FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rainbow Dash card!

ocalhoun
So, I happened to sign up for a new credit card recently (good cash back and a higher limit), and they gave me an opportunity to choose the design of it. ^.^

So, I thought, what should I put on it?
The answer was obvious:

Wait a couple of weeks and, voila!

Amazing, right?

I suppose, while we're at it, has anybody else put something fun on one of these custom cards?
Ankhanu
I don't have a custom card... but my daughter would love yours Razz
She quite likes your Rainbow Dash sig and the RD images you've been using in posts.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Amazing, right?
Awesome! Is that for real?
missdixy
Oh man that is so cute!!!! My credit card only has my stupid picture on it (lameee)! Great design choice, I love love love it! I am of the belief that everything should be MADE CUTE!!! Very Happy
kitsrock
my little ponies ARE awesome.

it's oddly strange. you'd think a fully grown adult male (heterosexual to boot) wouldn't be engaged by a cartoon made for girls of age 4-10. but it's highly addictive. *ahem* I mean, so I've been told.
standready
I don't have a 'custom' card. To me it is just a tool.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Amazing, right?
Awesome! Is that for real?

Of course it's real! Why do you think I took the time to blur out the numbers? ^.^
standready wrote:

Well, yes, it's a tool... But why not decorate it?
Now, not only is it a tool, but it gives me a smile every time I use it.
kitsrock wrote:

it's oddly strange. you'd think a fully grown adult male (heterosexual to boot) wouldn't be engaged by a cartoon made for girls of age 4-10. but it's highly addictive. *ahem* I mean, so I've been told.

Aha! So there are a few bronies hiding around here!

missdixy wrote:
Oh man that is so cute!!!! My credit card only has my stupid picture on it (lameee)! Great design choice, I love love love it! I am of the belief that everything should be MADE CUTE!!! Very Happy

Well then, by all means get it changed! ^.^

And then post it here to show it off!
catscratches
The color scheme and style of the pic matches the ebay logo quite well. (The MasterCard-logo as well but to a lesser degree.)
deanhills
kitsrock wrote:

I get the feeling that the woman (think her name is Lauren) who produced the animation show and wanted one that was "real" rather than the typical girly type shows seemed to have chanelled into the wavelength that created bronies. I don't think she did it on purpose. She just wanted something that she could relate better to as she said when she was in the 4-10 group that she hated the show then and she wanted to improve on it. She did a great job! Very Happy
ocalhoun wrote:
Aha! So there are a few bronies hiding around here!
!
Now this is awesome! I can imagine this on the outside of a security door to an ATM machine or a Bank, or a building. Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
I want one with a desert eagle on it! Smile This way I can point my credit card at people and threaten them, harmlessly, of course! Smile
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I want one with a desert eagle on it! Smile This way I can point my credit card at people and threaten them, harmlessly, of course! Smile
Ha! Wonder whether one could create a gun out of credit card Twisted Evil Question
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Ha! Wonder whether one could create a gun out of credit card Twisted Evil Question

That's me... always challenging the system and pressing my luck! Smile
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Now that would be fun. ^.^ You could 'hold up' every store you go to, and have them give you stuff, and completely get away with it.
catscratches wrote:
The color scheme and style of the pic matches the ebay logo quite well. (The MasterCard-logo as well but to a lesser degree.)

Yeah, too bad they had to put a black border around it.
kitsrock
Me? Bronie? I believe you have the wrong person!

*ahem* like I said, I've only.. erm.. heard about how awesome it is.

you would NOT find the entire series on my external HDD. Nope. definitely not on my external HDD.
coolclay
That's really amazing I was not aware that you could get custom credit cards. What a wonderful idea, it sure it boosts their business considerably with probably minimal cost. I also was unaware that My Little Ponies made a comeback, and was made into a new show. I'll definitely have to check it out especially if it's written/animated by the same people who wrote/animated the Powerpuff Girls.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
That's really amazing I was not aware that you could get custom credit cards. What a wonderful idea, it sure it boosts their business considerably with probably minimal cost. I also was unaware that My Little Ponies made a comeback, and was made into a new show. I'll definitely have to check it out especially if it's written/animated by the same people who wrote/animated the Powerpuff Girls.
It was someone different who did it by the name of Lauren. I don't want to say too much as Ocalhoun says he doesn't want to know all the background details as that spoils it for him. Suffice to say, the lady who was given the show to produce and who did the animation, wanted something different from when she had been a little girl. She hated the former pony characters that were helpless and feeble and wanted more real characters in her cast. I think she did a fantastic job. Very Happy
ocalhoun
kitsrock wrote:
Me? Bronie? I believe you have the wrong person!

