apple. You give one of 10 apples to each of your friends, and have one left over. how?".

The question doesn't say you have one left over. That's a big clue.

gh0stface wrote:
Or am I missing something here?

The medium guy knows the reason the tall guy said "I don't know". Him and the guy in front don't both have white hats. He can see what the guy in front has.

Think about why he too said "I don't know" and what the short guy can deduce from that.
_AVG_
The cannibal problem was a good one. I could only get it after reading the hints though ...

I still can't fully understand the apple problem however ... if one apple is left in the basket, that means that nine had to be removed (because there were initially 10) ... but if each of 10 friends has an apple then I must have removed 10 apples ... hence, I only have 9 friends? (nevertheless, the problem isn't worded properly in any case)
catscratches
[spoiler]^ Or, you never removed the last apple from the basket and simply gave the basket containing the last apple to one of your friends.[/spoiler]
saratdear
Here's another one:

Quote:
Three men in a cafe order a meal the total cost of which is $15. They each contribute $5. The waiter takes the money to the chef who recognizes the three as friends and asks the waiter to return $5 to the men.

The waiter is not only poor at mathematics but dishonest and instead of going to the trouble of splitting the $5 between the three he simply gives them $1 each and pockets the remaining $2 for himself.

Now, each of the men effectively paid $4, the total paid is therefore $12. Add the $2 in the waiters pocket and this comes to $14.....where has the other $1 gone from the original $15?

Had me tied up, read the solution, not satisfied.
IceCreamTruck
Just start thinking what would make each person wearing hats know what hat he had on?

If the first guy saw two white hats, then he'd know his hat was black. Him saying I don't know means something... what does it mean!?!?! Same for the second guy.

I believe the answer is a probability. I can't work it so the guy in front "knows" what hat he's got on, but I can get him to the point of having the likely answer. It's all up to him though, cause all they need is one right answer, and two people couldn't answer.

I think half of you that ended up "guessing" would get eaten by the cannibals! Twisted Evil
Nameless
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I think half of you that ended up "guessing" would get eaten by the cannibals! Twisted Evil

Only 2/5ths would be eaten by cannibals. White hat is a sucker bet. Razz
gh0stface
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Just start thinking what would make each person wearing hats know what hat he had on?

If the first guy saw two white hats, then he'd know his hat was black. Him saying I don't know means something... what does it mean!?!?! Same for the second guy.

Had to google the solution with a better explanation then yours. Once I read a different explanation, I understood what you meant.

I guess I was thinking a little to into it.
tingkagol
saratdear wrote:
Here's another one:

Quote:
Three men in a cafe order a meal the total cost of which is $15. They each contribute $5. The waiter takes the money to the chef who recognizes the three as friends and asks the waiter to return $5 to the men.

The waiter is not only poor at mathematics but dishonest and instead of going to the trouble of splitting the $5 between the three he simply gives them $1 each and pockets the remaining $2 for himself.

Now, each of the men effectively paid $4, the total paid is therefore $12. Add the $2 in the waiters pocket and this comes to $14.....where has the other $1 gone from the original $15?

Had me tied up, read the solution, not satisfied.

*spoilers*
Let's see...
  • Initial payment was $15.
  • Owner receives $10, instructs waiter to give back $5 to the customers.
  • Waiter pockets $2, gives $3 back to the customers.
  • Customer paid $12 total.
The $2 out of the $12 is the one pocketed by the waiter. You don't have to "add" the $2 on top of the $12 because it's already included in the $12. The $3 difference was returned to the customers.

Smile I knew something was really fishy with that last statement.
missdixy
IceCreamTruck wrote:
The first logic question can only be missed by non-detail oriented people. I'm not saying their methods are wrong, but detail people don't miss these kinds of things.

Unfortunately, I am one of these non-detail oriented people. It's actually annoying and I hate it but it's hard to change it! It's just the way my mind works (or rather, doesn't)! Sad

Anyway, I got this problem right only after reading the clue that someone posted about the first sentence being a big clue. I think from now on I'll make sure to make my guess/vote on the answer before reading other people's posts or comments on the thread Embarassed