FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New custom AK for me! (pics)

ocalhoun
My old AK got its receiver smashed, and was deemed unrepairable by the gunsmith. Crying or Very sad (Though, being an AK, it was still capable of firing most of the time! ... Jammed on about every 15th round, not good when using 40rd magazines.)

So, the solution? Get an awesome, new AK!
I started with this:

Which is pretty cool to begin with, but then I had a bit more fun with it;

Added: barrel-mounted front rail, 40rd magazines, folding front grip, laser sight, upper hand-guard rail, and red-dot sight.
Removed: Gas tube cover, old upper handguard

Which gives me THIS:

The bullpup AK does away with the full-stock, and moves the trigger forward, making the whole weapon 7 inches shorter, and somewhat lighter, yet it still has a full-length barrel, and has all the capability of a normal size AK.
Also, since the iron sights had to be replaced anyway for this configuration in order to move them forward and higher, M-16 style peep-sights were installed by the factory. I actually prefer the original AK style sights, but these sights also work okay.
I've heard some reports of the front grips getting overly hot when shooting this rifle... I plan to make that less of an issue by the removal of the front handguard and by wearing gloves.

AK's are very durable, very reliable rifles, and also inexpensive, though their downfall is the limited accuracy. For ranges under 100 yards/meters though, they are generally quite accurate enough to get the job done. This one is a semi-auto copy made by a US company, century arms.

The front rail is used for mounting the laser and the front grip:

The laser is a very nice one that was attached to my old AK, now moved to the new one.
Most laser sights are 5mW in (input) power, but this one is 35mW in output power!
It is extremely bright; can be seen very easily in all but the brightest sunlight, and in the dark, even the beam itself is visible.
(And even in full-brightness sun, it can be used, though it is more difficult then.)

Its position on the rail gives me the ability to use the thumb-switch to turn it on to just use it for a moment, though I can also twist it a bit to have it constant-on.

The front grip compliments this rifle very well, it can be locked into 5 different positions with the push of a button. The flat forward and flat back positions give it a nice, ordinary rifle feel, the angled to front position allows me to put a lot of pressure against it for steady aiming, the straight vertical position is comfortable for quick movement, and the angled to rear position is my favorite; it makes it easy to aim the rifle and hold it up, and I find it to be the most comfortable position.

In order to mount the red-dot sight where I wanted it, I had to install an upper-handguard rail. This turned out to be very difficult to install, and required me modifying the parts a bit, but I finally got it to fit properly, and it works great. Attached to that, is a 45 degree offset rail, to move the sight over to the side, so as to not interfere with the iron sights:

The red-dot sight is a holographic sight with no magnification, so it is very quick and easy to use... Due to optical trickery, the red dot always appears where the bullet will hit, no matter where you move your eye.
Thanks to the clever positioning, I have 3 quick-and-easy to use types of sights that don't interfere with each other at all, and can be switched between very quickly and easily.

The idea behind my choice of and modification of this rifle is to take the AK's viability for short-range engagement, and then build on that... And what might you need most for short-range? The ability to maneuver easily, and acquire targets quickly, since (especially) at short range, speed is the most important thing you can have. The bullpup design gives great maneuverability even in tight spaces, and the addition of a laser and red-dot sights gives three different ways (iron, red-dot, laser) to line up a target, all of which are very fast methods (particularly the red-dot and laser, which don't require lining your eye up with the sights).
So, hopefully, should I ever need to use this in its full capacity, I'll be able to outmaneuver the other guy, and be able to aim and shoot before he does... Even if I'm inside or in dense brush, where full-size rifles can be clumsy.

My next project will be to use one of the hollow grips to make a battery-storage area, since both the laser and the red-dot use (different) batteries. With a storage area, the worry of dead batteries becomes less bothersome, since I'll always have extras close at hand.

Weather permitting, I should be taking it out Sunday to zero in the sights and test it out.
I'll post back again and let everybody know how it goes.
IceCreamTruck
I await your update! This is really cool stuff, and I like all the details you gave!