*ahem* like I said, I've only.. erm.. heard about how awesome it is.

you would NOT find the entire series on my external HDD. Nope. definitely not on my external HDD.

standready
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

My card has an American flag on it. That use to make me smile.
IceCreamTruck
standready wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

OK, OK, OK... we should move this conversation to the political forum too before it's too late! Smile
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
standready wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

OK, OK, OK... we should move this conversation to the political forum too before it's too late! Smile
Right, wonder whether a credit card with a burning flag would be against the law? Think
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Right, wonder whether a credit card with a burning flag would be against the law? Think

Been in totalitarian countries too long?
In the US, actually burning a real flag is legal*... so a just picture of a burning flag should be perfectly fine.

*considered improper etiquette, but perfectly legal.
Ankhanu
And having a burning flag on a credit card might come off a little hypocritical Razz
coolclay
Quote:
It was someone different who did it by the name of Lauren. I don't want to say too much as Ocalhoun says he doesn't want to know all the background details as that spoils it for him. Suffice to say, the lady who was given the show to produce and who did the animation, wanted something different from when she had been a little girl. She hated the former pony characters that were helpless and feeble and wanted more real characters in her cast. I think she did a fantastic job.

Sounds interesting, I'll definitely have to check it out, wait I mean have my younger sister watch!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Sounds interesting, I'll definitely have to check it out, wait I mean have my younger sister watch!
Right! Twisted Evil

Ankhanu wrote:
And having a burning flag on a credit card might come off a little hypocritical Razz
Right, it's a bit farfetched too, if one's supposed to live in the country where the credit card has been issued. Bad etiquette also as Ocalhoun pointed out. I was thinking out loudly and for some reason it just popped into my mind. I must say I haven't seen much of these type of designs around here though and to be truthful, I very rarely use my credit card and mostly for air ticket transactions or transactions on the Internet. Every time I make a purchase I need to get a phone call from my Bank to check whether I made the transaction "for the sake of the security of my card". If they can't get hold of me, they freeze the card. So I only use it when I really have to. Twisted Evil
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Right, it's a bit farfetched too, if one's supposed to live in the country where the credit card has been issued.

Not farfetched at all, I think. Flag burning is an act to express dissatisfaction with one's (or another's) country/government... it is seen as an extreme statement, but it's a pretty valid one. Hell, I might consider doing it if more crap goes on with my government as happened before the weekend where access to top government documents by the public was ended... I forsee my government implementing many more dark and draconian laws to make government less transparent before the end of their current reign... I love my country, but, if burning the flag publicly will help shed light on the BS of government and help bring people to awareness of our social woes... that flag's getting torched Razz

The love of one's geographical and general social situation/location should not translate to blind patriotism. A flag is just a symbol, and sometimes a government does not have its people's best interests at heart. One can love their land without loving their government Wink

My point was that it's an anti-establishment symbol... and credit cards are pretty much as establishment as things come Wink
LittleBlackKitten

Dork. xD
Ankhanu
lol!!
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
My point was that it's an anti-establishment symbol... and credit cards are pretty much as establishment as things come Wink
Excellent point and well said. Very difficult for me to imagine that you would ever burn the Canadian flag though. Wink
IceCreamTruck
Flag burning is passive aggressive. There are probably more constructive ways to get your point across as burning the flag has no clear universal message. Flag burning means different things to just about everyone, but there is the shared belief that it is extremist or an act of terrorism to some people (maybe only the ones that have too much invested in a piece of cloth).

I would do just about anything other than burn the flag. Burning a flag would be something I'd do to my enemies flag as an act of aggression, and to damage/destroy their flag so there is nothing left as a symbol of what I will do to their country, but I currently have no enemies and I'm not planning on collecting any or going to war for that matter.

As far as a political statement I think there is a measure of terrorism to burning a flag. The ambiguity of the purpose or message, the act of going for a symbol that some people love and hold dear, the intent to produce a reaction of fear. It may not be "grand terrorism" but it's terrorism on a small level non-the-less.

Some of my actions may even be considered terrorism -- that thought hasn't escaped me -- because I make every attempt to rock close minded people's boat, and shake their worlds up, and I go for the things they hold dear or quite simply the things they want me to keep clear of because it hurts them. This is terrorism, or what it means to be a terrorist by any definition, so I'm guilty of terrorism too.

Honestly, it's a piece of cloth, so I suggest taking our sense of self-worth in patriotism off of it, realizing it's just a symbol, and stopping caring if anyone burns it. Hey, they wouldn't burn it if people didn't invest emotion in it, or if it wasn't kind of terrorizing to see it burning. You don't see terrorist lining up to play cricket in the streets to make American's angry, but they would if we had declared to the world that cricket is evil and cannot be played on US soil any more. al-Qaeda would become a cricket club, and they'd sell their weapons for cricket bats. There would be mad bowling in the streets in the Middle East if we made a declaration like that.

