FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft to buy Skype for about $7 Billion

menino
menino
deanhills
Menino, looks as though the price has changed considerably since our last posting .... they have to be at the negotiation stage still ..... Twisted Evil
Quote:
Microsoft plans to buy Internet phone service Skype for $8.5 billion in cash, a rich price as it seeks to regain ground on growing rivals such as Google.
Source: CNBC.com
robertoilidio
Hey friends,

What do you think about the continuity of skype for linux, android and mac after this aquisition?
And what about the prices per minute?
deanhills
robertoilidio wrote:
And what about the prices per minute?
I'm unaware of any change, is there any? I'd think that it would be the same, as if Microsoft would mess with it, it would be easy for someone else to start a Skype business.
menino
Yes deanhills, the price has changed Laughing from $7 billion to $8.5 billion.
It looks as if Microsoft wants to take over the voip market, and probably integrate it into all windows platforms, including the mobile versions.
I hope they don't start a licensing fee for using the skype program altogether. Shocked
deanhills
menino wrote:
Yes deanhills, the price has changed Laughing from $7 billion to $8.5 billion.
It looks as if Microsoft wants to take over the voip market, and probably integrate it into all windows platforms, including the mobile versions.
I hope they don't start a licensing fee for using the skype program altogether. Shocked
You know, I'm much more worried about Government and the Telecommunications companies than Microsoft. Our local internet provider in the UAE, Etisalat has made it as difficult as possible for people to get into Skype. I think we are now able to register with Skype, but at one stage we could only register Skype outside the country. Once registered, we could use it in the UAE. I guess you don't have probs where you are as there is a healthy competition among a long list of providers? Very Happy
tech
i hope M$ will keep on developing the linux Software
would be very bad für the Android
gverutes
i think this is bad for Skype. But agree that someone will come up with something better if they start charging for comp to comp calls.
menino
Well, the last news I read about this acquisition was that Microsoft will own about 65% of Skype, and Skype will be a separate division of Microsoft, so I doubt that the Skype software will change immediately... but I think in course of time, Microsoft will eventually influence the product in some way - either integrate it with some existing product, like Messenger, so that users of Skype and Messenger Live are kind of integrated or can communicate with each other better.

Yes Deanhills, I know about the Etisalat in Dubai blocking Skype, as has Kuwait done it as well, since the Ministry is losing money from it. I doubt that they will open the site though very soon.