FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista Turkey!

Dennise
We have a fairly new Dell PC running Vista 64 bit. This sorry excuse for an operating system is almost as bad as Windows 95 was in the early PC days. The difference is - because it was a very early OS - W95 had an excuse, while there are no excuses for the crappy OS that Vista 64 is with it's bloated useless features and buggy unreliable operation.

My primary V-64 complaint is it's inconsistent wireless networking performance e.g internet connection dropouts, lockups, and V64's infamous 'local only' WiFi connection with the associated failure to connect to the internet. ALL other NON V64 PCs and other devices on my WiFi network (about 4-5 total) make reliable consistent internet connections with no trouble.

MircoSoft admits to this WiFi connection problem and offers a few V64 fixes. I have implemented these and many many other fix attempts - including firmware updates. At best, the trouble will resolve for a few days, and then give me the dreaded 'local only' connection status. It sometimes takes hours to regain an internet connection by e.g. removing and reinserting the PC's WiFi NW adapter multiple times, rebooting the PC multiple times, rebooting my Netgear router multiple times, replacing my PC's Linksys WiFi adapter with a Netgear WiFi adapter and more. I try these attempts in different sequences that eventually - and randomly - result in reestablishing (temporarily) an internet connection. I have found no pattern in any sequence or approach. Mean while, other PCs and devices on my WiFi work just fine. Goggling this problem results in more than one million hits including many many people on forums reporting this same problem.

This useless Vista-64 turkey must go!

My question is this: has anyone had any success in upgrading V64 to Windows-7? Is this difficult? Will MS do this for free? Is W7 any better? Has anyone had success in downgrading to W-XP (actually my preferred resolution)?

I'm about ready to abandon MS all together and either learn Linux or switch to a Mac.

Suggestions?
Aredon
I've ran V64 of vista on several laptops and virtual machines, and I can safely say I have never seen this "local only" bug be the operating system. Pretty much every time its either your internet connection or your router, or better still, your wireless card drivers!

I'd be curious to see links to this issue that you claim Microsoft admits to. Seems more likely to be a driver or router issue.

In any case you're unlikely to find any solace in windows 7 (NT version 7.1) if you don't like windows vista (NT version 7.0) (for whatever baseless reasons Smile). It's essentially the same OS with a cleaner optimized interface. If you're having driver problems now, you'll still have them in windows 7.

Also I find it curious that you don't mention checking your system for viruses that are well known to cause these issues as well.

Order of operations for internet troubleshooting:
1.) Router
2.) Modem
3.) Software issues (Drivers, viruses, whatnot)
4.) Check device manager when the issue starts, a flag indicates a hardware issue with the card.
5.) Check card in another computer (with another OS)
6.) Assume OS bug (highly unlikely)

I would also mention that from personal experience dell motherboards tend to be junky, and it's very possible that the motherboard has a faulty connection.
Dennise
Aredon,

Thanks for your reply.

You can Google this problem using key words like Vista local only, and you will get well over a million hits containing descriptions of and long standing frustration with this Vista OS bug.

Regarding MSoft's ownership of the bug and their "fix", here is the MS link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233.

There you will see this:

This issue occurs because of a difference in design between Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Specifically, in Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some routers and some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot process the DHCP discovery packets.

To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. To fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

I tried the "fix" and it didn't work.

If I only knew of a good WiFi router that would handle the way Vista uses the 'Broadcast Flag', I'd go out and buy one!

We have had many other issues with Vista, but this one is just unacceptable and is ruining our productivity.