FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ban junk food?

myrevolt
Ok 1. I was too lazy to search so if there is an identical thread open lemme know Razz

2. Rumor has it that Schwarzenegger has signed a bill, that all High Schools (and possibly Middle Schools too) will not sell unhealthy food such as coke, chips, sugar, etc. Some claimed a full ban, though I think its just the selling of the above-mentioned products, not a full ban (such as the cell phone ban, that my teachers are going PSYCHO about) and students should still be able to bring the products on campus.

3. Anyways my point is for opinions and such. Think Razz
Jack_Hammer
I think people should be aloud to do whatever they want to their own bodies excluding use of hard drugs.
Monkeydog
There has been a ban in California on junk food for Elementary and Junior High schools for a while now...
Probably soon in High School too, but I think there shouldn't.
It's the kids on fault for buying the junk, and it's the parents fault for programming them to want it in the first place.
Vincent Vale
I'm sort of biased on this topic since I have a whole box of fruit roll ups and pop tarts next to me....

GO JUNK FOOD! Why would anyone ever ban it...they have no soul!
xorcist
Wow... They tried to do that in florida but I dont think it was passed, they blamed it on kids getting overweight. Personally they should eat whatever they want. There in highschool they should make there own decisions on what they want to eat.
Nameless
I think that's going a bit overboard. Look at it this way:

PEOPLE WHO EAT TOO MUCH JUNKFOOD are just going to buy it from the shops and take it to school, which will annoy them, but they'll eat it anyway. So they lose.

PEOPLE WHO EAT A BIT OF JUNKFOOD probably can't be bothered buying some from the shops, and it didn't really matter for them anyway because they ate it in moderation. So they lose.

PEOPLE WHO DON'T EAT JUNKFOOD... stay just the same as they were before. So they don't lose, but they don't win either.

I know that really generalising a bit, but you can see my point.
AnGeLicK
Jack_Hammer wrote:
I think people should be aloud to do whatever they want to their own bodies excluding use of hard drugs.

y stop there? isn't that kinda of arbitrary? who are we to tell other people what they can or cannot do to there own bodies?

regarding the junk food... if you take it out of the schools, students will just bring it from home... healthy living starts from education not from lack of (or in this case removal of) options
Vincent Vale
AnGeLicK wrote:
Jack_Hammer wrote:

y stop there? isn't that kinda of arbitrary? who are we to tell other people what they can or cannot do to there own bodies?

The problem with that is drugs one person takes can affect all others around them - someone on a bad acid trip could wig out and kill someone or something like that...so the government has to protect the rest of the civilians from those who choose to do drugs.
Jack_Hammer
One in three people in America are obese not only fat, but obese, and Two in three Americans are fat.
otiscom
Schools in the UK are starting a simalar thing.

But educating people about heart problems etc associated with obesity is the way.
GiLaD
It's a good idead to ban those things out, children are getting hell-lot [alot] fat because of the food that is served at the school.
GOOD IDEA! IF YOU WANT JUNK FOOD, GO TO MCDONALDS OR SOMETHING!
dan751
If we were to ban junk food, we would essentially be banning fat @$$es and big [tytle wave style] bellies. I like the idea of banning junk food.Cool
jveezy
If they care so much about keeping kids healthy at school, I think they should do something about terrible cafeteria food. Ugh. Cafeteria food is probably one of the worst experiences of elementary school.
dan751
jveezy wrote:
If they care so much about keeping kids healthy at school, I think they should do something about terrible cafeteria food. Ugh. Cafeteria food is probably one of the worst experiences of elementary school.

