FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does travelling too much has a toll on Health ?

bukaida
I use to travel over 100 KM/ day to reach and comeback from office. I am doing this in public transport like bus and train for the last five years. Although I take my lunch and water from home, I am suffering regularly from peptic disorder. Also I do not take any outside food or drink during travel. Recently I am also suffering from tiredness and short term memory loss. I have gone through a complete medical checkup but nothing was found. Doctors say that it is due to the journey itself.Can anyone suggest what shall I do, as I cannot sacrifice/change the job right now. I am the only earning member of my family.
coolclay
Can't you live in a closer proximity to your job, I mean, that's an awful long way to travel everyday, and I am sure it isn't healthy at all. I don't know if it is the cause of such awful things but it certainly doesn't help anything!
c'tair
It depends on the mode of travel. If you're going 100km by car there and back, cursing at other drivers and generally being very angry then yeah, it's gonna have a bad effect. If you're on a crowded train where you can't sit or breathe, it's also gonna be bad. Unless you can actually relax even a little bit on your commute, then it may be causing some problems. Can you, for example, put some earphones on and read a good book on your way to work?
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
I use to travel over 100 KM/ day to reach and comeback from office. I am doing this in public transport like bus and train for the last five years. Although I take my lunch and water from home, I am suffering regularly from peptic disorder. Also I do not take any outside food or drink during travel. Recently I am also suffering from tiredness and short term memory loss. I have gone through a complete medical checkup but nothing was found. Doctors say that it is due to the journey itself.Can anyone suggest what shall I do, as I cannot sacrifice/change the job right now. I am the only earning member of my family.
Is it possible to relax during your travels? Maybe you are already doing that? Like using earphones with very nice music? Although I can imagine the people around you must be stressed as well, and everyone together must be adding to one another's stress?

I think travelling long distances to work using public transport can be hazardous from contracting viruses etc. point of view. Being stressed must be bad for the immune system as well and lower one's resistance to diseases. For me there are only two things you can do, which is to change your thinking about the travelling into that of liking it (brainwashing) and maybe even liking it, or perhaps negotiate different working hours with your employer so that you can travel when it is less hectic?
bukaida
Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions. I teach in an engineering college, so the college hours are fixed.There is no way I can change it. I cannot change my dwelling place as my family lives there. The travelling is mixed crowded, that is during morning while going, it is comfotable and least crowded. Also I eventually developed an understanding with the regular co-passengers in the train, so I know who will get down in the next station.Hence usualy I get a sit within a couple of stations. But after reaching home at 8 PM, when my 4 year old son comes with a large smile and a red ball in his hand asking to play with him, I literaly feel crying at my situation.It makes him think, dad doesnot love me.But I am helpless.
Regarding relax, I think the best way is to share my situation with frihost community and have a feeling that, yes, I have some guys who feel for me. This gives me enough boost to start tomorrow's journey. Thank you guys.
magnustoday
you're also at risk of developing deep vein thrombosis