FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista Local Access Only

Dennise
We have a two year old Dell PC that is unhappily running Vista-64 bit.

My primary V-64 complaint is it's inconsistent wireless networking performance e.g internet connection dropouts, lockups, and V64's infamous 'local only' WiFi connection with the associated failure to connect to the internet. ALL other NON V64 PCs and other devices on my WiFi network (about 4-5 total) make reliable consistent internet connections with no trouble.

MircoSoft admits to this WiFi connection problem and offers a few V64 fixes. I have implemented these and many many other fix attempts - including firmware updates. At best, the trouble will resolve for a few days, and then give me the dreaded 'local only' connection status. It sometimes takes hours to regain an internet connection by e.g. removing and reinserting the PC's WiFi NW adapter multiple times, rebooting the PC multiple times, rebooting my Netgear router multiple times, replacing my PC's Linksys WiFi adapter with a Netgear WiFi adapter and more. I try these attempts in different sequences that eventually - and randomly - result in reestablishing (temporarily) an internet connection. I have found no pattern in any sequence or approach. Meanwhile, other PCs and devices on my WiFi work just fine. Goggling this problem results in more than one million hits including many many people on forums reporting this same problem.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this nagging problem with out paying MS for yet another buggy OS?