You should visit my cafeteria one time then, mine has a lovely isle of healthy food, they do also have an isle of food that is still ok, but not as healthy, like burgers or hot dogs.Cool
mceejaydee
Eat junk food!! Just not as much you know.
mbgamez
don't ban junk food. apart from pc's it is the only good thing
brosta
mbgamez wrote:
don't ban junk food. apart from pc's it is the only good thing

how much do you weigh?
falconfx
I think people should be free to eat what they prefer, even if it's junk food, but they have to know the risks they are taking.
dark_paladin
If they are going to ban junk food today, maybe tomorrow they will ban talking as well... and who knows what they will ban the day after that...
GraphicalCaviar
is Arnie gonna ban those big chunky cigars he likes to smoke too?
All Alluring
i agree, it's not the food, it's the education...

if you want kids to eat healthy, offer healthy choices. I remember the caf was hell...everything greasy or out of a can, nothing fresh. It's safer to grab a bag of chips and a coke than to eat what's comming out of the oven haha...
izcool
I've read somewhere that states that a child does better in school if they have something in their stomach. Junk food is one of the quickest things to eat (such as a candybar) which might suffice their appetite until their lunch hour. I don't really think it's much of a big problem since they're probably going to burn it all off in gym class. Where I am, in Illinois, gym class is required from Kindergarten all the way until you finish High School. I hate it because I sit around all summer and barely gain a pound, I'm quite thin and underweight for my age. Mad

- Mike.
mark
I think there is a fact that every 1 in 5 americans is obese. I heard in the news that thats the reason why junk food is being banned in schools. Personally, I would vote against it. Which teenager wouldnt !!!
Monkeydog
GraphicalCaviar wrote:
is Arnie gonna ban those big chunky cigars he likes to smoke too?

Since when the hell have they been selling cigars in high schools?
0.o
soulman
although this action can reduce some junk-food-eating student, however, not every student buy those junk food form their school.......
Chords.of.Life
i live in CT and last year my school banned soda all together. we can still bring it into the school, but we can't have it in classes and there are no longer soda machines. i miss it Sad but hey, shit happens.
yzy
When we talk about this kind of food,we know children are always harmed by these junk food.Customarily they do not know what kind of food are bad for their health,and how to change wholesome food.So,many cheap and convenient food are pushed to them,and these food are always the children prefer.
yzy
How much you weigh? Yeah,this is a good question.If somebody is very fat or very emaciated,you should check your daily eating.
gonzo
Children need parenting.

It's the parent's duty, and in absentia the school's, to ensure the best for the child irrespective of the child's desires, especially disordered desires.
alexdude
People should have the right to eat what ever they want, but fast-food companies should try to limit the fat and other bad stuff in their foods. Right now some fast food joints have deli menus that are better for you then a burger.
sonicj
It is not like they are asking to ban junk food period. If I read this right, it is the state, which runs the school thinking of simply not selling it anymore. If your locally owned store decided to not sell something anymore, no one would say the store was taking away some freedom. They would simply say well, I want this so I will go next door and get it. Most people would say the store has a right to sell what it wants. I really don't see any difference in a state ran organization or a private run organization in this matter. It is not like it infringes on any of our rights or freedoms. Or did I miss where it said in the constitution that we have the right to buy the food we want where we want?
erlendhg
Junk food can be nice, sometimes.
But it can also be very, very bad if you eat much of it.
Still, I don't think junk food should be banned.
If people want to trash their body, let them do it.
Zombie
LOL this is like suggesting to ban video games. NOT gonna happen, our pleasure is more important than our health apparently.
windrei
even it's banned in the campus, i dont see the problem can be solved. As you can see, all those fast food shops selling junk food are in every corner of the streets. Can you eliminate them ? will the government do something ? i dont think so. As some people mentioned here, people have the right to choose what they wanna eat, and those fast food shops owners can claim that they have the freedom of commerce. It's just a simple economic theory. When there is demand, there is provider. No one can stop it. We can only educate the people how harm the junk food is, and hope that they can choose it smartly...
bharath_neo
mcD and coke cant b banned Very Happy
tonkpils
Instead of banning tall the junk food why not just offer healthier food too.

At all the highschools ive seen they offer nothing but junk food for the kids so obviously theyll end up having unhealthy eating habits.

if they just offerd the kids something better then im sure alot of them would make better decision with how ther]y eat.
Bengt
Do not touch my junk food Surprised
Donutey
I think the schools should improve their regular meals first, I remember getting about half my meals covered in some sort of cheese because my school district didn't want to use "real" food to get to the required calories for the meal.
ConquerSockets
Hey!

omg! (My first reaction) Ban these fast food from schools!!!
No fast food anywhere!