I want to know what you paid for the basic unit that you are modifying. I figure the sky is the limit on money you can put into modifying it.
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I want to know what you paid for the basic unit that you are modifying. I figure the sky is the limit on money you can put into modifying it.

Some retailers supposedly sell the base unit for $499, but all of those either say 'out of stock' or 'back-ordered with unknown date'. I finally found one in stock for $675.

I'm trying to be frugal with the accessories, but even then, everything included, the total price as configured would be about $1200... and that's some assembly required. In the configuration its in now, I could probably sell it for higher, especially since the 'cool look' is great for snagging buyers.

The ultimate cost to me, though, will be somewhat offset by selling the old AK for parts.
ocalhoun
Okay, took it out to the range today.

STOOPID me forgot to bring the sight adjustment tools, so I was unable to zero it in, and therefore unable to give any good estimate of its accuracy.
It did, however, shoot very nice, close-in groups, although these were always below and to the right of what I was aiming at, so once the sights are adjusted properly, I think it should have pretty good accuracy. (for an AK)

I also found out that it doesn't like the herter's ammunition I bought... and unfortunately I stocked up on it! (500 rds) It often fails to feed or fails to extract with this ammunition, though it worked beautifully with some leftover american eagle ammunition I had. So, I'll just use the herter's exclusively for practice, and experiment to find some other cheap ammunition it likes, then stock up on that instead. I will give the herter's another chance once I've cleaned and lubricated it though... Perhaps it will work better with a good coat of oil in the works? Or perhaps it will simply work better once broken in; this is a brand new gun... and I shot the american eagle ammo last, after the herter's had already broken it in a little.

The heating handguard problem wasn't as bad as some reviews made it out to be.* I shot off about 90 rounds in just a few minutes, and the trigger/grip got a little warm, but not uncomfortably so, and nowhere near putting me in danger of burns. Some of the reviews were complaining of getting burned after only 60 rounds.

*Or perhaps my removing of some of the extra plastic guards helped cool it better than I expected it to.

As expected, the trigger pull is substantial (a problem common with bullpup guns of all varieties), but it isn't too bad, just takes some getting used to... And while it may be more difficult than most to pull, it does have a nice, crisp and consistent break point.*

*The break point is the point along the trigger pull when the hammer is released and the gun fires.

The slant brake muzzle works quite well, just like it did in my old AK. Follow-up shots can be aimed and fired almost instantly, because the barrel has no tendency to rise.
Also like my previous AK, recoil is 'just right'... Substantial enough to give good feedback that a shot went off, yet light enough to be very forgiving; it is not a problem to shoot it from unorthodox positions, and it doesn't hurt when not shouldered properly.

Some have complained about the bullpup design making reloading, using the safety, and using the charging handle more difficult, but I actually found it to be generally easier than my old AK. The balanced design lets me easily hold it with one hand (trigger hand). I just hold it sideways with that hand, palm up, stock against my hip, which puts the safety and charging handle very conveniently located on top of it at waist level. Makes working the charging handle easy, as I just pull it with the left hand while pushing the gun forward with the right hand. Changing the magazine also seems easier in this position... And the trigger grip is actually helpful in getting the magazines in and out, not harmful; it is in just the right position that sliding the edge of the mag along the handle puts the magazine at just the right angle for insertion, then just pull it back.
IceCreamTruck
Is the kick light enough to handle the gun while trowing a flash bang or grenade into a room with your left arm? If so this makes you like a one man clearing squad. Get the sights working and I'd put my money on you over the pictured terrorists, and we'll give you some grenades to play with! Smile
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Is the kick light enough to handle the gun while trowing a flash bang or grenade into a room with your left arm?

For the last time, this is NOT a one-handed rifle!
Quote:
If so this makes you like a one man clearing squad.

There is no such thing as a one man anything squad.
(Also, where the heck am I going to get grenades?!?)
Quote:
Get the sights working and I'd put my money on you over the pictured terrorists, and we'll give you some grenades to play with! Smile

Oh, that's where the grenades come from, eh?