It's about doing what they think we don't want to see. I think we should tell the terrorist that we hate the sight of cash money, peaceful protests, and middle eastern women. It would be especially horrible if they let their women walk the streets alone without head wear on. Yes, that would make American's upset... very upset! Please, terrorists... we beg you!... don't let middle eastern women free! This would greatly upset Americans! </sarcasm>

If you don't think burning the flag is terroristic then what is? I promise to terrorize anyone who just says I'm wrong without giving at least their opinion of what terrorism is.

Will reverse psychology work on terrorists? What will?
deanhills
I also see the flag as a piece of cloth. I'd really hate to waste money buying it, just to burn it. The closest to flags I've got are the small ones that I can stick around for decoration when it's Independence day, etc. I've got three of those flags right now, Canada, UAE and South Africa. They all have a special meaning for me, but you're right, the meaning I attach to them is uniquely mine, and will definitely sound crazy to somebody else. Very Happy I must say that sometimes I feel as though I am living in the United States too. All of the news I get to hear is always dominated by news of the United States. I sometimes get the feeling that the United States is everyone's country, an umbrella country in certain ways, standing for democracy, liberty and freedom. They don't have the mix always perfect, but there is enough people in different sections of society fighting for freedom, so that there is always a balance of a kind.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
I also see the flag as a piece of cloth. I'd really hate to waste money buying it, just to burn it. The closest to flags I've got are the small ones that I can stick around for decoration when it's Independence day, etc. I've got three of those flags right now, Canada, UAE and South Africa. They all have a special meaning for me, but you're right, the meaning I attach to them is uniquely mine, and will definitely sound crazy to someone else. Very Happy

My point is also that if someone took flags, that looked like yours, and burned them then you may, in turn, imagine your special moments ablaze and would be offended by this act of terrorism, which it is, but at the same time it's a form of terrorism that is protected by free speech.

Keep this in mind when they use terrorism as an excuse to further restrict individual rights. Just politely remind them that some terrifying things are protected by the constitution and no further limitation of individual rights is required, and impeach them before they try again!

Frankly I'm unimpressed by terrorist lately. This is because I have a VERY active imagination, and 2 seconds of letting my imagination wonder is definitely more terrifying to me than anything they've come up with lately.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Frankly I'm unimpressed by terrorist lately. This is because I have a VERY active imagination, and 2 seconds of letting my imagination wonder is definitely more terrifying to me than anything they've come up with lately.
Guess you've just hit terrorism right on its head ICT! Good analogy ..... Twisted Evil

Reminds me of Achmed the Suicide Bomber:

He'd probably make a nice design for a credit card? Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
A very terrifying, terrorist! I kill you! Smile

It would be funny to see his face on a credit card! How terrific! Smile
Ankhanu
Eugh, Jeff Dunham is one of the worst popular comics out there today... and this is in light of the likes of Dane Cook, Jeff Foxworth, Larry the Cable Guy, Carlos Mencia, et al. Terrible humour centred around conservative white American prejudice that can't even stand on its own merit, requiring puppet props to make it the least bit chuckle-worthy.

I love good stand up... which is why I can't stand Dunham Razz
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
Eugh, Jeff Dunham is one of the worst popular comics out there today... and this is in light of the likes of Dane Cook, Jeff Foxworth, Larry the Cable Guy, Carlos Mencia, et al. Terrible humour centred around conservative white American prejudice that can't even stand on its own merit, requiring puppet props to make it the least bit chuckle-worthy.

I love good stand up... which is why I can't stand Dunham Razz

I kill you! Smile (*high pitched voice)

* Edit: I like the Julia Sweeney stuff that Bikerman posted!
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I would do just about anything other than burn the flag. Burning a flag would be something I'd do to my enemies flag as an act of aggression, and to damage/destroy their flag so there is nothing left as a symbol of what I will do to their country, but I currently have no enemies and I'm not planning on collecting any or going to war for that matter.

Rather than the negative symbolism of burning a flag, I'd rather use the positive symbolism of flying a different flag... which at the same time sends a much more definitive statement:

Quote:

As far as a political statement I think there is a measure of terrorism to burning a flag. The ambiguity of the purpose or message, the act of going for a symbol that some people love and hold dear, the intent to produce a reaction of fear. It may not be "grand terrorism" but it's terrorism on a small level non-the-less.