For those that are saying we must have the right to eat I have an answer to it:
If you are not smart enough to controle yourself on what you are eating and your health, let other do it for you!

Alexander!
DaJiMsTa
I think the laws regarding food in Australia are fine at the moment. We can eat whatever we like, and we are decently informed in what is in every product, and the calorie, fat, salt, etc... count on the side of all packaging.

Even Macdonalds has that information on the box.

Junk Food is not good for you.
But i wouldnt want to live in a world where i can't buy one at all.
sonicj
ConquerSockets wrote:
Hey!

No fast food anywhere!

If you are not smart enough to controle yourself on what you are eating and your health, let other do it for you!

Alexander!

Wow! So then, since you are not smart enough to spell (or correct your typo) then we should "controle" your spelling? No offense, but why would you want to control what others eat? What if I was in power and I said if people aren't smart enough to eat worms then I will make them eat worms?
Master-of-Evilz
I guess it should be banned too. I used to eat a lot of them when i was young my young bro who is 6 years now has suffered greatly. All his teeth are damaged. Man i really think junk food must
be banned
ConquerSockets
sonicj wrote:
ConquerSockets wrote:
Hey!

No fast food anywhere!

Alexander!

Wow! So then, since you are not smart enough to spell (or correct your typo) then we should "controle" your spelling? No offense, but why would you want to control what others eat? What if I was in power and I said if people aren't smart enough to eat worms then I will make them eat worms?

Heyy!

Well there are some good reasons:

1. Spelling stuffs already exists in school!
2. Worms doesn't makes sens
3. Fast food kills you (not directly but in long term) if you eat too much of it, so it's for the good of the person. Controle what peoples eat is possible and is good for the society it makes sense and it's not (no offence) stupid stuffs like making the society eat worms...
4. Money isn't the most powerful tool, but the power is, don't forget. YES... you can make peoples eat worms if you are powerful enough. It's may sounds stupid, but it's true. Look how Adolfe Hitler controled his population and his army.. Look one of the old video you will be amazed how powerful peoples can change the humanity. We still remember him in 2007. It's even worst what he did. He made peoples die for him to kill other peoples althought he wasn't arien... and compared to your worms now or spelling... doesn't this sounds absurde now?

Alexander.
silverdown
Not cool, well im out of school so that don't apply to me. Anyhow I don't even live where that nut case actor lives or works!
sonicj
ConquerSockets

How far are you willing to go with this line of thinking?

Too much sun is bad for our skin....so should we ban the beaches or set time limits for how long someone should be in the sun or a tanning bed?

You mentioned Hitler controlling people and that his actions were bad, yet you want to control people? I honestly don't understand.
Tatsumaru
Banning something like food won't help, people just need to be educated and watched in what they consume. People aren't enough aware of the crap they put in their bodies...

I wouldn't mind if all of the fastfood in the world was banned though... that stuff is plain nasty.
skygaia
I think "Out of sight, Out of mind"
If everyone thinks junk food is really worse for people, then we will try to reduce chances that we could contact junk foods.
ConquerSockets
Hi all!

@sonicj

You said that banning food wasn't a good idea and you gaved me some examples that didn't made sense now it going even worst ... talking about the sun...
What are you going to say next?
Breathing too much of bad air is bad so we should cut the air from the planet??? Nahhh don't makes sense.

here, sonicj, we are talking about junk food. Don't make the error of mixing things together.

Hitler is only an example to show you that a person that has power can make whatever he wants.

@Tatsumaru

You pointed here a pretty good point; Education!
If peoples would of been more educated, they would not go jump on fast food or junk food, call them like you want!

Why do you think you all here called it ''Junk'' food... You are all conciousness that it's not good, but you are still taking some... Education educated you that it's bad and you all know it, but how to controle peoples of not eating em?

I think really if we stop producing that kind of food (Which will probably never happen) Is the real only one solution...

Alexander.
sonicj
I am sorry but you cannot control what people do. In my country there was a time when alcohol was prohibited. People just went underground.

I am not arguing that junk food is good for a person, I am arguing that it is silly to try and ban something like that. As a matter of fact, I started off posting in here that I thought it was the school districts right to decide not to sell it if they want.