But why would I want to fight terrorists?
IceCreamTruck
Why else would you own a weapon that is designed to wage an effective small scale war if you didn't feel that the need to use it may arise. Don't call them terrorist... call them home-invaders if that makes you feel any better. I don't see many home invasions involving rocket launchers, so my money is on you! Smile

PS. I believe flash bangs are fairly easy to come by. Smile
coolclay
That is quite a well thought out set up. I really enjoy the aiming redundancy built into it. One of my biggest gripes about preparedness in any regards is so many peoples lack of redundancy and lack of a backup plan. Unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment for a similar project, but someday I'll get a semi-auto rifle to fix up, I'd probably aim for an SKS just because they are considerably cheaper.
LittleBlackKitten
My husband says he would get you before you even knew he was there...He says he'd just get you with a silenced mp5 or a Remington 700. He would just snipe you before you got your gear on.

(Disclaimer, I have no knowledge of guns, that's just what he wanted to say, lol)
nepalstar
Is that real one...? Oh! my god..! I wanna use that gun... actually till now I didn't touch a single gun.. Sad but I wanna carry this gun in my shoulder...!
ocalhoun
nepalstar wrote:
Is that real one...? Oh! my god..! I wanna use that gun... actually till now I didn't touch a single gun.. Sad but I wanna carry this gun in my shoulder...!

Oh yes, quite real... But might I suggest something simpler and more modest for a first gun?
A bolt action rifle would be a good one to learn with.

coolclay wrote:
That is quite a well thought out set up. I really enjoy the aiming redundancy built into it. One of my biggest gripes about preparedness in any regards is so many peoples lack of redundancy and lack of a backup plan.

Yep, there should always be a backup... but don't discount the usefulness of reflex aiming though. Most people, if they practice, but don't think about it while they do it, can shoot accurately enough without using sights at all, just aiming reflexively at what they're looking at.

It takes a bit of practice, but actually works quite well once you get used to it... After all, that's what most trap and skeet gunners use, since they don't have time to line up a sight picture.
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment for a similar project, but someday I'll get a semi-auto rifle to fix up, I'd probably aim for an SKS just because they are considerably cheaper.

The SKS's are good, but might I recommend one that already has most of the modifications you want? I find it to generally be cheaper that way.

(And if you really just don't have the cash, the Mosin Nagant is a very fun member of the Russian military family. I also have one of those, and I'd say that despite being my cheapest gun, it is also the most fun to shoot. (and the military surplus ammo is the cheapest ammunition in the world, despite being powerful, so it's fun and cheap to shoot... The guns are often available for around $85, and surplus ammo goes for $0.06 per round... An astoundingly good deal for a rifle that, though somewhat obsolete, is still powerful and quite useful.)

LittleBlackKitten wrote:
My husband says he would get you before you even knew he was there...He says he'd just get you with a silenced mp5 or a Remington 700. He would just snipe you before you got your gear on.

Aw, it isn't easy to sneak up on me when I'm in my own territory... This place is quiet.
And this isn't my only gun, so don't assume that I'm defenseless against a sniper. ^.^

(Of course, the advantage of surprise can easily outweigh any advantage in armament... I'm assuming a fair fight here.)
mukesh
oceahoun
omg what is !!!
lol
jwellsy
That's begging for a rail mounted 1200 Lumen tactical flashlight.

I assume this is 7.62x39. If it happened to be a x54 model would be awesome. I love the .308 goodness. I can't see my hits with .223's or 7.62x39's.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
That's begging for a rail mounted 1200 Lumen tactical flashlight.

I considered it, but it already has enough junk attached to it; what next, the kitchen sink?
Anyway, I've been working on being comfortable in the dark.* My night vision was already better than most, but lately I've been working on the other aspects of it, like simply being used to moving when you can't see totally. Call me vain, but 90% of the time, I'd probably be much more comfortable in the dark than my opponent, so it would be to my advantage to keep it dark.

