FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tips for Prospective Undergraduates

rogue_skydragon
I was mulling over my four years in college, and couldn't help but think about what I could have done differently. It was mostly a reaction to how I could make my life now a little bit easier. So, I'm posting this thread as a sort of compendium of funny or serious tips for college undergrads.

Tip #1
Avoid taking out student loans as much as possible. The money you borrow isn't free, and will almost certainly weigh you down, limit your potential, and make a free life after college so much more difficult.

Tip #2
Always use protection.

Tip #3
Step out of your comfort zone. Push yourself to wake up earlier, meet as many people as you can, and try new things. You'll have some interesting stories to tell afterward, making you that much more interesting as a person.

Tip #4
Eat well. Put down the Ramen, and try cooking stir fry or eating more fruits and veggies.

Tip #5
Call mom and dad whenever you can.
Voodoocat
I think you left out one of the most important tips: study! College isn't glorified babysitting like high school all too often is. College professors sling out the work and assignments and (unlike high school) actually expect you to put the effort into learning what has been taught.
panpanman
My big tip is to do your own looking around. Find out what's on offer and what you can get.

Especially with Scholarships. I had a scholarship worth about $50000, covering all my tutition fees, fortnightly allowances and vacation work. The funny thing is, despite how attractive it was, only 25 people applied for it, and they gave these scholarships to about 6 people in the year I went through!

So LOOK OUT for this stuff! It can really help you in the long run. And it's always worth applying!
GoldenEagle
My big tip is to discuss everything. If you don't understand why you didn't do well on an assignment make sure to go to the professor and learn what went wrong. Beyond learning what the professor is looking for in future works, the discussion can clue in your professor to what you were thinking and might impact your grade.

Anecdote:

I was taking an engineering test for my Introduction to Biomedical engineering and there was a question about determining the pressure exerted on red blood cells traveling through a tube. I wasn't familiar with the Hagen–Poiseuille equation (at the time) and attempted to derive it in the exam. Of course, I was a factor of 3 off and in my haste the (attempted) derivation was not clear. I received a 68 on the exam, losing all of the points on my exam. I actually went in to ask the professor how to derive the equation and showed him my exam. He noticed what I was trying to do and I got 25 of the points back. I ended with an A in the class and this relationship helped in the next few classes I had with him.
bukaida
In today's competetive world, my former teacher used to say--MAN, YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING.
So you will have a lot of work to do during your college days( Academic & non-academic). Some people also pursue a parallel course along with the main course. But what ever you do, donot think too much about it as it creates tension. According to me, Tension is a thing which should not be taken/given at any point of time. Very Happy
GoldenEagle
bukaida wrote:
In today's competetive world, my former teacher used to say--MAN, YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING.
So you will have a lot of work to do during your college days( Academic & non-academic). Some people also pursue a parallel course along with the main course. But what ever you do, donot think too much about it as it creates tension. According to me, Tension is a thing which should not be taken/given at any point of time. Very Happy

I guess another good piece of advice is to pursue something you like if you think it can be made successful BUT also prepare yourself for something that WILL be successful. I have a philosophy degree in mathematical logic, but it was part of a chemical engineering double major. Guess what field employed me out of college?
inuyasha
Thanks for your tips! I can't agree more to your tip 4 Very Happy
But tip 5 seems quite hard for me. After all, the fee of a distant phone call is quite expensive. Shocked
davidv
inuyasha wrote:
Thanks for your tips! I can't agree more to your tip 4 Very Happy
But tip 5 seems quite hard for me. After all, the fee of a distant phone call is quite expensive. Shocked

I second tip #4! and I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I read tip #2. Kudos on the advice. I'm a 1st year undergrad student and ahh, i'll definitely look out for those scholarships too.