I just won't go to the extreme and say it all needs to be banned. I find that ridiculous.

It seems moderation has no place in our current society. People are extreme to one direction or the other. Sad
Ghost Rider103
I think it is kind of stupid.

Like somone else said, people should have the right to eat whatever they want. If they are still able to bring their own junk food to school, then that is good, but still banning a food? That's rediculious.

Pretty soon, there is going to be so many rules, everyone is going to start breaking the rules to eventually get rid of them. Which is what I am hoping people will start doing. (The dumb rules/laws anyways, some laws/rules I completely understand, but banning a food?).

Thats my opnion anyway.
ConquerSockets
@sonicj

Hi,

I got your point, what you meant, it's true that it's ridiculous to ban, that why I added that it will never happen, but it was just an idea to controle population's weight and health...
There is no solutions to this.. Anybody have one?...

It's true that althought you make some restrictions that peoples still do it... Smoking in bars is forbidden here and peoples still do it. When cops comes, they just go outside right away or hide in toiletts (Althought it smells cigaretts)...

Peoples don't care about themselves, how make them care of the society? Rolling Eyes

Alexander.
TruPain
I think that as far as schools are concerned, they should only allow healthy food.

Sure, people should always have the right to eat whatever they want, but when we as parents send our children to school, the last thing we want to know, is that for lunch they had 2 sodas 3 candy bars and 2 bags of chips.

Now, if they try to put on nationwaide ban on snackfood, then that is a completely different story, as that takes things away from pur personal choices. If I want my child to have some snacks, I will buy and allow them to eat...

Think abut it this way... (maybe this is too exaggerated)

We send our kids to school to learn about things that will help them with the rest of their lives. We do not send our kids to school to have classes about how to kill someone properly and dispose of the body... Because this is simply not proper or realistic.

And while our kids are at school, we expect them to eat healthy

Just my thoughts on this subject...
achowles
Banning is not the solution. The problem lies in people's mentality and lack of willpower. In the case of children it's still possible to instil some willpower and discipline into them which will serve them well for more than just diet.
eday2010
People need to take responsibility for themselves. If the government is going to make all the decisions for you, then what use are you?
mina
i do agree somewhat with the idea that junk food should be banned in schools.

The main reason that I believe that this should be done is because younger school children don't know well enough to stay away from the foods, and many schools want to give it to them because it's the easiest thing, and the children will complain until they get it anyways. Seems like it would be better if they didn't have the option to begin with.

Also, older children, though they may go ahead and go out of their way to bring it with them to school or just leave the campus to get it from another source, at least wouldn't have the quick and easy access that they do now... I know that at my old high school there were vending machines that were open all day, and you could just go there in between classes and pick up a bunch of junk food. But the year that I was graduating they started to implement restricted hours on the machine, and were changing out a lot of the junk for healthier choices. It seemed to make a huge difference. There's a difference between bringing the junk with you to school and being able to pick it up at any time of the day.

The only problem that I see with it personally is that the problem starts at home as well... as many rules and laws that the government can impose, there's only so much they can do to change the education of the children in the first place. If the child is learning bad habits at home, those are just going to carry over into the school. That's a given. Until everyone has had changes in their viewpoints, then there is going to be a problem with obesity in children and in adults. There are many problems that lead to obesity... one of which is not taking responsibilty for your problem. You can blame the junk food in the schools, McDonalds, KFC, or Burger King, but in the end it was your own choice to consume all of that food and not make an effort to get enough exercise. I think people need to start taking more responsibility for themselves and their children. Until that changes (and I really don't believe it will) there will be a problem with obesity in America.
Zug Zug
Eh....well I like the fact that in elementary schools/middle schools you can't buy junk food anymore, but in highschool I think that the kids have their eating habits established and should be able to eat what they want. They're becoming more and more adult (well in most cases) every day, if you take the decision of what they're going to eat out of their hands they'll be pretty mad. It's their body let them make the choice between a greasy nasty hamburger, or a fresh crisp chicken salad. Bubbly soda or smooth lemonade. It's their choice. Good night.
gerpg
DONT BAN JUNK FOOD!! lol, the stuff is great! You can't seriously want to get rid of Mc d's?! Its so convienient!