*By going on night-time hikes, by using household lights very rarely, et cetera.
Quote:

I assume this is 7.62x39. If it happened to be a x54 model would be awesome. I love the .308 goodness. I can't see my hits with .223's or 7.62x39's.

No, no just the classic 7.62x39... True, it isn't super-powerful, but it is adequately powered, and being smaller than the high-power rifle rounds saves on bulk and weight. I carry it with a 30rd magazine, plus a pouch with 4 40 round magazines. That's 190 rounds, and it's plenty heavy enough even with just these smaller ones.

(Yes, that's a lot of ammo to carry, but this is my SHTF gun, intended for situations when you need all the ammo you can get. Why not carry more? After 190 rounds, the AK will probably be overheating something fierce, so there's not too much point... and of course, there's the weight issue.)
Tesa323
Those are freaking awesome.
Da Rossa
Omg... in my country it is SO difficult to acquire guns... especially automatic rifles. You have to "prove the necessity", among other 20 requirements.
Marcuzzo
In most countries it's virtually impossible to legally own an automatic rifle.
In Belgium they are for military and law enforcement only.
You can however apply for a licence to own (not carry) a weapon but you need a valid reason and even then you are not allowed to buy whatever you like.
There has been a vote in the EU top to ban semi-automatic rifles that have the 'appearance' of military weapons and have a magazine capacity that exceeds 20 rounds. Which is ridiculous
Da Rossa
Quote:
There has been a vote in the EU top to ban semi-automatic rifles that have the 'appearance' of military weapons and have a magazine capacity that exceeds 20 rounds. Which is ridiculous

Totally. Good for Switzerland, which is not part of that BS.
How to define "appearance of military weapon"?
BigGeek
Right on Ocalhoun - I own 3 AK-47 chambered in the same 7.62x39 round. 1 is a Russian AKM (piece of crap) - 2 is a Romanian AK-47 with a forged receiver rather than stamped sheet metal like my AKM, and the third is a VEPR-K it is a sheet metal receiver that is very heavy gauge metal, and it has an 18" bull barrel on it with a slant muzzle brake.

I have not seen the Bull Pup AK so this is new to me! My complaint about all my AK rifles is their accuracy! The VEPR-K being the most accurate out of all of them only gets a 1" pattern at 100 yards and the others are worse, much wider pattern. Comparing that to my AR-15 20" barreled rifle and there is no contest - the AR shoots rounds on top of each other at 100 yards and has less than an inch pattern at 300 yards!

Personally I do not like the standard AK sights - they are like pistol sights and not as good of a sight picture as the AR sights so I would be happy with the AR style sights like you have!

Because of the inaccuracy of my AKs and my FAL rifles plus how heavy the FAL rifles are, as well as my Semi Auto M-14 - I decided a few years ago to build up an AR-15 with a 16 inch barrel. Used a Rock River Arms lower and upper receiver, used a Walther barrel - Has iron sights, a Trijicon sight, forward pistol grip and adjustable stock with battery holder, and a flash light mount under the barrel. Accurate little thing - gets sub MOA at 100 yards it is light and I have never had a miss feed problem as long as I use USGI magazines!

Having served as a Marine I prize my accuracy over anything else in a rifle - the AR-15 gets a bad rap for being unreliable and having feed problems - I have never experienced that and as long as you keep it clean it is reliable and accurate! I'll take it any day over an AK-47 for my SHTF rifle! Just my 2 cents anyway!
Da Rossa
BigGeek post some pics of your guns!! Please Very Happy
Marcuzzo
Da Rossa wrote:
Quote:

Totally. Good for Switzerland, which is not part of that BS.
How to define "appearance of military weapon"?

Basically anybrifle that looks badass in the movies, so mainly AK's and AR15's

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20160706IPR35852/committee-on-the-internal-market-and-consumer-protection

Looks like they changed the aprearance part.

I've got an m&p15t in 5.56 (.223) so I'm f#*ked if the law changes
BigGeek
Da Rossa wrote:
BigGeek post some pics of your guns!! Please Very Happy

I need to get them out of the gun locker and take some pics for you - I'll try and do so this weekend!