No, it isn't terrorism.
Terrorism is the use of force, or threat of force, to create fear, with the aim of accomplishing political, religious, or social changes.
Flag burning alone does not qualify for that definition at all.
You can't go around just calling everything disagreeable terrorism. That's what the authoritarians in several Western governments want you to do -- so that they can then extend the 'war on terror' to something more resembling a 'war on dissent'.
Playing loose with the definition of terrorist plays into the hands of future tyrants.
Quote:

Honestly, it's a piece of cloth, so I suggest taking our sense of self-worth in patriotism off of it, realizing it's just a symbol, and stopping caring if anyone burns it. Hey, they wouldn't burn it if people didn't invest emotion in it, or if it wasn't kind of terrorizing to see it burning. You don't see terrorist lining up to play cricket in the streets to make American's angry, but they would if we had declared to the world that cricket is evil and cannot be played on US soil any more. al-Qaeda would become a cricket club, and they'd sell their weapons for cricket bats. There would be mad bowling in the streets in the Middle East if we made a declaration like that.

That's crazy.
So crazy that it just... might... work!

To be completely effective, I think Israel would have to ban cricket as well.
quex
ocalhoun wrote:
So, I happened to sign up for a new credit card recently (good cash back and a higher limit), and they gave me an opportunity to choose the design of it. ^.^

So, I thought, what should I put on it?
The answer was obvious:

Wait a couple of weeks and, voila!

Amazing, right?

I suppose, while we're at it, has anybody else put something fun on one of these custom cards?

....the ponies. They're everywhere. o.o
ocalhoun
quex wrote:

....the ponies. They're everywhere. o.o

And now, starting with my credit card, making forays into the real world!

Perhaps the end of the world IS nigh! And it will end in ponies! ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Perhaps more like ending in rainbow dashes? This one would probably really be appealing to you - gun handles with rainbow dashes? Would have been nice in colour ? Very Happy

I love this guitar! Very Happy

IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:

I have to admit this is cool. I can finally see myself owning something with Pony art on it! Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Perhaps more like ending in rainbow dashes? This one would probably really be appealing to you - gun handles with rainbow dashes? Would have been nice in colour ? Very Happy

Needs rainbow bullets. ^.^
Nameless
Get your deadly weaponry out of my idealistic ponies. >_<
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
Get your deadly weaponry out of my idealistic ponies. >_<

Aw, but that's what makes it so fun, the juxtaposition of cute, idealistic ponies and deadly weapons. ^.^

http://e621.net/data/29/eb/29eb8fa490eef84fed92bc50f82b2bdc.jpg
http://ponibooru.413chan.net/_images/36e9bbad3c1b0b4d458bf46a545093f5/3307%20-%20rainbow_dash%20tank%20warhammer_40k.jpg
(Images linked instead of posting inline, because they are too wide, and would mess up the page margins.)

On a not-really-related note, I found this awesome picture of a sonic rainboom IN REAL LIFE!
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Aw, but that's what makes it so fun, the juxtaposition of cute, idealistic ponies and deadly weapons. ^.^
Could it be that the ponies ARE the deadly weapons? Think
Helios
Why the hell do a bunch of grown up men talk about rainbows and ponies? Shocked
Why am I in this thread? Shocked
What the hell is going on? Eh?
deanhills
@Helios. If you check out the comments on the Web you will find "magic pony" talk everywhere. It's become more or less part of the culture in both the US and Canada.

For example:
Quote:
Magazine Icon Roger Black: The iPad is Not a Magic Pony

Source: BetaBeat

It is also used a lot in political speech:
Quote:
“Listen up, you Republican [expletive deleted] and your corporate lapdogs: you swore on a stack of Bibles piled ten stories high that extending tax cuts for everyone (in wartime, no less) would absolutely positively ‘reduce uncertainty’ and ‘create jobs’ and ‘stimulate the economy.’ And as of January 1, you got yourself a fresh bucket full of tax cuts. But if jobs and the economy don’t come roaring back to life the way your magic pony promise says it will, you'll get the credit for, once again, not having the foggiest clue what the hell you're doing. And then we'll go Galt on your ass in 2012.”

Source: Humanevents
Nameless
I'm like 99% sure the above quotes aren't referring to My Little Pony. "Magic pony" can be used as a figure of speech in the same was as "silver bullet".
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
I'm like 99% sure the above quotes aren't referring to My Little Pony. "Magic pony" can be used as a figure of speech in the same was as "silver bullet".
Embarassed OK, thanks for correcting me. I guess I've been away for too long. There are ponies and ponies.

Here's one by Bell Canada, and they are obviously referring to different ponies. I was never really aware of "pony talk" before, so possibly it could have been there forever, and I had just not been aware of it.
ocalhoun
Helios wrote:
Why the hell do a bunch of grown up men talk about rainbows and ponies? Shocked
Why am I in this thread? Shocked
What the hell is going on? Eh?

For more specific answers, respectively:

Because rainbows and ponies are awesome, especially when combined.
See above image.
Ponies. Ponies are going on.