Louis.
Kaisonic
Yeah, a ban on junk food is just wrong. They're not like drugs - sure they're technically bad for you and you only want them because they taste really good, but that's just going too far. Drugs kill people - when's the last time you've seen someone in the news killed by junk food overdose? Sure it's possible, but only for those select few that aren't in high and middle school. Kids should have the right to choose what they eat - it's the parents' responsibility to teach the kid what's good to eat and what's not. So instead of just blatantly not letting kids choose, they should let kids choose and put more pressure on the parents to teach the kids to make the right choices. Wow that sounds a lot like drugs. Stupid addicting fluffy chocolate!
denestry
Junk food didn't kill anyone? Are u joking. Look at the obesity epidemics in USA, where did it come from? From eating healthy food?
x_runescape_x
myrevolt wrote:
Ok 1. I was too lazy to search so if there is an identical thread open lemme know Razz

2. Rumor has it that Schwarzenegger has signed a bill, that all High Schools (and possibly Middle Schools too) will not sell unhealthy food such as coke, chips, sugar, etc. Some claimed a full ban, though I think its just the selling of the above-mentioned products, not a full ban (such as the cell phone ban, that my teachers are going PSYCHO about) and students should still be able to bring the products on campus.

hmmm.. junk food isnt that bad. its jsut the dumb people who eat alot of it. not like me Very Happy
twilightlover15
i think that people MIGHT benefit from it, but like everyone else has said, they will just bring the food from home, and also parents would complain. You can't force someone to eat healthier by doing this.
I do think that people need to eat healthier, but doing it this way would be bad.
Ducksteina
It's not the junk food that makes people fat, it's their laziness.
I eat A LOT of junk food but I keep healthy and I'm not fat because I do sports.
You just have to burn the calories, that's the magic...
hilariouslicorice
I like junk food. But I feel pretty awful if I eat too much of it. It's scary to think that trans-fatty-acids and other such typical pre-processed junk food stay in your body and build up over long periods of time. But it's also scary to think that we live in a culture that promotes anoerexia and the Atkins diet!
Whereas I think that human bodies need all types of caloric intake - sugars, fats & carbs included - I think that more needs to be done to promote a healthy relationship to food in the culture. I'm not sure that a junk food ban will do the job. But I don't think that constantly advertising junk food to children will, either!
rohan2kool
saturated fats and cheese... ftw
emjawa
They've done this in my school. Well, it's not banned as in if you're seen with it you've got a detention. But they just won't sell it and if you're doing a charity event then you can't sell cakes or unhealthy things. That said, I go to a girls' school (but not private - I'm not all posh Very Happy), so half the people are aspiring anorexics anyway. >.>

I think it's a good idea. Has anyone ever watched Jamie's School Dinners (I think that's the name of it..)? It's pretty scary how many kids can't name their vegetables!
tijn01
People should be able to choose what they eat. But people should also be properly educated about food instead of learning what to eat through advertisements.... Children should be kept away from commercials selling junk food for their own preservation.
Hogwarts
Finally, they're catching on. Perhaps if people were brought up eating healthier, they would not be as overweight. Alot of blame lies within the parents who allow their kids to become overweight - because they let their kids eat that junk. Regulation is good, however basing your diet on junkfood is plain bad.

Actually, this happened at my school. They do sell healthier things now, and the coke machine doesn't even sell coke anymore.

Jack_Hammer wrote:

That being said, people should be taxed on how overweight they are, if they smoke, etc. (Yes, I know your post is old an crusted - but I feel it is necessary to quote it. Anyhow, if people only did what they wanted the world would run as smoothly as sandpaper over GWB's presidency.)

Why? In Australia, about 1/4 to 1/3 of peoples incomes goes to tax - Mainly healthcare (So we get it really cheap.. Not entirely free). Sufficient to say, people who earn more pay more, but people who make use of healthcare service are either overweight or smokers.

