FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu Partition

tamilparks
i am unable to partition the hard disk in Ubuntu, i dont know how to partition shall i know how can i partition?
Naldo
You can use gparted to partition the harddisk.

If you run Ubuntu from the harddisk you trying to partition, then you cant partition the harddisk(partition) from where ubuntu is running.

I would make a LIVE Ubuntu-Flashdrive from an .iso image or CD.
Boot this Flashdrive, then install gparted.
Now you can partition the whole harddisk.

btw.
you have an fully functional emergency System on the Flashdrive.

(gparted is not the only partitiontool)

good luck
Naldo
tamilparks
no root is set like that one message is coming

i am partitioning manually
Fire Boar
Instead of "I want to partition", it's usually (read: always) a good idea to have at least some idea of how you want your disk to look. Here are the rules.

- You can have up to 4 Primary partitions. No more. These are numbered 1 to 4, e.g. /dev/sda1, ..., /dev/sda4.
- Any of your Primary Partitions may be an Extended Partition, which is a container for zero or more Logical Partitions.
- You may have any number of Logical Partitions, but only within an Extended Partition. These are numbered 5 onwards, e.g. /dev/sda5, etc.
- Each partition must have a filesystem. The most common Windows filesystem is NTFS, the most common Linux one nowadays is ext4. You may also want a swap partition in case you run out of memory.
- Each non-swap partition may be mounted on your filesystem somewhere.
- At least one partition must be the root partition: mounted on /.
- The partition containing the /boot directory cannot be a Windows NTFS partition.

Note: Linux can read and write to NTFS, but Windows cannot read any of the Linux partitions, it only supports NTFS and FAT.
flamepjlh
tamilparks wrote:
i am unable to partition the hard disk in Ubuntu, i dont know how to partition shall i know how can i partition?

I'd like to choose a free space to let the system partition itself.          

It always works. You may try that.                  
Laughing Laughing
portoskt
ubuntu have very good help documentation... you should check it
tamilparks
portoskt wrote:
ubuntu have very good help documentation... you should check it

i checked it but its not working for me i think its not understood for me.
flamepjlh
tamilparks wrote:

Just choose to use the entire free disk space if you don't know how to partition it.           

You need two partition at least: ext4 mount at / and swap space.                 
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
sanalskumar
tamilparks wrote:

First of all, i would want to ask, what is the scenario at which you are partitioning your hard drive with Ubuntu? Is it an Ubuntu fresh installation or a re-partitioning from within a functional Ubuntu system?

With the first case, Ubuntu has a fully functional user-friendly graphical partitioning tool (I prefer that one). You can use the entire disk space for partitioning, so that you can use all your disk space from Ubuntu, in-case you are not going to need any data from the existing layout. Things are quite simpler that way. Or you can manually partition the disk as follows...

500 MB for '/boot' (enough, if at all you consider upgrades)
double the size of your RAM for 'swap'.
rest of the space for '/' (or you can have separate partitions for sub directories of root, as you wish)

With the second case, use fdisk or gparted. Refer the following, before you go. http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dapper/man8/fdisk.8.html --> FDISK
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=help-manual&lang=C -->GPARTED

Smile