FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Winzip, winrar...

karysky
Hello,

I want to put videos on my web site but they are too large (something like 100 MB)..

What's the best way to reduce their size? Zipping them with Winzip or Winrar?

Or is there another, easier way?

Thanks.
gh0stface
Winrar. With WinRAR you are also able to break like a 100mb video down to 10 10 meg RAR files. That way you can upload it to numerous websites. When you break it down, it'll be something like:

ARCHIVENAME.r01
ARCHIVENAME.r02
ARCHIVENAME.rar or so. Then you just double click the .rar one and extract it like normal. Just make sure all these files are in the same directory.
mark
WinRAR is a good tool to do that. Yep, it would surely decrease the total size by about 80-90%. But I still think that zip would be better.
sugarbox
Have you ever tried 7-Zip or Power Archive yet?
It's great.
They have more than 7 types of compression.
you should try those... : Wink
uknowgary
I recommend 7-zip. You can download it from www.download.com. It's opersource software (free and nospyware). It's copression ratio is impressive.
S3nd K3ys
uknowgary wrote:
I recommend 7-zip. You can download it from www.download.com. It's opersource software (free and nospyware). It's copression ratio is impressive.

I'm in on the 7zip. It also has a good command line interface making it easy to automate tasks. It can handle winzip and winrar files too.
karysky
I have Winrar...

How do you break down a video, gh0stface ??

How do you get the different ARCHIVENAME.r01, ARCHIVENAME.r02
... ?

Thanks...
Ranfaroth
RAR format is patented, so many users won't be able to open RAR files.
So I also recommand you to use 7-zip, which by the way, have best rate than RAR.
gh0stface
karysky wrote:
I have Winrar...

How do you break down a video, gh0stface ??

How do you get the different ARCHIVENAME.r01, ARCHIVENAME.r02
... ?

Thanks...

I'm not quite sure how to do it, but I believe this is how you do it.

1. Take your 100MB video and right click it.
2. Select "Add to archive..." after you select Winrar will popup asking you for the archive name.
3. Towards the bottom left hand corner, there's an option for "Split to volume, bytes". I believe that is how you break your large files into smaller .rar files.
4. I believe you can either enter the byte size manually or you can autodetect. The choice is up to you.

I think this is how you break it down. I never had the need to do so, so I could be wrong.
wrightbros
You can't actually reduce the size much of compressed video (assuming DivX/XviD or MPEG) using ZIP or RAR. what you could do is re-encode using virtualdub (freeware), and a lower bitrate with XviD (freeware).
Nameless
Winrar. From personal experience, winrar can reduce the size of pretty much anything WAY more than winzip. I've got video files on my site, and winrar about 1/3 the video size, even when the video is in compressed format (mind you, that also has something to do with the type of video... but you get the idea)
TheGeek
i personally like the new 7zip format.

its available with programs such as zip genious. The only problem is that its not commonly used yet, so most people wont be able to un-zip it.

winrar would be the next best thing.
budazz
having problem with videos right?... Idea
karysky
Hello,

Thank you all for you advices. I was able to reduce the size and everything...

But now, I have another question. When I download the file from my web page, I cannot scroll the video. That is to say, I am obliged to listen to the whole video, not just parts of it by scrolling the menu bar left to right. I use Windows media player. And when I try it with Winamp, when I try to sroll to the middle of the video, it just stucks there.

Is there a way to correct it? I want people to be able to see their favorite parts of the movie without having to always start from the beginning...

And yes, I can scroll the video with my original version...

Thanks again.
karysky
Ok the problem was that it didn't upload totally... so the file was broken.

Now everything's fine, I can scroll through my video and everything.

Laughing

I love Frihost! lol
razmad
tq for all
viper34
i sudggest u use the win-ace tool its more great that the others ..
it has more options and can compress more better ..
so just go to google.com and write "winace download" and do the rest ..
yjwong
All zipping-tools suggestion are wrong.
You can't compress a video easily... You can compress up to minimum of 90% of its original size.

You'll need a video converter.
However, converting to other smaller-size formats may cause the quality to degrade.
eday2010
Converting the video is the smarter idea, though if I had to pick a file compressor, it would be WinRAR. It has many more options than WinZip; at least the last time I used WinZip it did.Now, back to video compression...

If your video is MPEG, then you should definately compress is. Compressing a video to an DivX or Xvid avi file is the best option. Get the codecs, as well as the Radium MP3 audio codec, and a program like VirtualDubMPEG or VirtualDub (the MPEG version can open VOB files). There are sites that explain how to use the program and how to get the most out of it. Do at least 2 passes on render, and you can get some pretty small file sizes with a pretty decent quality video. Smile
webbone
You can use file split tools like hjsplit,It's a very small appliction,and very fast!I use it usually!
smallcalf
Does anyone know any software that can break a video file into parts that can be played separately?

The waterfall plunges in mist. Who can describe this desolate scene:

the long white river sliding through, the emerald shadows of the ancient canopy

...a shepherd's horn echoing on the valley, fishnets stretched to dry on sandy flats.

A bell is tolling, fading, fading, just like love. Only poetry lasts
thinkping
yes RAR is patented but you can also use the sharewareversion, which has a nag but is also using.

I would use 7-zip for really MAX compression, but this is so slowly you cannot image, everything on max compression needs on a 10.000RMP Harddisk with really fast computer also long time

so if you really need max compression use 7-zip I think but calculate much time for compression Smile

Winrar rulez! I use it since v1.5 from the old dostimes and I like it much....

but as everywhere every programm has it pros and contras

Ranfaroth wrote:
RAR format is patented, so many users won't be able to open RAR files.
So I also recommand you to use 7-zip, which by the way, have best rate than RAR.
Ranfaroth
thinkping wrote:
yes RAR is patented but you can also use the sharewareversion
No : it's closed source.
thinkping
hehe we are both false in some way, the unrarcode is GPL, the encoder is proprietary, so I learned something new but Its still usable as a trial Wink

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
SunburnedCactus
WinRAR is best for media files by far.

Not really sure what WinZip is actually good at... Confused
thinkping
winzip is wincrap *gg*
winrar is good for every porpous I think, you can even use it for zip-files and when it has to go very fast I use sometimes it to generate zipfiles...
Ranfaroth
thinkping wrote:
hehe we are both false in some way, the unrarcode is GPL, the encoder is proprietary
It's not so simple.
Some versions of the extration algorithm are free (1 and maybe 2, I don't remember). But last extraction code's version (3), the most used when encoding with WinRAR, is still closed source...
ammonkc
I would have to agree. winrar is probably the best program for this. it splits the file in to multiple archives and has a good compression. thats why most movies out there on the net are archived that way. a lot of the movies and wares on bitTorrent are .rar and almost everything on irc xdcc are rar.
xtremepc
WinRAR Is better by far
d0nn3r
rar them first and split the rar files. you can then zip each rar file into a new zip file Razz
SoftStag
Winrar is better, but many users do not have software installed to open RAR files. Therefore I think you are better using ZIP to create files to download.
T3 Architect
I have to go with Winwar cause lets just say i Hate WInzip its a pain to work
ammonkc
I agree. I have both just incase (actually I don't know why) but I only really use winrar. its fast and its stable.
limcopy
winrar is better which can support various type of compress format for linux or windows
prongs_386
i believe a program called virtual dub should be able to both reencode video to smaller size(with the right video codec installed eg divx) It can also split video into several parts