For what it's worth, I think that people who smoke, binge drink or are overweight should become second-class in hospitals and medical institutions. Sure, they can really do what they want, but is it worth it?
dayveday
Jack_Hammer wrote:

But should they be allowed to use 'aloud' like that? Wink
dayveday
More seriously, I think its great to see healthy food in schools. Maybe we don't need to go the extent of banning all junk food, but making sure that there are healthy and attractive alternatives to junk food is a must! This goes double for schools were children are served cafeteria lunches (which I understand can be the norm in many parts of the USA and UK) - this have to be healthy balanced meals. In some cases, the school lunch might be the most nourishing food some kids receive.
soulery
I would be very sad if they banned junk food.
rlzd
In many schools here in sweden they don't even sell a soda with sugar. It is pretty bad, I mean, doesn't the people have selfcontrol? =)
I hope that's just a rumor since I love that food and I am not overweight or something so...
I think the people should have the right to decide for themselves, and not let higher people decide what's best for them.
blinx
Well, I remember in my high school, just before I left, they made it so that you couldn't buy chocolate or unhealthy foods without getting something else, that was healthy, like a sandwich or orange juice.
Billwaa
well, I prefer to eat healthier food. But banning it? that's a bit extreme. In China, they ban soda in some school cafe.
silverdown
I used to watch movies with him in it now I can't and I don't know why. it just another way to take freedom from the American citizens. I don't think he will be re-elected only because most of them don't like what he is doing. Personally myself I don't like it either, but that is the way he does things and maybe if he has luck he could be re-elected. Maybe he is doing the bes to help have a healthier community, however he should force people to become healthy it should be ones choice. If he placed nutritionists in each school maybe they can work with the students to help them eat what they like and become healthier.I also think he was a better actor! Shocked
FirecrackerLabels
I have no problem removing it all it does is cauce temptation to the kids when they walk by it all day. They never had anything like this when I went to school and we some how survived, if someone tries to bring it to school it is hard to stop them but why put it right in front of them all day. Out of sight out of mind surely won't hurt anyone.
eggg
The "people should be have the freedom to choose what they eat" argument makes zero sense. For one thing, no one's talking about the availability of this food outside of school, and "freedoms" are routinely curtailed on campus. For another, when was the last time you saw kale or squash or white meat (that wasn't deep fried!) or whole grain anything in a school cafeteria?

The topic of nutrition is fairly complex, and it's not given anywhere near the classtime it deserves. I had to learn about it after I got out of high school, because it flat was not taught to me. How many of you know what an amino acid is? A micronutrient? What about the variation in digestibility among different protein sources? Why is white flour less nutritious than whole wheat flower? I sure as hell didn't know any of that when I was in school! However, advertising blitz after blitz certainly kept me aware of the availability of Pepsi and McDonalds and other corporate garbage food. And I made terrible choices as a result.

And THAT is the issue. Should the school system be allowing brand name junk food on campus, and thus become, essentially, an arm of that advertising campaign? Hell no, it shouldn't!
phillyfan
At my school, we have a ban of junk food. They even got rid of snapple! For Chrsits Sake thats just like jiuce with a bit more sugar. All we have is water, milk, and sum crappy ole chips that are suppose to b good for yea...yea rite...the school just wants our money. but there are sum cookies the size of a nickel and nobody buys themmm. its a freaking waste to c 600 cookies go down in the garbadge when there are africans starving their ass off and are willing to eat mud.
skygaia
Schools in South Korea are starting simillar thing. untill now, it depends on the principal of schools. But these days the governmet laid the bill before parliament. So it's impossible to buy junk food at a school soon.
watersoul
Here in the UK, central government has issued orders to local education authorities to include healthy alternatives on menu's, and "guidence" to start phasing out high fat foods.
Since "guidence" usually leads to future laws here, many education authority's, including my own, are already offering only low fat options to try reduce the child obesity levels growing in the country.

I totally agree with it really, as a school takes a responsibility as parent when kids are there, so offering the healthiest options to the children in their care has to be the best thing.
I don't agree with removing parent/child choice though, such as refusing unhealthy packed lunches into the school. Like it or not, until junk food is actually made illegal, it's still a parents choice to feed it to their kids.
Chelissamow
Instead of banning all junk food, I think it'd be a better idea to just introduce more healthy foods to the vending machines so the kids can make their own choice with what to eat. Also, they could just sell more appealing and healthy foods in the cafeteria so the students can actually fill up instead of eating empty junk.
TurtleShell
They have every right to ban junk food in schools. School is a controlled environment and they ban things all the time. They ban inappropriate clothing, weapons, smoking, vulgar and hateful language, and if they want to ban junk food, so be it. I don't know how much good it will do, but obesity is a huge problem and I guess I'm glad they're doing something to address it.

