FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teaching English Abroad...

rogue_skydragon
Have you done it? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences and advice. Did you like it? Hate it?

The reason I ask is because I'm overdue for another adventure, and I'd really like to travel somewhere exotic while being able to make money to pay off some of my student loans. I am considering teaching english as a foreign language in either Thailand, South Korea, or Chile. And each of these programs would offer differing amounts of pay.
drummer
I'd like to do that, but it will be another case, because my nation language is not english, and i don't speak it so well
iiinvest
I have been teaching English in Seoul South Korea for about a year now and it has been a great experience. Before I came here I was quite well aware of the culture and could speak basic Korean. I highly recommend that wherever you go that you learn at least the basics of the language and culture and the experience should be more memorable.

As for living in Seoul specifically, there are tons of opportunities to work with children or adults and the culture here is so much different then the West. In my opinion, the food here is healthier and cheaper and cost of living is lower than the US. You would be able to save a large chunk of money around $20,000 a year if your good at saving.

I haven't lived permanently in a different country and other countries have different cultures, etc, but I would highly recommend living abroad for a few years to widen your life experiences.
Insanity
I've always wanted to travel, but like you I've been low on money. I think teaching English abroad is a great way to do it, although you're kind of stuck in that country for a while until your teaching stint is over. This has the risk of you not liking the country and then being stuck there to finish out the rest of the job. But if it's a country you like, then all is well. You might want to travel to that country or other countries to see which ones suit you the most before investing in a long-term job there.
zbale
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Have you done it? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences and advice. Did you like it? Hate it?

The reason I ask is because I'm overdue for another adventure, and I'd really like to travel somewhere exotic while being able to make money to pay off some of my student loans. I am considering teaching english as a foreign language in either Thailand, South Korea, or Chile. And each of these programs would offer differing amounts of pay.

Sounds like great opportunities!

I've never been to any of those countries but I'm sure any of them is a cool place to visit. Teaching is a great way to earn money without spending all of your time inside. Also, the advantage is that you meet local people that way (instead of sticking around with other tourists).

What are the arguments in favor or against each country? Do you speak any of the languages spoken there?
deanhills
rogue_skydragon wrote:

I'm certain it's a great idea. I've been hesitating with taking a CELTA course for teaching English to ESL students, however it is quite tough. One-month of intense drilling and preparation. Or you can do it part-time, but I think I should do this during a holiday one day. Most people I know who have taken the course say it has opened real doors for them.
inuyasha
I've no such experience but I've been taught Very Happy
It seems we Chinese students are not so active as our oral English teacher expected. I guess it's the same in other eastern countries like South Korea, Japan and Thailand. We are not active because we've been taught to be quiet, listen carefully and sit still. We wouldn't get active until the foreign teacher is activating for too long Very Happy , especially in high school and universities.
So it's really necessary to know how to break the ice. Very Happy
SonLight
deanhills wrote:
I'm certain it's a great idea. I've been hesitating with taking a CELTA course for teaching English to ESL students, however it is quite tough. One-month of intense drilling and preparation. Or you can do it part-time, but I think I should do this during a holiday one day. Most people I know who have taken the course say it has opened real doors for them.

I see that they don't have any centers ( excuse me, "centres" ) offering that program in the United States. I suppose the online part could still be done here, but then it would be necessary to go to Canada or Europe for the teaching practice and the exam.

I suppose they don't offer it in the US because we don't speak the language properly ...
newberie
well,i have no idea bout this,but sounds good and gon try if possible
celebi269
rogue_skydragon wrote:

You can try teaching in Japanese via online conversation. There are many sites doing that, but the only I know is Rarejob but it's only available for Filipinos.
lrj945
rogue_skydragon wrote:

Come to china. We are in badly need of english teachers, and you will be well paid.