That said, I'm with those who say that education is the real key to solving the problem. They also need to subsidize the right foods--there's a good article from earlier this year that addresses this issue. This first appeared in April's NYTimes magazine. Take a look: http://www.ecoliteracy.org/publications/michael_pollan_farm_bill.html

In the US the wrong foods have been made cheap and accessible.
ssthanapati
Well I think they did the right thing by banning junk food. If people are having so little IQ then there is no other option> and for the same reason Drugs have been banned cus people were too dumb to understand its ill effects. I think some of u people will agree with me
Davidgr1200
I think that adults should have the right to eat what they like, but food which causes illnesses (aka junk food) should be taxed more to pay for the costs to society. Children, on the other hand, should be protected from causing themselves harm as they don't know any better. Part of this is the parents' job, of course, but schools for children should not encourage bad habits, whether it be smoking, drugs, or bad food. Schools are there for children to learn, preferably to learn "good" things.
mimsxmassacre
The U.S. is the fattest country...but other countries are catching up. I think this whole mentality of always eating hamburgers and fries, eating lots of junk food, eating foods filled with pesticides and preservatives, and little exercise is what's making people so fat. I live in Italy, and I notice that the younger generation of Italians are a lot fatter compared to their parents. They eat a lot more potato chips, ice-creams, etc. and get less exercise (it's always computers, computers, computers) than their parents did....and you see the results!
tony
myrevolt wrote:

it seems the responses are overwhelmingly against the ban. but... i will dare to be different

hah!

for me...i dont see the problem with this ban... maybe... it makes sense to me; why encourage poor eating habits? the public school system is run by the government which is the responsibility of protecting the rights of its citizens, one of which is the right to life... and life is endangered by poor lifestyle....
kenprescott21
Its not so much that the junk food is bad. It's because kids these days are lazy. Parents are lazy, everyone lazy especially in America. When I was in school I ate all kinds of junkfood but I was also always outside doing something productive with my childhood. Better parenting = no junk food problems.
jtayl153
my highschool has banned any type of soft drink and lollies

yet they still sell chocolate milk, chips, ice cream

wierd
evilryu530
i say hell yea, gotta do that. too much freedom can be a bad thing! we have to regulate junk food big time, 1/3 of the us population is obests and has diabetes....50% chance in black and mexican kids. this isn't good!
amysanders
well if it increases childrens potential then its a good idea, kinda scared me at first when i saw ban snacks i thought it ment in every day society
heartbeat
hahaha jjunk food wont be banned forsome time beacause the most powerful organizations in the world live from junk food profits! only when the new order is implemented there will be changes, global changes not just in food, but food will be of utmost importance! we are what we eat. every 7 years all the cells from our body are completly renewed (apart from brain) if you ate junk food for 7 years your body must be really disgusting inside..... CHANGE YOUR FOOD HABITS TO THE BETTER! YOUR WAY OF FEEDING IS 50% of your happiness! PREFER ORGANIC, DONT EAT ANIMAL NUTRIENTS, OR DONT EAT SO MUCH ANIMALS. EAT FRUIT!!!!! EAT DRY FRUITS!!! EAT WHOLE CEREALS!!! DONT EAT WHITE PRODUCTS LIKE WHITE FLOUR AND WHITE SUGAR AND WHITE BREAD!!! DONT EAT SOCIAL VENOMS!

EAT LIFE DIRECTLY FROM ITS SOURCE AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE BLOOM INSIDE YOU Smile

EXPERIMENT THIS AT LEAST A MONTH IN YOUR LIFE DISREGARDING ANY PREVIOUS EXPERIMENT LIKE DOCUMENTARIES AND ARTICLES AND SHIT. CANT YOU FEEL FOR YOURSELF WITHOUT BEING INFLUENCED BY LIZZARDS??? Wink
KatanaSky
I don't think they should ban the "junk food" - I just think they should make "healthy food" more accessible. What I found a little annoying at school was that all of the vending machines only had soda. There were days I'd be craving apple juice or orange juice but the only alternative we had was water.

I think schools who haven't already, should make healthy foods more accessible and they should educate the students more of what exactly is going in their body when they munch on bags and bags of chips, cookies, and bottles of soda.

I don't think it would help simply banning the junk food - it may just cause students to want them more. That's my opinion on that at least.
indianinworld
How much ever you eat, as long as they are burned - it is not a problem at all. It all starts when you eat a lot and fail to work with sweat Smile

Junk food -> Any oily food can be termed as Junk Food. For example French Fries can be termed as Junk Food. Ofcourse one can take once in a while. But not as many times Smile

Heat Healthier - sorry : Eat Healthier, THink BETter.........

Keep Smiling

PatTheGreat42
Tell you what, my initial reaction to stuff like this is that people should be responsible for their own mistakes. You wanna live off junk food and die of liver failure by the time you're old enough to drink? Then go right ahead.

However, you do have to think of the children. There are parents out there who will let their own kid eat nothing but junk food, and they'll get horrendousely fat. I saw a news program about kid sumo wrestlers (in America), and they weighed, no kidding, over 150 pounds at 5 to 7 years old. They just ate McDonalds all day.

Who would do that to their kids?!

Maybe no one under 21 should be allowed to eat fried burgers. Or fries.

Mmmmm. Now I want a shake.
unknownc1c
haha schools always try to ban stuff, but it never really works out. My school tried banning back-packs in the hallway, but that didn't work out too well, just pissed people off. He can try to ban junk food but it'll never work. As for not selling those products, well from what i know of schools in pennsylvania, most school don't sell un-healthy foods anymore. They've all gone to healthy fries, baked chips, healthy cookies, etc. It really sucks >.<
raine dragon
So, my high school decided to ban the sale of junk food out of machines during school hours when I was going there (00-04). The thing is, when they did that, they just turned the machines off.

That meant that you couldn't buy a soda and chips.

It also meant that you couldn't buy an orange juice or a healthy snack.

I personally have chronic low blood pressure, so I have to eat a lot of salt. The whole big push to make food more healthy has then stripping sodium out of everything. I'm finding it harder and harder to find otherwise healthy snacks that still have large amounts of sodium in them, because salt is 'bad'.

Granted, I'm not in great shape, but at the same time, my blood pressure medicine makes me retain water. I eat quite healthily and I do not overeat; in fact I under-eat if anything. That doesn't make me skinny.

It's great that people want to be more healthy, but what about people like me with other dietary concerns? And, does forbidding people from buying things really make them more healthy?
deanhills
raine dragon wrote:
I personally have chronic low blood pressure, so I have to eat a lot of salt. The whole big push to make food more healthy has then stripping sodium out of everything. I'm finding it harder and harder to find otherwise healthy snacks that still have large amounts of sodium in them, because salt is 'bad'.

Granted, I'm not in great shape, but at the same time, my blood pressure medicine makes me retain water. I eat quite healthily and I do not overeat; in fact I under-eat if anything. That doesn't make me skinny.

It's great that people want to be more healthy, but what about people like me with other dietary concerns? And, does forbidding people from buying things really make them more healthy?

I don't think junk food is bad. It is over consumption of it on a regular basis over a long period of time that may not be that healthy. Probably much better to pack home made snacks. If one has low blood sugar one probably needs to eat regular meals with snacks in between to keep the blood sugar steady. Salt is important, but the salt in whole foods probably more healthy than crisps from a vending machine. If they could replace those junk foods with healthy junk foods that would be the ideal of course.
Asap170
Personally, junk food is amazing. Yes it may be bad for you and only affects some people not everyone. I think we should focus on how to increase our metabolism so that way junk food is fine and we won't be obese. I have a lot of friends that eat a lot more then me in junk food and yet they still look like a twig.

High metabolisms and photographic memory are the two qualities that drive me nuts because it makes a person look so smart, but in reality they may have no common sense. All they are good for is memorizing stuff which will get you some places, but not as much as common sense will.